Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass

6XAMRU0173.jpg

This is the Standard Edition of Geddy Lee’s Big Beautiful Book of Bass. This 408-page hardcover book showcases the bulk of Geddy’s personal collection of bass guitars.

"Its not surprising that sooner or later I’d dive down the proverbial rabbit hole into the world of vintage bass guitars."—Geddy Lee

From Rush frontman Geddy Lee's personal collection of vintage electric bass guitars, dating from the 1950s to the 1980s, comes the definitive volume on the subject.

Geddy’s love of the bass has been nurtured over a lifetime spent in the limelight as one of the world’s premier rock bassists. For the past seven years, he’s dedicated himself to studying the history of the instrument that’s been so essential to his career, collecting hundreds of basses from around the globe, 250 of which are presented here in breathtaking detail with specially commissioned photography by Richard Sibbald.

Representing every tone in the bass palette, every nuance of the rock and roll genre as well as blues, jazz, pop, and country, this one-of-a-kind collection features so-called "beauty queens"—pristine instruments never lifted from their cases—as well as "road warriors"—well-worn, sweat-soaked basses that proudly show their age and use. Complete with personal commentary from Geddy that showcases his knowledge both as a musician and an aficionado, this luxuriously produced volume is a revelatory look at the heavy hitters in the world of bass—Fender, Gibson/Epiphone, Rickenbacker, Höfner, Ampeg—and lesser known but influential global luthiers such as Antonio Wandr Pioli, Dan Armstrong, and Tony Zemaitis.

The book also features interviews with John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin); Adam Clayton (U2); Robert Trujillo (Metallica); Jeff Tweedy (Wilco); Bill Wyman (The Rolling Stones); Les Claypool (Primus); Bob Daisley (Rainbow); Fender expert and owner of the legendary Gibson Explorer, Bass Ken Collins; veteran guitar tech for The Who, Alan Rogan; plus comments from many other great players across three decades of rock and roll.

Written in Geddy's singular voice, this book reveals the stories, songs, and history behind the instruments of his inimitable collection. Complete with an index and a graphically designed timeline of the history of the bass, as well as an up-close look at Geddy’s basses on Rush's final R40 Tour, his stage and recording gear from 1968 to 2017, and forewords by author and respected vintage expert, Terry Foster, and Rush band member, Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee's Big Book of Beautiful Bass is the ultimate compendium for the consummate collector, musician, Rush fan, and anyone who loves the bass guitar.

Looks a lovely book. Not sure I've a big enough coffee table though.

He's doing a signing session in Waterstones in Sauchiehall St next Wednesday. Would love to meet the great man but unfortunately I'll be in France for the WWC.

I saw Rush in London in the early 80s & I'd still put it in my top 2 or 3 gigs of all time; only Springsteen runs them close. It must be nice though to have a collection of anything that will fill a 408-page book.

Any interest in the Big, Beautiful Book of Huddersfield Town programmes?

We are excited to be a part of this exclusive event.  Please note the following guidelines for the event:

·         Conversation with Geddy Lee will be moderated by Alan Cross.

·         Lobby doors open at 6:15pm.

·         Each ticket includes one (1) copy of Geddy Lee’s, Big Beautiful Book of Bass. 

·         The book will be distributed at the end of the interview, just before you lineup to have it personalized.

·         Please remain in your seats at the end of the presentation to get your book personalized. The theatre will be exited row by row started at the back, Row S.

·         Only the, Big Beautiful Book of Bass will be autographed.    Other memorabilia is not permitted at this event and will not be signed.  Additional books can be purchased and up to four (4) will be signed.

·         No posed photography – Geddy is happy for fans to shake a hand/bump a fist and have people take candid photographs from the line, but not while he is signing their book.

·         Candid non-flash photos from your seat and while in the signing line are allowed.

·         No video permitted.

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I saw Rush in London in the early 80s & I'd still put it in my top 2 or 3 gigs of all time; only Springsteen runs them close. It must be nice though to have a collection of anything that will fill a 408-page book.

Any interest in the Big, Beautiful Book of Huddersfield Town programmes?

Geddy is 'compulsive' to the point of being a 'completist'. 

He also collects baseball memorabilia and vintage wine. 

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Too bad you couldn't get a photo with him Scotty. I guess there were a lot of fans to whisk through.

There were about 490 people at the sold out event.

My buddy snapped some pictures from the line.

I'll share this one...

10wsaop.jpg

7 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Why would you make a comment like that? You have just proved to the TAMB what you really are, an arsehole.

Just a troll looking for reaction - not you obv - he'll be banned before long.