Women's World Cup Finals - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

2 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Just hope we have a go from the start tonight. Whether we qualify or not I am sure it has been a great experience for the team and hopefully they can kick on from here.

We literally have nothing to lose,  so yes, lets hope we find our rhythm from the off.  This was always going to be a big ask on their first world cup but you literally couldn't buy the experience it has brought the women. Here’s also hoping the fans will push the team on, they have been excellent.

@Flure and the gang, I expect to hear that voice of yours booming round the stadium. The one you use for singing in cathedrals and yelling at Lady Flure when she burns your dauphinoise potatoes . 

10 hours ago, SlamDuncan said:

At the start of the final round of group matches we needed 2 results from 7 games to go our way along with us beating Argentina tomorrow. 

So far 1 result has gone our way out of 5 so still need 1 more result from only 2 games! Of course, if we don't beat Argentina tomorrow it will all be academic anyway.

If we do go through we'll meet Germany in the next round! Tough break...

1 out of 5 ,😕, how depressing.

Should we win tonight, does anyone know any venues in Valencia that may be showing the Cameroon and Chile games  ? I am travelling there tomorrow. Almost as tough an ask as a win tonight I know . 

25 minutes ago, hamilton wanderer said:

It's very much like Mexico '86.  We've lost the first 2 games but still have a dug's chance to go through if we can beat Argentina (that time it was Uruguay).

Hopefully no Stevie Nicol type sitters tonight!

I doubt if any of the lassies could make such a pathetic powder-puff attempt at goal!

We don't really deserve to go through on the first two games, yes there were bad decisions but we also did fuck all for the first 70 mins of both games then had a go and actually worried the other teams, which makes you wonder why we didnt just have a go in the first place. Heard one of the girls talking the other day and she basically said the manager had told them before the tournament the first two games wouldnt really matter and it would come down to winning the Argentina game so they were focussed on that, to me that is a fucking terrible attitude to have from the start. Why not be positive and come out fighting in the first two games. Shambles as always

4 minutes ago, Kirk said:

We don't really deserve to go through on the first two games, yes there were bad decisions but we also did fuck all for the first 70 mins of both games then had a go and actually worried the other teams, which makes you wonder why we didnt just have a go in the first place. Heard one of the girls talking the other day and she basically said the manager had told them before the tournament the first two games wouldnt really matter and it would come down to winning the Argentina game so they were focussed on that, to me that is a fucking terrible attitude to have from the start. Why not be positive and come out fighting in the first two games. Shambles as always

I can't believe we went in with the attitude that those games didn't matter. Certainly the intention was to keep it tight, and understandably so, if they'd been 2 heavy defeats we'd now be needing snookers.

We started pretty well v England but the penalty knocked us back for a while. The Japan first half was poor, don't know if it was the heat or their relentless energy but we made a lot of errors.

It does have a ring of Uruguay 86 about it, but I will be positive and compare it with the CIS in 92. 3 nil Scotland :)

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

It does have a ring of Uruguay 86 about it, but I will be positive and compare it with the CIS in 92. 3 nil Scotland :)

3-0 ?  Have you just stumbled in from Michael Gove’s after party ? 

1 hour ago, hamilton wanderer said:

It's very much like Mexico '86.  We've lost the first 2 games but still have a dug's chance to go through if we can beat Argentina (that time it was Uruguay).

Hopefully no Stevie Nicol type sitters tonight!

That clip is brilliant! 

I was young but loved that program. I think that's all our reactions when Scotland are playing. :)

Maybe the players need hypnotised into thinking they're 2 goals down before they take the field?  That's the only way they seem to start playing.

Got my money on us being fcked over by a dodgy VAR for the Argies or a blatant one for us during a temporary VAR power malfunction.

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

that is a terrible attitude and a shocker.  understand england and japan are good but they're not that good.

would be good for journos to question whether this is the case..

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

You heard one of the players say this, what was said exactly and by who? 

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

You heard one of the players say this, what was said exactly and by who? 

I've heard shelly kerr say " we know we have to win one game, it didn't have to be this one"  after the England game.

Not quite so bothered post match but if this was actually a strategy then pretty breathtaking.

The England game has come and gone, no point the coach dwelling on it, she needs to motivate her players that it is still a possibility to progress, but if you say the next two games are must win - then that is an option but the pressure on the players at that point ramps up considerably. Seems a stretch to conclude her quote equates to a strategy going into the tournament not to bother in one or more of the games, you can go ahead and read that but I don't see that at all. 

I think realising goal difference is key pushed them to fight back in both games. If we win 1-0 NZ or Cameroon need score 3 because of gd then goals scored. 

Argentina looked a bit ragged the few times they attacked so hopefully bit of space tonight. It's the hope that kills you!