Women's World Cup Finals - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

So it looks like we are through with a win unless Cameroon or New Zealand and Chile or Thailand both overcome larger goal difference than ours, we are through to the 2nd round, is that correct? 

Even Group C does not look settled as better tan us with a win, so we have three groups that could be worse than us IF we beat the Argies. 

Edited by romanticscot

17 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

So it looks like we are through with a win unless Cameroon or New Zealand and Chile or Thailand both overcome larger goal difference than ours, we are through to the 2nd round, is that correct? 

Even Group C does not look settled as better tan us with a win, so we have three groups that could be worse than us IF we beat the Argies. 

Yep. Next hope is for Italy to stick a few past Brazil tomorrow.  Then at least we might know if we've qualified on Wednesday night.

1 hour ago, in5omniac said:

Bet they wouldn't have called for a re-take if the first pen went in though!

Because if the first penalty goes in then the rules say it stands even if the keeper is off her line.

Looked a bad decision to retake though, she was barely inches off the line.  That's never going to be enforced consistently.

4 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Because if the first penalty goes in then the rules say it stands even if the keeper is off her line.

Looked a bad decision to retake though, she was barely inches off the line.  That's never going to be enforced consistently.

Ah, didn't realise that was the ruling in that case.  Just guessed it would be a blanket "keeper off the line, retake" rule

2 minutes ago, in5omniac said:

Ah, didn't realise that was the ruling in that case.  Just guessed it would be a blanket "keeper off the line, retake" rule

Nah, if the defending team commits an offence (encroachment, keeper off line) and the penalty is missed then it's retaken.

If the attacking team commits an offence (encroachment probably) and the penalty is scored it's retaken.  *

I think if the taker stutters on his run-up then it's an indirect free kick to defending team.

* unless it's France at home to Nigeria.

14 hours ago, SlamDuncan said:

Spain v China just ended in a draw... 

12 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Shocking if Nigeria lose out on a place in the second round thanks to that.

Of course its good for us like, but very harsh on Nigeria.

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Phew! 😰

12 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Cameroon. Its gonna be Cameroon 😢 And Chile. 

Seriously, this is a massive pressure for Scotland. Unfortunately I am not convinced we will beat Argentina though it will certainly be one of the more exciting Wednesday nights I have spent in a while. I have even managed to wrangle out my niece’s dancing display, though I did tell a small fib to excuse myself 😗

For punishment we will no doubt go out with VAR missing an Argie Hand of God in the penalty  area in injury time. 

28 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Cameroon. Its gonna be Cameroon 😢 And Chile. 

Seriously, this is a massive pressure for Scotland. Unfortunately I am not convinced we will beat Argentina though it will certainly be one of the more exciting Wednesday nights I have spent in a while. I have even managed to wrangle out my niece’s dancing display, though I did tell a small fib to excuse myself 😗

For punishment we will no doubt go out with VAR missing an Argie Hand of God in the penalty  area in injury time. 

Haha good work. Your secret is safe with us. 

Seriously though, based on the four matches in our group so far I do not expect Scotland to win this game at all. 

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

Nah, if the defending team commits an offence (encroachment, keeper off line) and the penalty is missed then it's retaken.

If the attacking team commits an offence (encroachment probably) and the penalty is scored it's retaken.  *

I think if the taker stutters on his run-up then it's an indirect free kick to defending team.

* unless it's France at home to Nigeria.

I'd assumed that rule had been dropped as I see it going on.

It will be a tough game.

Argentina have both played the same sides as us. And whilst they didn't create much going forward, they look solid at the back compared to us. There were a few moments in both games where you could see how skilled some of their players are.

This by no means is done and dusted and will be a very difficult game, which I can see ending in a draw. I hope I'm wrong, but Argentina will fancy their chances against us too - all the talk of us winning going through etc/ they will be doing the same. What's great about the 3rd spot meaning something to everyone.

2 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

that French var decision was awful.  minuscule margins if you're taking it to that degree.

the new rule is too hard on keepers.  they're already on a hiding to nothing as it is without having to time the kick so specifically

Yes it was really harsh, especially booking her for it.  Renard missed the goal totally anyway.

Nailed by Squires today...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2019/jun/18/david-squires-on-the-womens-world-cup-goals-and-good-old-var

Edited by Toepoke

I think the argument over the goalkeeper moving is that this could affect the penalty takers concentration and they may change their mind at the last second as to where they want to aim for. It's not as simple as saying she missed it anyway.

But I do agree it was harsh on the keeper last night.

An Italy win by at least 4 or Jamaica winning by no more than 6 will mean us winning by 1 tomorrow will be enough to send us through. If Brazil and Australia win we'll need to win and also wait for other results to go our way.

Jamaica will not beat Australia so hopefully Italy can beat Brazil. Unlikely to do it by 4 though so we'll probably need to win by more than 1 tomorrow or be waiting for other results...

On 6/14/2019 at 7:20 AM, Toepoke said:

'mon the burdz!

Now it is still (mostly) down to them...   naw, us!   We all know how tough Argentina are, so no pressure, just get out there and do what no Scots man has done!   Shelley Kerr's Tartan Army :sing:

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Not going our way tonight but it was a long shot.

It'd be nice to celebrate qualifying tomorrow but now if we can win it will be a night behind the sofa on Thursday 😞

At the start of the final round of group matches we needed 2 results from 7 games to go our way along with us beating Argentina tomorrow. 

So far 1 result has gone our way out of 5 so still need 1 more result from only 2 games! Of course, if we don't beat Argentina tomorrow it will all be academic anyway.

If we do go through we'll meet Germany in the next round! Tough break...