Women's World Cup Finals - Page 22 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Nationalists like to gloat on Scotland's failure, sort of vindicates they were right and the majority of Scotland was wrong.

You must have more neck than a giraffe to come out with that shite with what's going on right now never mind what's happened since 2014

1 hour ago, SlamDuncan said:

I think this is an area VAR should not be used and it really is stacked against the keeper. The problem with using VAR here is that it means applying the letter of the law rather than the spirit of it. The rule is there to stop keepers running out towards the ball, not to stop the keeper moving half a foot off the line while moving to dive.

I hope the two examples of this we've seen in this tournament are enough for FIFA to see this is a wrong application of VAR. It wasn't used this way in LaLiga all last season so not sure why it's being used like that here

That being said, at 3-0 up with 15 to play it's shouldn't be coming down to a last minute penalty...

Last seasons La Liga and the rule changes as of 1st June make your point totally insignificant. 

15 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Last seasons La Liga and the rule changes as of 1st June make your point totally insignificant. 

I was unaware of the rule change so fair enough that's why it's applied here and wasn't I matches with VAR previously like LaLiga, UCL etc...

Still think VAR should not be used for this but since my opinion is 'totally insignificant' to you I'll not bore you any further with my thoughts on it...

16 minutes ago, SlamDuncan said:

I was unaware of the rule change so fair enough that's why it's applied here and wasn't I matches with VAR previously like LaLiga, UCL etc...

Still think VAR should not be used for this but since my opinion is 'totally insignificant' to you I'll not bore you any further with my thoughts on it...

Thank you 

VAR has serious problems and the ref was horrendous, but we can't blame it for all our misfortune tonight.

In all three games, we have been very late at making changes. Why did we make our first change(s) in about the 85th minute. Surely at 3-0, you should be looking to slow the game down and change some of the runners.

The team have done amazing just to qualify, it's even harder to qualify for a Women's World Cup than the Mens and there were good European teams not there ; but we really have no one to blame but ourselves for crashing out.

There's a decent nucleus of players there though. And I hope we can go from strength to strength and they have inspired some to play the game, and go along to their qualifiers in August. Back-to-back tournaments is a great achievement, but I hope they can really push on and learn from the mistakes of last night.

We're hosting the U19 Euros as well in July, so we'll see if there is a bit more talent coming through. There's also a great opportunity to qualify for the U20s World Cup. 8 teams, 2 groups and 5 qualify for the World Cup. Two groups ; four teams - go through to semi finals whilst the two 3rd placed teams playoff for the last WC spot. I'm guessing by looking at the names of the teams in our group, we have a difficult draw but if we can get through the group or in to the playoff for the last WC spot and win that then it would surely be another great achievement for the ladies game.

As disappointing as crashing out has been tonight, and some of the play/decision making has been at times throughout the WC, there is certainly been a lot of excitement and there's a side there alright. A lot to be positive about and to push on for, and whilst it feels like a defeat and we did blow it tonight, I hope folk get behind them and go to the qualifiers. They made mistakes, but let's hope we can learn and move on from this.

We were three nil up last night and looking comfortable, playing some of the best stuff I'd seen from a Scotland team for some time. They had taken off one of their best players, it was going so well. Yet even then there's that feeling of how are we going to conspire to mess it up. In any sport you've go two options with defeat, look at others or look at yourselves. Subs we're far too late on we could have done with some fresh legs ten minutes before hand, then there were a catalogue of individual mistakes. Full backs have been a weakness all competition, I wonder if Kerr regrets not taking Mitchell? I feel very sorry for Alexander, I suspect it must be very difficult for a keeper to change a lifetime of habits over night. However even in the pre tournament friendlies there was a slackness in our defending and credit to Argentina they took advantage of it. VAR is not our friend but we have to look at ourselves and learn. The women did well to qualify for the tournament, I think they'll know they could have gone further.

feel for them.

Feels very unfair for a goalkeeper to be penalised for that.  Would have thought the rules should be there to make the game fair and more enjoyable.

It's clear common sense over letter of law has been fine for years.  a yard or a line in front of the goal line would solve the infrequent issue its trying to guard against.

