Starting XI vs Cyprus - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting XI vs Cyprus

csinclair

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not sure, I think he'll start him as one of his CH's though.

Findlay has pace to burn, which a couple of the CH's don't.

Haven’t seen much of him to be honest but Clarke obviously knows his game inside out. 

I would have thought he’d have gone for Souttar and McKenna or one of those two with Mulgrew but I’ll be interested to see what Findlay can do if he starts. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

If Bonny is involved then surely Paul Dickov will have a part to play somewhere?

Dickov will lead the pipe band in a parachute attack from the zeppelin.

"The Dog" will be captain of the submarine carrying the sumos.

Bonny and I have this all worked out.

4 hours ago, bigfingers said:

My team...

............................Bain

O'Donnell-Souttar-McKenna-Robertson

.............Mcginn-McTorminay

........Forest - McGregor - Fraser

...................Russell

I would be happy with this team. Maybe swap Armstrong in with someone but overall it is pretty much what will get picked imo.

Guest ElChris04

-Bain-

-O'Donell-Findlay-Soutter-Robertson- 

-McGregor-McGinn-Armstrong-

-Forrest-Brophy-Fraser-

Only one I’m 50/50 on is Cairney/McTominay for Armstrong, but Everything else is set in stone for me. 

Forrest,McGregor,Fraser,Robertson are mainstays, find it mind boggling why CalMac isn’t in some of the teams in the thread. Won Celtic’s POTY, and been outstanding this season.

Brophy deserves his first cap and to lead the line. Ended of his season perfectly and has strength and composure we have been missing. 

Edited by ElChris04

3 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

-Bain-

-O'Donell-Findlay-Soutter-Robertson- 

-McGregor-McGinn-Armstrong-

-Forrest-Brophy-Fraser-

Only one I’m 50/50 on is Cairney for Armstrong, but Everything else is set in stone for me. 

Forrest,McGregor,Fraser,Robertson are mainstays, find it mind boggling why CalMac isn’t in some of the teams in the thread. Won Celtic’s POTY, and been outstanding this season.

Brophy deserves his first cap and to lead the line. Ended of his season perfectly and has strength and composure we have been missing. 

No McTominay?

Guest ElChris04
1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

No McTominay?

Fuck forgot about him aha, either Him then Cairney or Armstrong. Could argue we don’t have a solid defensive central player in the midfield  that leaves us exposed so aye again 50/50 with swapping Armstrong out for McTominay or Cairney. 

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Mulgrew has been on the bench for Blackburns last five games, pretty major step up.

Fair point but he’s the only experienced centre half in the squad. 

I would be surprised if Clarke selected him for the sole purpose of being around the squad to help the young players. He may be concerned that Belgium will destroy an inexperienced central defence and wants a seasoned defender in there. 

I could be completely wrong. It has been known. 

6 hours ago, csinclair said:

Going off of Clarke's squad I'd go with

Marshall
O'Donnell   Souttar     Findlay  Robertson 

McGinn    McTominay

Forrest             Cairney            Fraser

Brophy

Would have liked to have picked someone else up top but Burke looks a shadow of a player and McNulty is a lump of wood.

From the squad picked that is the only possible option.

Fraser, Robertson, Forrest, McTominay and McGinn should be the central core of players we build the team around for the foreseeable future. (Add in a fit Griffiths and Tierney as well)

The rest is difficult to choose between. I'd probably go with Marshall and Mulgrew for MUCH needed experience. But that would be very temporary.

I'm surprised anyone has excluded McGinn from their team

I don’t think there’s any way we can’t play mcgregor. Armstrong hasn’t started many games for Southampton recently so that’s my reason for dropping him. 

We certainly have good central midfield options and 2 top quality wide men but all our striking options have dropped off the face of the earth. 

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Clarke confirmed in his press conference that he prefers 4 at the back so no need to rip your ticket up. 

I've no got one yet anyway haha, but I shall be there.

