Starting XI vs Cyprus - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting XI vs Cyprus

csinclair

10 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

So there's a phenomenon referred to as 'the wisdom of the crowd' whereby if you ask many people to give an answer to a relatively simple question and then take the consensus of the answers, it is often the right answer*. So, because I'm a complete Scotland nerd who is trying to waste some time until the next matches, I thought I'd test this theory on the starting teams that have been posted here. Below are the total votes each player in the squad has gotten from the 19 people who have posted a starting lineup so far:

Andrew Robertson (captain) 19
James Forrest 19
Stephen O'Donnell 18
Ryan Fraser 18
Scott McKenna 16
John McGinn 15
Scott McTominay 15
John Souttar 12
Callum McGregor 11
Scott Bain 8
Stuart Armstrong 8
Eamonn Brophy 8
David Marshall 7
Charlie Mulgrew 7
Tom Cairney 6
Oliver Burke 6
Stuart Findlay 3
Johnny Russell 3
Liam Kelly 2
Marc McNulty 2
Jon McLaughlin 1
Liam Palmer 1
Michael Devlin 0
Greg Taylor 0
Kenny McLean 0
Graeme Shinnie 0
Lewis Morgan 0

Based on these numbers, the TAMB as a collective thinks the starting lineup against Cyprus should be as follows:

Bain

O'Donnell Souttar McKenna Robertson

Forrest McGregor McTominay McGinn Fraser

Brophy

With Armstrong, Mulgrew, and Cairney/Burke on as subs.

I'm interested to see how close this is to the starting lineup next Saturday. Don't expect it to be far off to be honest. No love for Devlin, Taylor, McLean, Shinnie, or Morgan on here haha. 

* for some reason it never seems to work in referenda... 

Cheers for the post.

I think Kenny McLean is the unlucky no votes player, due to us having better players than him in his position(our strongest} but I would say he is our next best option in a defensive midfield three.

I think all the ballot papers not including McTominay should be discarded as spoilt and a recount demanded 

11 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

So there's a phenomenon referred to as 'the wisdom of the crowd' whereby if you ask many people to give an answer to a relatively simple question and then take the consensus of the answers, it is often the right answer*. So, because I'm a complete Scotland nerd who is trying to waste some time until the next matches, I thought I'd test this theory on the starting teams that have been posted here. Below are the total votes each player in the squad has gotten from the 19 people who have posted a starting lineup so far:

Andrew Robertson (captain) 19
James Forrest 19
Stephen O'Donnell 18
Ryan Fraser 18
Scott McKenna 16
John McGinn 15
Scott McTominay 15
John Souttar 12
Callum McGregor 11
Scott Bain 8
Stuart Armstrong 8
Eamonn Brophy 8
David Marshall 7
Charlie Mulgrew 7
Tom Cairney 6
Oliver Burke 6
Stuart Findlay 3
Johnny Russell 3
Liam Kelly 2
Marc McNulty 2
Jon McLaughlin 1
Liam Palmer 1
Michael Devlin 0
Greg Taylor 0
Kenny McLean 0
Graeme Shinnie 0
Lewis Morgan 0

Who didn't include Fraser? :lol:

21 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Burke has been rank rotten when he’s managed to get off the bench for Celtic recently.

I would go with Russell (assuming he gets through tonight’s match against LA unscathed) as he must be full of confidence after his hat-trick at the weekend and hopefully he’ll grab a goal or two tonight. 

If Clarke doesn’t fancy trying Russell through the middle then I’d prefer Brophy to Burke. At least he’s been playing. 

lennon hasn't got best out of burke,

would be happy with either

Marshall

O'Donnell - Souttar-McKenna-Robertson

McTominay-McGinn-McGregor

Forrest                                               Fraser

Russell

Marshall

McGinn McGregor

Forrest         Armstrong           Fraser

Burke

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

lennon hasn't got best out of burke,

would be happy with either

Marshall

O'Donnell - Souttar-McKenna-Robertson

McTominay-McGinn-McGregor

Forrest                                               Fraser

Russell

Marshall

McGinn McGregor

Forrest         Armstrong           Fraser

Burke

Very true but then what manager has?

