Women's World Cup Finals - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

England are meant to be fantastic (if you listen to the English media anyway!) so I think we have a good chance against Japan.

I think we always had to beat Japan to stand a chance of getting out the group so not much has changed. 

Best third place finishers go through as well so I would think a draw and a win against Argentina would do, even possible with a defeat against Japan

Edited by ceudmilefailte

22 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

I've watched the last  few women's games and have quite enjoyed them. 

The standard may obviously be below the men's game, but that isn't the point. 

We don't say that Laura Muir is rubbish, because she isn't as fast as Mo Farah or refuse to support Hannah Miley because she isn't David Wilkie......

Lets just get behind them for what that are...extremely proud Scots that are trying to put their country on the map on the world stage. 

That pretty much nails it

But in fact no one is even being asked to watch, enjoy or get behind them, just to maybe consider not rubbishing them 

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Best third place finishers go through as well so I would think a draw and a win against Argentina would do, even possible with a defeat against Japan

I didn’t realise we are ranked well above Argentina. I just kind of assumed the women’s teams are of a similar ranking to the men’s teams. Complete ignorance on my part. 

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

That ladies football is dreadful turgid stuff.  

So is the Men's. Only consumerist wanks, who miss the full point of football, go on about the 'product'. If you cant get excited about Scotland trying to win the world cup then Scottish football is probably not for you. 

Best you fuck off and get a season ticket for Anfield or Old Trafford and join the rest of the wannabee tourists enjoying the 'product'. 

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

So is the Men's. Only consumerist wanks, who miss the full point of football, go on about the 'product'. If you cant get excited about Scotland trying to win the world cup then Scottish football is probably not for you. 

Best you fuck off and get a season ticket for Anfield or Old Trafford and join the rest of the wannabee tourists enjoying the 'product'. 

Well said skipper!

First half we weren't really at the races. Lots of poor touches, giving them ball under no pressure at all and looked a bit ropy as well. May well have been nerves though. First tournament, lots of exposure/hype maybe all that kicking in ; but can't really complain about England going in 2-0 up.

Second half was much better. Cuthbert looks an absolute superstar, excellent play from her, although maybe occasionally one touch too many but can't blame her when she looked the only bright spark for a part of the match. The keeper was excellent and kept us in it. Little was excellent as well.

Overall, probably England deserved their win, but the girls certainly did the country proud and I'm cautiously optimistic we can do something and possibly get out of the group on the back of that second half performance.

Well done to all who were there too. Looked a lot of Scotland fans at the game.

Lee Alexander in goal made some pretty excellent tops. I find the few games of women's football to be pretty entertaining and unpredictable.  This was my first time watching a women's team game live and I enjoyed it.  And my daughter even grabbed one of my tops to watch the game so if it inspires the next generation and the women's game grow's even more I am all for it. Bring on Japan. 

Personally i am not criticizing the quality, it was more an observation of fact. Same is true in Tennis for example. Top 1000 men would beat the No 1 woman no bother or something like that. Probably more... 

So if the 'Lionesses' (boak) played an all male team starting at the top level and working down - at what level of (male) football would they able to beat the opposition?  

29 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Personally i am not criticizing the quality, it was more an observation of fact. Same is true in Tennis for example. Top 1000 men would beat the No 1 woman no bother or something like that. Probably more... 

So if the 'Lionesses' (boak) played an all male team starting at the top level and working down - at what level of (male) football would they able to beat the opposition?  

Junior football if that

Japan’s (8th ranked) going be tricky – players still in the squad from winning in 2011 and final in 2015 plus they won the most recent u21 World Cup so are probably dark horses for the cup.  USA bullied them the last world cup final which is probably their Achilles heal but not really a route open to us.  Their recent record is pretty much beating everyone ranked lower than them and losing against those above them.    

If we nick something great but main thing is not getting humped as that could scupper our 3rd place.  Finishing second would give us Canada (5) anyway compared to Germany (2) or France (3) so it’s a bastard of a draw really given we could potentially play two of the top four sides in the world plus a top 8 side without getting to the quarters.  Compare that to England (Pot 2 side) in the men’s in comparison who played Belgium in a bounce game (5th), Columbia (13th), Croatia (18th), Sweden (25th), Tunisia (28) and Panama (49).    

Argentina are an unknown who only fairly recently secured funding to even play so their world ranking (30+) could be a bit false.  Be interesting to see what they look like tonight and probably good that we didn’t get them first as they could be a bit of a Costa Rica in that they haven’t played many games to scout.  Playing them last at least gives us 2 games to see what they’re about.   

It’s got a feeling of 86 about it with West Germany favourites, Denmark dark horses and then a last game against an unfancied South American side to nick third – hopefully it doesn’t turn out the same!!! 

