Snodgrass still involved with Scotland?.. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snodgrass still involved with Scotland?..

Guest ElChris04

19 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Nonsense? 

We obviously have different opinions. That doesn’t make mine nonsense.

I have already stated it’s up to him when he gets married. It does indicate he’s not all that bothered about playing for Scotland though. As does his numerous call offs over the last couple of years. 

If he was fully committed to Scotland he would likely have arranged his wedding for another time. It’s up to him what he does though. 

He's certainly not fully committed

6 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

We can fully agree that it's hardly crime of the century.

Which is exactly why it's a non-issue in the first place.

If it's a non issue that someone who could have been in the squad and isn't

Then what is an issue

1 minute ago, Bino's said:

If it's a non issue that someone who could have been in the squad and isn't

Then what is an issue

1) He's getting married - big day for him, his family and his partner's family too.

2) He's been open about spending time with his mother who is/was ill (hope she's still alive). That may have had an influence on the choice of date for the wedding.

3) There are sometimes in life when family and personal stuff takes precedence over work - whatever your line of employment may be.

4) I repeat - who is anyone on this forum to dictate when a player should get married?

In an ideal world, he'd be available for selection and playing. I'll trust Steve Clarke on this one.

Either way, I wish Robert Snodgrass and his wife-to-be a long and happy marriage.

Hopefully we can agree on that at least.

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Well I don’t know for sure but I don’t ever remember Snodgrass being the difference in any of the games he’s played. 

Both are replaceable was the point I was making. 

seriously...  he was our top scorer a few years back....IIRC

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

1) He's getting married - big day for him, his family and his partner's family too.

2) He's been open about spending time with his mother who is/was ill (hope she's still alive). That may have had an influence on the choice of date for the wedding.

3) There are sometimes in life when family and personal stuff takes precedence over work - whatever your line of employment may be.

4) I repeat - who is anyone on this forum to dictate when a player should get married?

In an ideal world, he'd be available for selection and playing. I'll trust Steve Clarke on this one.

Either way, I wish Robert Snodgrass and his wife-to-be a long and happy marriage.

Hopefully we can agree on that at least.

What a brilliant and evocative post. Agree completely good luck to the Snodgrasses.

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Firstly, that’s hardly the same thing. 

Secondly, I am not trying to tell anyone when to do anything. 

All I have suggested is players who are committed to playing for their country would probably arrange their wedding for a date when they knew there would be no games. 

In fairness to Snodgrass he might not even have given it a second thought and just assumed we wouldn’t be playing or something. I’m sure plenty of other players would have realised that we would likely be playing a competitive match and arranged their weddings accordingly. As I mentioned already, everyone is different and it’s hardly crime of the century.

I can almost guarantee that there will be no England players missing their match against the Netherlands because they’re getting married though. 

Think you’re living in the past TP.

Players who are genuinely “committed” to playing for their country are in very very short supply.

Almost non existent.. 

45 minutes ago, Marky said:

Players who are genuinely “committed” to playing for their country are in very very short supply.

Almost non existent.. 

He’s not awfully popular with the Scotland support but Barry Bannan loves going away with Scotland. Shame he appears to be the exception to the rule.

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

What a brilliant and evocative post. Agree completely good luck to the Snodgrasses.

He's been dodging us and continues to do so

I doubt we'll ever see him pull on the jersey again

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Almost non existent.. 

Northern Ireland?

Don't see many/any of them dodging squads

We're leading the way in that field

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

Northern Ireland?

Don't see many/any of them dodging squads

We're leading the way in that field

Sorry. To be clear, by “their country” I meant Scotland. 

Although I’m sure it applies to many other countries too. 

Anyway, that’s why I said almost non existent rather than non existent. 

ETA the point I’m making is that Robert Snodgrass certainly shouldn’t be singled out for vilification on this topic. I could literally name at least 20 players I’d have further up the hit list than him

Edited by Marky

2 hours ago, Marky said:

Almost non existent.. 

Off the top of my head, Charlie Mulgrew? Stuart Armstrong? Shaun Maloney? Johnny Russell? James Forrest? Craig Gordon? I don’t remember any of these guys pulling out of squads unless they were also missing club matches.

Russell flies from the states for every squad and more often than not sits on the bench. That’s pretty committed. 

Like I’ve said a few times, everyone is different and people will have different levels of commitment. If people have other things going on in their lives that they prioritise over their international career that’s their choice. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Off the top of my head, Charlie Mulgrew? Stuart Armstrong? Shaun Maloney? Johnny Russell? James Forrest? Craig Gordon? I don’t remember any of these guys pulling out of squads unless they were also missing club matches.

Russell flies from the states for every squad and more often than not sits on the bench. That’s pretty committed. 

Like I’ve said a few times, everyone is different and people will have different levels of commitment. If people have other things going on in their lives that they prioritise over their international career that’s their choice. 

I just don't see this happening for other countries

Lafferty tried it, got 5 day ruled

Everyone then knows where they stand

Can't think of another country that has the same pull outs as we have for some time now

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

I just don't see this happening for other countries

Lafferty tried it, got 5 day ruled

Everyone then knows where they stand

Can't think of another country that has the same pull outs as we have for some time now

I’m sure there are some other countries that have issues. Just not successful ones. 

We can’t be the only one surely?

A good spirit around the squad created by having someone in charge who commands respect and gets results will soon turn things around in terms of the call offs.

It's not hard to understand how, even of you're committed to your country, you can find it tough to motivate yourself during a bad run. It happens with us members of the TA, so of course it can happen with the players too. 

I think Snoddy will be back in September. 

12 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

A good spirit around the squad created by having someone in charge who commands respect and gets results will soon turn things around in terms of the call offs.

It's not hard to understand how, even of you're committed to your country, you can find it tough to motivate yourself during a bad run. It happens with us members of the TA, so of course it can happen with the players too. 

I think Snoddy will be back in September. 

Good times are created in part by players turning up and putting a shift in even when the manager is struggling 

There was certainly an issue regarding his family and being called up then not used.  Going by the (alleged) details, he was treated pretty shabbily by the last trio of baw sacks which led to his hiatus from recent squads.

I'd be surprised if he has forgiven the SFA for that episode, though I would be happy enough if Steve Clarke talks him back round.

37 minutes ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

There was certainly an issue regarding his family and being called up then not used.  Going by the (alleged) details, he was treated pretty shabbily by the last trio of baw sacks which led to his hiatus from recent squads.

I'd be surprised if he has forgiven the SFA for that episode, though I would be happy enough if Steve Clarke talks him back round.

I don’t claim to know anything about Snoddy’s circumstances but in general terms, if three managers have a problem with a player, at what point do we consider that it might actually be him that’s the issue?

Taking on board and respecting all points of view expressed, absolute bottom line is this...

No player who is desperate to play for Scotland and knows he has slightest chance of doing so would arrange a weeding in early June.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to see the best 22 players Scotland have available in future squads....I want to see the best 22 players who are desperate to play for Scotland in future squads....The is, unfortunately, a big difference, and imho there is quite a few players not doing themselves any favours right now