He looked ok for a couple of games under Rodgers but hardly anything to write home about. 

He has a first touch like a drunk dinosaur and turns about as quickly as an oil tanker (a bit harsh possibly but he’s frustrating to watch).

I would love it if Burke would realise his potential but it appears as if he is either nowhere near as talented as we’d all hoped or he just doesn’t apply himself. 

If he starts against Cyprus, plays well and bags a couple of goals then I’ll be as happy as everyone else but I just can’t see it happening. 

Your two line ups and formations look pretty good though and if we have no pull outs before the game then I’d expect something very similar.

As I’ve mentioned already though I have a feeling Clarke will go for Mulgrew at Centre Half with Souttar (based on his showing in the cup final) especially against Belgium where the inexperience of McKenna and Souttar could expose us to an absolute doing.

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Very true but then what manager has?

He looked ok for a couple of games under Rodgers but hardly anything to write home about. 

He has a first touch like a drunk dinosaur and turns about as quickly as an oil tanker (a bit harsh possibly but he’s frustrating to watch).

I would love it if Burke would realise his potential but it appears as if he is either nowhere near as talented as we’d all hoped or he just doesn’t apply himself. 

If he starts against Cyprus, plays well and bags a couple of goals then I’ll be as happy as everyone else but I just can’t see it happening. 

While Burke does appear to have a naturally brooding demeanor, which usually translates into that he just can not be bothered, the problem is I suspect him and his managers/coaches have very different idea's about where he is best suited.

Burke see's himself as being like Rooney, where he is the main man up front, but with his pace his managers think he is best suited playing behind the main striker (few Celtic games I watched him play, they seemed to stick him here, and while his pace can be great at times, his first touch and reading of the game does not make him a good option for here). 

I think Russell will start v Cyprus, but would certainly not be surprised if Burke starts.

------------------------------Bain----------------------------

O'Donnell-----Souttar----McKenna-----Robertson

McTominay-----------McGregor

------Forrest---------------McGinn------------Fraser------

Russell

I'd have Mulgrew in normally but he's been injured recently.

Bain worries me.  GK is quite weak now.

Armstrong could replace McTominay.

My team: Marshall; SOD (Tierney if Celtic had got him the operation he badly needed in March), McKenna, Mulgrew (reluctantly), Robertson; McTominay, McGinn; Forrest, Armstrong, Fraser; Russell.

Striker is a real worry of an area ahead of these games. Bain is bang average so going with Marshall for some experience. I cannot profess to being a Mulgrew fan at all, but again putting in some much needed experience alongside McKenna. SOD at right back due to being best of an average bunch there.

Feel bad leaving McGregor out of midfield, but Armstrong has generally been involved in a lot of key positive moments in the last two years and makes Scotland tick in a way McGregor doesn't quite. McGregor could slot in for McGinn and I wouldn't be too upset.

Lack of options at centre forward, I’d play a rotational front three of Fraser, Forrest and Russell. 

Marshall

O’Donnell Souttar McKenna Robertson

Armstrong McGinn McGregor

Russell Forrest Fraser 

Your spot on we are conservative, not much pressure on then in their own half, too slow with our crossing but Fraser getting in plenty. We need to be quicker on our transitional playground break down their 5 man defence.

Loving Craig Beattie disagreeing with almost all of Peter Houston's "wisdom". :lol:

Houston: "We should be lumping the crosses in"

Beattie: "Naw we shouldnae"

Houston: "He should be taking a shot from there"

Beattie: "Naw he shouldnae"

Houston: "We should pass it back to the defender"

Beattie: "Naw we shouldnae"

Edited by ErsatzThistle

5 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Took us a while to get going but OK I guess. Would say tactics biggest problem - sitting too deep and tactically too conservative. Put themselves under pressure now for second half. 

Look like got a much better shape than previously. More compact and players seem like they know there role. 

Guess the reason not to press them high is to draw them out to hit them with pace which is where our attack has a strength. We are so short in aattack. We have put so many crosses in but go no where near them.

We look decent and i can still see us winning this 1 or 2 nil. Robertson has looked alot better for us than in previous games aswell.