I'd feel sorry for England in a WC final if this is how it all crumbled.    

Edited by PapofGlencoe

9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

You must have more neck than a giraffe to come out with that shite with what's going on right now never mind what's happened since 2014

I took his comment to mean that certain nationalists on TAMB see EVERYTHING through the narrow prism of their nationalist cause and in this case their bitterness shows through.

To assert that the outcome of 1 football game can be used to define the psyche of a nation is ludicrous. how many teams lost a 3 goal lead last season.

I can think of Barca for one and its not like they come from a region thats struggling to assert its separatist identity .......oh wait.....carry on

11 hours ago, UpTheSlope said:

More glorious failure pish

What was the glorious part?

11 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

Yes the referee clearly warned her about that. Not only did she dive, but she was off here line before the kick was taken.

As she was yellow carded she would have missed the next match if cautioned again although like the first, the second penalty was poor.

Just heard Rachel Corsie say Scotland were `magnificent' and blaming the decisions therefore totally deflecting from the fact we let a three goal lead slip..

Expect they'll come home to a heroes welcome now.

One point from three games - if this was the mens team they'd be getting slaughtered.

Not just the one point in 3 games but going out after leading 3-0 with 15 mins to go in a must win game. This place would be in full meltdown mode, with multiple threads erupting across forums basically going nuts slagging everyone.

Fair play to the ladies they have taken us to a new level of embarrassing humiliation. This is why women's football is a bad idea, it just doubles the misery.

Here we go again. Politics has now managed fo weave its way into the women's game.

Fcks sake, everyone on this board must know what side of the fence I sit politically but it is tedious as hell to listen to this ‘ its the Unions fault’ / ‘no its isnt’ at every opportunity. 

Can we just concentrate on the football. Being a woman I am using my prerogative 🙂

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Here we go again. Politics has now managed fo weave its way into the women's game.

Fcks sake, everyone on this board must know what side of the fence I sit politically but it is tedious as hell to listen to this ‘ its the Unions fault’ / ‘no its isnt’ at every opportunity. 

Can we just concentrate on the football. Being a woman I am using my prerogative 🙂

Haha well put. 

Horrible way to go out but I thought we played well in sections of each game, there’s potential there and no shame in being behind countries who’ve more funding etc 

8 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

VAR has serious problems and the ref was horrendous, but we can't blame it for all our misfortune tonight.

In all three games, we have been very late at making changes. Why did we make our first change(s) in about the 85th minute. Surely at 3-0, you should be looking to slow the game down and change some of the runners.

The team have done amazing just to qualify, it's even harder to qualify for a Women's World Cup than the Mens and there were good European teams not there ; but we really have no one to blame but ourselves for crashing out.

There's a decent nucleus of players there though. And I hope we can go from strength to strength and they have inspired some to play the game, and go along to their qualifiers in August. Back-to-back tournaments is a great achievement, but I hope they can really push on and learn from the mistakes of last night.

We're hosting the U19 Euros as well in July, so we'll see if there is a bit more talent coming through. There's also a great opportunity to qualify for the U20s World Cup. 8 teams, 2 groups and 5 qualify for the World Cup. Two groups ; four teams - go through to semi finals whilst the two 3rd placed teams playoff for the last WC spot. I'm guessing by looking at the names of the teams in our group, we have a difficult draw but if we can get through the group or in to the playoff for the last WC spot and win that then it would surely be another great achievement for the ladies game.

As disappointing as crashing out has been tonight, and some of the play/decision making has been at times throughout the WC, there is certainly been a lot of excitement and there's a side there alright. A lot to be positive about and to push on for, and whilst it feels like a defeat and we did blow it tonight, I hope folk get behind them and go to the qualifiers. They made mistakes, but let's hope we can learn and move on from this.

I think although they have justifiable cause about moaning about the officiating but in the cold light of day will realise it came down to collective inexperience.  Not allowing the subs to get into position before the Argentinians to take the free kick was bizarre plus the injury time was just nonsense and the new keeper rule is going to cause bedlam as can’t see how a keeper can save a peno now – all the striker has to do is stutter to make them move and they have a free re-take. 