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Fraser, Robertson, Forrest, McTominay and McGinn should be the central core of players we build the team around for the foreseeable future. (Add in a fit Griffiths and Tierney as well)

The rest is difficult to choose between. I'd probably go with Marshall and Mulgrew for MUCH needed experience. But that would be very temporary.

I'm surprised anyone has excluded McGinn from their team

Perhaps because of some wildly erratic passing displayed and some very reckless tackling that he's shown in a few games for Scotland  ?

Would anyone play Forrest in the centre of a front 3? He’s done a job there for Celtic before and allows Russell to play in his best position.

Unconvinced about Brophy, McNulty and Burke as our starting centre forward. 

Would have liked the look of this squad if Fletcher and McBurnie were available. 

I’d go with;

Bain, O’Donnell, Souttar, McKenna, Robertson; McTominay, McGregor, McGinn; Russell, Forrest, Fraser. 

McGinn should play further up the park like he does for Villa. He likes making tackles and getting stuck in but he’s definitely not a defensive midfielder. Having said that I like Armstrong and Cairney too so don’t mind too much who starts here. 

The attacking 3 could alternate. Don’t think it’s a long term solution but should be okay against Cyprus. We might need more of a focal point against Belgium but we could see how this goes. 

Guest ElChris04
7 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Would anyone play Forrest in the centre of a front 3? He’s done a job there for Celtic before and allows Russell to play in his best position.

Unconvinced about Brophy, McNulty and Burke as our starting centre forward. 

Would have liked the look of this squad if Fletcher and McBurnie were available. 

I’d go with;

Bain, O’Donnell, Souttar, McKenna, Robertson; McTominay, McGregor, McGinn; Russell, Forrest, Fraser. 

McGinn should play further up the park like he does for Villa. He likes making tackles and getting stuck in but he’s definitely not a defensive midfielder. Having said that I like Armstrong and Cairney too so don’t mind too much who starts here. 

The attacking 3 could alternate. Don’t think it’s a long term solution but should be okay against Cyprus. We might need more of a focal point against Belgium but we could see how this goes. 

Forrest is not a striker or CF and it literally kills what’s great about him on the wing. He’s our most gifted Right winger and won a treble of awards for a reason this season. We need his pace,skill and everything else he does brilliantly on the wing. Putting him in the centre would be mental imo. 

13 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Forrest is not a striker or CF and it literally kills what’s great about him on the wing. He’s our most gifted Right winger and won a treble of awards for a reason this season. We need his pace,skill and everything else he does brilliantly on the wing. Putting him in the centre would be mental imo. 

Yeah not convinced myself but Brophy, McNulty or Burke...

Dont think Brophy is your typical poacher forward but his non penalty goal record is not good. For me McNulty hasn’t impressed since he’s been in Scotland and ditto for Burke. 

————Marshall———

O’Donnell—Souttar—McKenna—Robertson

———McGregor—-McGinn———/

Forrest——-Armstrong——-Fraser—

—————Brophy—————-

As a side note I could see Russell on the right hand side and Forrest as a central striker against Belgium.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

12 hours ago, bigfingers said:

I don’t think there’s any way we can’t play mcgregor. Armstrong hasn’t started many games for Southampton recently so that’s my reason for dropping him. 

We certainly have good central midfield options and 2 top quality wide men but all our striking options have dropped off the face of the earth. 

McGregor is dead on his feet, Armstrong still fresh. 

There is a interview with Jose Mourinho going around where he is backing Clarke, but also saying he hope he builds his team around his "boy" McTominay.

That coupled with him signaling out Tom Cairney a lot in the press since naming his squad, chance that could be part of his plans for his midfield?

10 hours ago, jamboman said:

Keeper - Marshall

back 4 - SOD, Souttar, McKenna, Robertson

Mid 2 - McTominey, McGregor

Mid 3 - Forrest Cairney Fraser

Up top - Burke (only because i think he could get a goal and it will bring him on)

Cairney ahead of McGinn, really?

Burke is a waste of a jersey too.