I think getting out of the group should be the objective so as to increase interest and with the Euros in England next time it would hopefully give them momentum to qualify for that.  With it so close and Scotland men unlikely to qualify for the Euros they could get a decent turnout for that. 

I wondered if they could beat a decent University / College team and decided no, and then I wondered if they would beat the best School team. I'd love to see that game just to gauge it.

Either way what annoys me is why do they have to be on MotD/Sportscene/whatever as pundits when this is the level they have played. Why not invite male players from lowly amateur sides on TV as pundits then? Because it is ridiculous that is why and annoying but done for 'diversity' of course. But then we see fuck all diversity when it comes to the all woman team for the women's world cup. Total double standard dogma and bullshit.The BBC are the fucking worst for it by far, loathsome organization on so many levels. 

Edited by thplinth

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It’s got a feeling of 86 about it with West Germany favourites, Denmark dark horses and then a last game against an unfancied South American side to nick third – hopefully it doesn’t turn out the same!!! 

That comparison had struck me too. 

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I didn’t realise we are ranked well above Argentina. I just kind of assumed the women’s teams are of a similar ranking to the men’s teams. Complete ignorance on my part. 

Yeah, the top women's international teams tend to align more with progressive, economically stronger countries than in the male game. 

11 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I wondered if they could beat a decent University / College team and decided no, and then I wondered if they would beat the best School team. I'd love to see that game just to gauge it.

Either way what annoys me is why do they have to be on MotD/Sportscene/whatever as pundits when this is the level they have played. Why not invite male players from lowly amateur sides on TV as pundits then? Because it is ridiculous that is why and annoying but done for 'diversity' of course. But then we see fuck all diversity when it comes to the all woman team for the women's world cup. Total double standard dogma and bullshit.The BBC are the fucking worst for it by far, loathsome organization on so many levels. 

I know where you're coming from re the panel and i joked about it yesterday but the commentators were male. 

22 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Jesus. Prolly cause males from lower amateur sides haven't had a lifetime of being underrepresented, underpaid, and underapreciated. I dunno? 

What is it about a professional woman footballer that makes you think she doesn't have the ability to critique a football match? That she didn't play at the top level in the male game?! By that logic there are a bunch of male Scottish pundits we shouldn't see on the BBC too! 

My interpretation of females pundits is that it’s been shoehorned in to meet perceived diversity requirements. Whatever, it’s fine but fans ain’t daft. Ideally pundits should have some connection to the competition they are talking about. 

The only one that annoys me, for lack of a better term is the Chelsea manager of the women’s team, it’s a bit weird that a current manager is doing punditry. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

The US side lost to a Dallas u15 side before a friendly with Russia.  There’s an article online where the author seems to suggest it was a bounce game where the team did it as a favour and were not taking it seriously as the Russia game was the day after.  However the result got tweeted and folk weighed in with how pish women’s football must be and from the article below it feels that the author maybe protests too much although it is unclear if it was actually 11v11. 

https://www.90min.com/posts/4833646-some-people-think-it-s-funny-that-the-usa-women-s-national-team-were-apparently-beaten-by-u15-boys

It’s evident anyway in the women’s game itself how much size matters - the France game where that 6 feet 1 centre half up against 5ft 4 South Korean’s as example.  All France had to do was stick it on her napper all night and they’d score.  Japan got absolutely battered by USA in the final too in 2015. 

On the other hand the women’s 100m record is 10.49 seconds.  At our school our male PE teacher was unbeaten at the 100m in 10 years but in our final year one of the 16 year old lads ran him close both between 10.4 - 10.5 from memory.  If a Scottish lass won the 100m Olympic Gold my first response wouldn’t be that she’d be lucky to get bronze at Clough Hall sports day 1996. 

40 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Jesus. Prolly cause males from lower amateur sides haven't had a lifetime of being underrepresented, underpaid, and underapreciated. I dunno? 

What is it about a professional woman footballer that makes you think she doesn't have the ability to critique a football match? That she didn't play at the top level in the male game?! By that logic there are a bunch of male Scottish pundits we shouldn't see on the BBC too! 

Thplinth has a valid point about a lack of diversity.

There should be a token male pundit i suppose. But really, who gives a fuck? Are we that insecure we need to start demanding quotas? Thplinth, isn't that the kind of shite you normally rail against?

Anyway, i'm all for seeing more of Hope Solo. Much more. In fact i'm googling for her nudes right now.

6 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Thplinth has a valid point about a lack of diversity.

There should be a token male pundit i suppose. But really, who gives a fuck? Are we that insecure we need to start demanding quotas? Thplinth, isn't that the kind of shite you normally rail against?

Anyway, i'm all for seeing more of Hope Solo. Much more. In fact i'm googling for her nudes right now.

Haha she did indeed dominant the punditry. 

Yeah, I understand the argument about diversity going both ways. But people have to realise how ridiculous and backwards they sound when they are a man complaining about there not being enough male representation in sport and on television.