However, all the way through they have been scenario planning for being in touch at the last game to give them a shot.  Nobody could expect them to be 3-0 up and our inexperience showed really – at that point NZ or Cameroon would have had to win 5-0 and Chile 6-0 so should have just parked the bus.  For their first goal at least 5 of our team got caught in front of the ball and it all fell in from there. 

They really wanted to be the first Scotland team to get to a knockout round but once the dust settles they’ll realise they have achieved their goal in raising the profile of the women’s side anyway.  I watched them on Alba four years ago to take the piss and would never have imagined now I’m genuinely gutted they got knocked out.  Literally nobody spoke about the Euros at work and how many folk on here gave much of a shit two years ago?    

Hopefully keep the momentum up with qualification into the Euros 2021 in England and have learnt from the errors of the previous two tournaments.  Can’t see many retiring between now and then and the qualifying group seems ok on paper (Finland 32 and Portugal 30) so hopefully there isn’t a hangover from this tournament. 

The reason we drew is because we were not good enough against a team made up of amatuers.  Incorrect decisions made on and off the pitch.  We were cruising at 3-0.  It was superb.  Then with a cross could have made it 4-1 but Cuthbert did not expect ball to come to her.  Then we know the rest and itvwas oh so horribly familiar.

Not making any subs in the first 80 mins of the 3rd group match is criminal. I’m saying that losing 3 goals can’t all be the managers fault. 

Even if the penalty call is technically correct it’s not in the spirit of the game to micromanage and correct every single aspect of the game. VAR is changing the game and not necessarily for the better.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Thats not what was said. What is being said is Scotland always find a way of fucking it up and some believe out country lacks in confidence both in sport and in politics. 

10 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Not making any subs in the first 80 mins of the 3rd group match is criminal. I’m saying that losing 3 goals can’t all be the managers fault. 

Even if the penalty call is technically correct it’s not in the spirit of the game to micromanage and correct every single aspect of the game. VAR is changing the game and not necessarily for the better.

It is a bit galling too that they’re not doing the same in the men’s U21 tournament and the premier league have confirmed they won’t be using it to check on this.  As such, there’s already seemingly a realisation in the men’s game that the rule is pish – why they don’t just get the ref to spray foam a yard from the line is beyond me. 

I think the players need a look at themselves too as they seemed to go gung-ho at 3-0 up then were like rabbit caught in headlights once they scored.  A sub should have been made though sooner even if just to clarify that they should have been defending what they had rather than aiming for more goals. 

It’ll be even more annoying tonight that it’ll likely prove 3-0 was more than enough. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Haha well put. 

Horrible way to go out but I thought we played well in sections of each game, there’s potential there and no shame in being behind countries who’ve more funding etc 

There is when you have victory in your hands and then you throw it away. That VAR nonsense shouldn't have had such a big effect on the game, Scotland gave that game away before then

2 hours ago, The Golden Vision said:

how many teams lost a 3 goal lead last season.

I can think of Barca for one 

Not a good comparison as Barca's 3-0 lead was built in their home leg. Away legs are completely different games.

Last night was the worst example of game management i've ever seen. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The VAR decision but the Scotland game management was a joke at 3-0 up.

Really, really don't understand why the manager waited so long to make subs and then made a double sub.

Naïve in the extreme.

In addition, the worst aspect of it was making two unenforced substitutions when defending a free-kick in a dangerous area.

Edited by Barney Rubble

41 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There is when you have victory in your hands and then you throw it away. That VAR nonsense shouldn't have had such a big effect on the game, Scotland gave that game away before then

Aye true, we should be beating Argentina regardless, losing to Japan and England was different. 

23 hours ago, romanticscot said:

You heard one of the players say this, what was said exactly and by who? 

It was either a player or Kerr but it was on the news, a terrible attitude and poor planning. Doesn't put belief in the team at all.

16 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Is it just me and my nervousness but is Emslie also having a stinker? 

She had good and bad moments in all of the games, thinks a bit much of herself and doesn't get her head up and pass at times. 

15 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Erin Cuthbert is a cracking player, full of heart and a grafter.

She really is, works her arse off too, glad she got a goal at least because she thoroughly deserved it.