Women's World Cup Finals - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

Just now, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Was just saying that. That was right after the save..

Yes.  She keeps it in, gets it up the pitch and we might have 1 last chance but hammering it out under no pressure ended our chances.  

They are the really basic errors which are holding us back.

I don't want to be too critical because they've done well to get to the finals but I feel a few of them will be leaving France full of regret which will be a shame for them. 

Just now, PASTA Mick said:

Yes.  She keeps it in, gets it up the pitch and we might have 1 last chance but hammering it out under no pressure ended our chances.  

I don't want to be too critical because they've done well to get to the finals but I feel a few of them will be leaving France full of regret which will be a shame for them. 

Well said. Just annoyed me the penalty. It's a stonewaller. Why could they not go to VAR? The English did???

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think the aim since arriving has been to not get a skelping off of England and Japan then squeak through as a best third place which is understandable and underwhelming.  Be interesting to see what Argentina look like tonight plus they'd have to come out v us.  Can't see there being 4 teams on 4 points in third so goal difference is key and as such -2 playing England and Japan gives us a chance.   

3 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Well said. Just annoyed me the penalty. It's a stonewaller. Why could they not go to VAR? The English did???

You can't appeal to VAR, the VAR team review automatically and then let the ref know if she's made an obvious mistake. For VAR not to signal the handball is inconsistent for the tournament so for as well as not applying the new handball rules.

The Japan pen and our other pen shout (possible foul on Cuthbert) both would also have been reviewed by VAR but with those VAR can only intervene if they feel a clear and obvious mistake has been made. So I think if the ref hadn't given the Japan pen VAR probably wouldn't have overturned, and if she had given the Cuthbert pen it also would probably not have been overturned by VAR as both those could have gone either way. some given some not.

With the handball though it's black or white, it hits the hand or it doesn't not open to opinion and should have been a pen to us with almost 10 mins to go... gutted

14 minutes ago, SlamDuncan said:

You can't appeal to VAR, the VAR team review automatically and then let the ref know if she's made an obvious mistake. For VAR not to signal the handball is inconsistent for the tournament so for as well as not applying the new handball rules.

The Japan pen and our other pen shout (possible foul on Cuthbert) both would also have been reviewed by VAR but with those VAR can only intervene if they feel a clear and obvious mistake has been made. So I think if the ref hadn't given the Japan pen VAR probably wouldn't have overturned, and if she had given the Cuthbert pen it also would probably not have been overturned by VAR as both those could have gone either way. some given some not.

With the handball though it's black or white, it hits the hand or it doesn't not open to opinion and should have been a pen to us with almost 10 mins to go... gutted

Thanks mate. Should have been used. I'm in Canada and I saw it. How the fuck did they no see it..😉

18 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

is three points really going to be enough to qualify?  surely not .

considering we've played two of the good teams, we've been competitive.

Got to wonder why we seem to defend for so long though.  We seem better on the attack!

3 points was enough for the  jammy Irish to reach the last 16 of the euros!

3 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

is three points really going to be enough to qualify?  surely not .

considering we've played two of the good teams, we've been competitive.

Got to wonder why we seem to defend for so long though.  We seem better on the attack!

Group A - Nigeria have to play France in last game and have 3 points and -1 G/D.  South Korea play Norway and are on -6 so this group might struggle to get a third place as would imagine France will be after 9 points. 

Group B - China play Spain both on 3 points but Spain 0 GD and China -1 so they could play out for a draw.  A win for either side and we're probably sniffing finishing above either 3rd place.

Group C - Three teams on 3 points with Australia likely to beat Jamaica in last game and Italy likely to beat them today.  Brazil could probably get beat and still have third as currently +2 goal difference.

Group D - See what Argentina do tonight. 

Group E - New Zealand/Cameroon are in a similar position to us so it'll come down to what they do v Canada/Holland next and their own score in the final game.    

Group F - Will come down to how many Chile concede v US against how many they score v Thailand.

Think we're in with a decent chance but need to beat Argentina by as convincing a margin as possible.  Uruguay 86 anyone?

27 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Group A - Nigeria have to play France in last game and have 3 points and -1 G/D.  South Korea play Norway and are on -6 so this group might struggle to get a third place as would imagine France will be after 9 points. 

Group B - China play Spain both on 3 points but Spain 0 GD and China -1 so they could play out for a draw.  A win for either side and we're probably sniffing finishing above either 3rd place.

Group C - Three teams on 3 points with Australia likely to beat Jamaica in last game and Italy likely to beat them today.  Brazil could probably get beat and still have third as currently +2 goal difference.

Group D - See what Argentina do tonight. 

Group E - New Zealand/Cameroon are in a similar position to us so it'll come down to what they do v Canada/Holland next and their own score in the final game.    

Group F - Will come down to how many Chile concede v US against how many they score v Thailand.

Think we're in with a decent chance but need to beat Argentina by as convincing a margin as possible.  Uruguay 86 anyone?

How many times in the good old days when we qualify did we go into the last game still mathematically possible to go through and then blow it? Certainly happened a few times down the years.  It's the hope that kills you.  Looked a stone cold penalty and its the inconsistency that is galling.

36 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Aren't we pretty much out now? Japan on 4 points and anything for England will be the nail on the coffin

The best 4 (of 6) 3rd placed teams go through. If we beat Argentina we will be 3rd (unless Argentina beat England).

Whether 3 points will be enough to be one of the top 4 is another question but we'd be in with a chance.