Women's World Cup Finals - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

2 hours ago, todd said:

But with the current format (ie more teams) how many of them could have resulted in progress to the knockouts? 3 points invariably seems to be enough to get the jammy 3rd place slot.

It was only the 82 World Cup that had a 24 team format that didn't have a 16 team 2nd round (went to a 2nd group stage of 12 teams).  In that case we would have qualified as one of the best 3rd place sides.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

It was only the 82 World Cup that had a 24 team format that didn't have a 16 team 2nd round (went to a 2nd group stage of 12 teams).  In that case we would have qualified as one of the best 3rd place sides.

That's true but the point I was trying to make is that had all the tournaments we were in been 24 team tournaments, like they are now, we would have gathered enough points to progress in possibly 4 or 5 of them.  I know it's all hypothetical but just a thought 👍

Edited by todd

8 hours ago, todd said:

That's true but the point I was trying to make is that had all the tournaments we were in been 24 team tournaments, like they are now, we would have gathered enough points to progress in possibly 4 or 5 of them.  I know it's all hypothetical but just a thought 👍

That certainly is hypothetical if groups didn't exist.

In that case at WC74 I doubt we'd have missed out with 2 draws and a win. In 78 and at Euro 96 we'd probably have had enough too.

Edited by Toepoke

It’ll be in our own hands if today France beat Nigeria and Spain (+1) v China (0) has a winner with the bigger the goal difference the better. 

I think this is the scenario they’ve been planning for since the start plus don’t see a massive advantage in finishing second as would end up with a group winner anyway.     

22 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It’ll be in our own hands if today France beat Nigeria and Spain (+1) v China (0) has a winner with the bigger the goal difference the better. 

I think this is the scenario they’ve been planning for since the start plus don’t see a massive advantage in finishing second as would end up with a group winner anyway.     

Your version sounds a lot easier than the BBC’s . Its probably the same thing but those bassas always try to make things  more difficult for us 😁 

‘’Scotland's hopes of going through will rely on them beating Argentina on the same night [also 20:00] in Paris, with anything less sending them home.

A victory should be enough for Shelley Kerr's tournament debutants to clinch one of the best third-placed spots, unless all of the following happen:

• Norway, Nigeria, Brazil and Australia all avoid defeat;
  • Spain and China draw in their Group B meeting;
  • Cameroon and New Zealand's game ends with one team winning by two goals more than Scotland beat Argentina by, or Chile beat Thailand by five goals more than the Scots' result.

But if Scotland win and finish with a better goal difference than any winners from the meetings of the strugglers in Groups E and F, they will reach the knockout stages for the first time, regardless of results in Groups A to C.

46 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Your version sounds a lot easier than the BBC’s . Its probably the same thing but those bassas always try to make things  more difficult for us 😁 

‘’Scotland's hopes of going through will rely on them beating Argentina on the same night [also 20:00] in Paris, with anything less sending them home.

A victory should be enough for Shelley Kerr's tournament debutants to clinch one of the best third-placed spots, unless all of the following happen:

• Cameroon and New Zealand's game ends with one team winning by two goals more than Scotland beat Argentina by, or Chile beat Thailand by five goals more than the Scots' result.

But if Scotland win and finish with a better goal difference than any winners from the meetings of the strugglers in Groups E and F, they will reach the knockout stages for the first time, regardless of results in Groups A to C.

So that's us oot then.  :lol: 

7 minutes ago, daviebee said:

So that's us oot then.  :lol: 

😂 I would settle for a draw right now just to put us out the agony. 

I think they are pinning their hopes on us being too thick to understand the permutations.  

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

😂 I would settle for a draw right now just to put us out the agony. 

I think they are pinning their hopes on us being too thick to understand the permutations.  

Draw, schmaw!

We're looking forward to the drive from Rennes to Grenoble on Friday!

19 hours ago, daviebee said:

It'd probably be impossible to guess that without knowing what was going on in the other groups.  What's worth noting though is that a win when there were less teams was more impressive as the standard of opposition would be higher.

As I mentioned, seriously depressing - only 6 wins since 74???  I suppose I can consider myself blessed to have seen 4 of them in person.

Only 6 wins total, ever, throughout all time. And you've got 67% of them. Well done. :ok:

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Only 6 wins total, ever, throughout all time. And you've got 67% of them. Well done. :ok:

Thanks, but it just means I'm probably the oldest bstrd on the board.  :(  Hopefully someone was in Argentina or West Germany!

9 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Spain v China just ended in a draw... 

Edited by SlamDuncan

1 minute ago, ThistleWhistle said:

VAR is well dodgy. Would they have given Nigeria the second chance in same circumstances?

Indeed.

And our game v Japan - where they didn't even look at it.

VAR could be good once its done, but its two half-arsed at the moment. I think probably something similar to tennis (although each team has one decision they can review the whole 90 minutes) rather than at the ref's discretion. Ad we all know ref's can be too inconsistent/dodgy.

I tell you VAR has the potential to improve football if used sparingly, efficiently and sensibly.

It also has the ability to completely ruin football. Of course referring to that France - Nigeria penalty retake. Absolute nonsense.

It took me long enough to decide to watch some of the WWC games and I have thoroughly enjoyed most of them. But seeing that retake being scored with the 18 year old goalkeeper in there no less absolutely disgusted me and I switched off immediately. Hard to watch.

To bring it close to home, if it intervenes for that but can't intervene on the clear dive for the Japan penalty versus Scotland a few days ago then I don't understand what they're trying to do with it.

VAR hasn't been kind to us so it's about time one went in our favour... 

But that was a terrible intervention. I think that's probably an area they should not allow VAR to intervene. If between the ref and the lines person they don't spot the keeper encroaching then the keeper isn't gaining enough ground to matter...

Edited by SlamDuncan

I stand corrected - apparently this is down to a law change:

he penalty kick cannot be taken while the goalkeeper is touching the woodwork or nets - or if the net or posts are still moving after being touched.

The goalkeeper must have one of his feet partly on the goalline (or above it if jumping) when the kick is taken. He cannot stand behind or in front of the line.

Still stinks imo