Clake's first sqaud - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clake's first sqaud

jamboman

Just now, Texas Pete said:

It’s the catastrophic mistakes that get remembered and he’s prone to a few. Those stats look pretty good though.

I won’t have a problem if he’s selected but I’m not sure if he’s the answer to our defensive problems.  We are not exactly bursting at the seams with quality central defenders though so let’s see what he can do. 

As I suggested, it is the fact that he is so heavily involved in games that makes it inevitable mistakes will be made. Leeds wouldn't have been anywhere near the play offs with out him anyway.

Your right we don't have quality central defenders , but some people on here watch 10 minutes of highlights on the TV and make their judgements on that.

Just now, vanderark14 said:

I sincerely hope Clarke doesn't give anyone a holiday. It's the biggest mistake he could make 

I would imagine the squad will meet up a week on Monday so whatever the players do between now and then is up to them (except Robertson and McGinn obviously).

You’d hope they’d be professional enough not to over indulge in booze etc. but I wouldn’t put anything past a professional footballer. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

As I suggested, it is the fact that he is so heavily involved in games that makes it inevitable mistakes will be made. Leeds wouldn't have been anywhere near the play offs with out him anyway.

Your right we don't have quality central defenders , but some people on here watch 10 minutes of highlights on the TV and make their judgements on that.

I understand why some people are a bit nervous about Cooper but I don’t think he’s any worse than what we’ve had in central defence recently. Our whole defence makes me nervous.

I’d rather Cooper was selected than going back to the likes of Berra. 

Just released the latest episode of the Hampden Roar podcast in which we debate who will be called up to Clarke's first squad.

Audioboom - https://audioboom.com/posts/7271230-steve-clarke-announced-and-squad-debate

iTunes - https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/19-steve-clarke-announced-and-squad-debate/id1432582074?i=1000439296943

Spotify - 

One thing Strachan had the right idea about was calling up one or two young players who are perhaps not yet ready to play for the senior team but at least to let them train and get to know the other players. 

Clarke should do this.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

One thing Strachan had the right idea about was calling up one or two young players who are perhaps not yet ready to play for the senior team but at least to let them train and get to know the other players. 

Clarke should do this.

Agree 100% 

Starting to worry for Clarke all ready though as the senior players are very very weak bar Robertson,Fraser, and hopefully Mctominay,

Any one know whats happened to Ewan Henderson?

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Agree 100% 

Starting to worry for Clarke all ready though as the senior players are very very weak bar Robertson,Fraser, and hopefully Mctominay,

Any one know whats happened to Ewan Henderson?

Callum McGregor and James Forrest are very weak?

We still have Kieran Tierney to come back, John McGinn is a decent player who will only get better, particularly if Villa get promoted and we have guys like Armstrong, Fletcher and Russell who are playing at a decent level.

We have the nucleus of a decent team but we need to get a settled central defence and someone who can score goals for us regularly. If Clarke can do that then we’ll do OK under him. 

None of the guys I’ve mentioned above are world beaters but none of them are ‘very weak’. 

6 hours ago, hampdenroarpod said:

Just released the latest episode of the Hampden Roar podcast in which we debate who will be called up to Clarke's first squad.

Audioboom - https://audioboom.com/posts/7271230-steve-clarke-announced-and-squad-debate

iTunes - https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/19-steve-clarke-announced-and-squad-debate/id1432582074?i=1000439296943

Spotify - 

I'm listening right now actually. 

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Callum McGregor and James Forrest are very weak?

We still have Kieran Tierney to come back, John McGinn is a decent player who will only get better, particularly if Villa get promoted and we have guys like Armstrong, Fletcher and Russell who are playing at a decent level.

We have the nucleus of a decent team but we need to get a settled central defence and someone who can score goals for us regularly. If Clarke can do that then we’ll do OK under him. 

None of the guys I’ve mentioned above are world beaters but none of them are ‘very weak’. 

Really don't think the MLS is a decent level, the fact that a very average championship player like Russell can go over there and look like a top player suggests the same.

Sorry but Armstrong has flopped suggesting the rest of the Celtic players would struggle too.

You can only really compare like to like and I saw nothing in the champions league or Europa league to suggest that Celtic or Rangers players are international class. By default all of the great young SPL hopes being mentioned on here cant and probably wont be good enough either.

We've got three or four very good championship players, Fletcher, over 30, Cooper late 20's who might not even want it and McBurnie and McGinn.

The last two at least have age on their side to prove me wrong

Which brings us back to only the three  that I mentioned

I suppose I am being a bit unfair in trying to find players to give Belgium and the likes a game, but our only hope is that Clarke can get all the players operating in a way that maximises their potential.

Not all international managers can do this so it is all up to him but I cant see how when 2 of our best players cant complement each other, in fact make it three if you bring Tierney in "I left him out as I don't see him being top class any were but left back."  Clarke has big problems

53 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Really don't think the MLS is a decent level, the fact that a very average championship player like Russell can go over there and look like a top player suggests the same.

Sorry but Armstrong has flopped suggesting the rest of the Celtic players would struggle too.

You can only really compare like to like and I saw nothing in the champions league or Europa league to suggest that Celtic or Rangers players are international class. By default all of the great young SPL hopes being mentioned on here cant and probably wont be good enough either.

We've got three or four very good championship players, Fletcher, over 30, Cooper late 20's who might not even want it and McBurnie and McGinn.

I suppose I am being a bit unfair in trying to find players to give Belgium and the likes a game, but our only hope is that Clarke can get all the players operating in a way that maximises their potential.

Not all international managers can do this so it is all up to him but I cant see how when 2 of our best players cant complement each other, in fact make it three if you bring Tierney in "I left him out as I don't see him being top class any were but left back."  Clarke has big problems

Ffs Scotland are not a top international team anymore (were we ever?). 

Clarke doesn’t need to compete with Belgium to be a success in the job. He needs to beat the likes of Kazakhstan and compete with Russia. We have the players to do that. 

I think we’ve had this debate before but what exactly is ‘international class’ in your eyes? The vast majority of international teams are not great and most of our players would walk into them. By that I mean teams ranked from 50-211.

We need to compete at our level and even McLeish showed we can do that by topping our Nations League group and league. Do we want to be considered the same level as Albania and Israel? No, but that’s where we are. 

Guest ElChris04

James Forrest, Callum McGregor, Kieran Tierney, Ryan Christie, Ryan Fraser, Andrew Robertson, Scott McTominay, John McGinn, Stuart Armstrong, Leigh Griffiths ( when he’s back and fit )

For me that’s the quality group of players we have. 

Mikey Johnstone, Ewan Henderson, Emon Brophy, Jack Harper, David Turnbull could join that group if called up and giving the chance.

Already created the Mikey Johnstone thread wether he he should be giving the call up and the majority currently agreed he should be called up. Do I think Henderson,Turnbull,Harper will be called up? No. But they aren’t far off a call up.

As for Johnstone and Brophy said it before, they for me they deserve to be called up on Tuesday. Here’s hoping.

Edited by ElChris04

18 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Callum McGregor said after the game today he's now looking forward to his holidays.

Imagine squad will not meet up until a week on Monday, so Hearts and Celtic players will probably go for a weeks holidays from tonight, as most the squad will be on holiday just now before meeting up with the squad after next weekend.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

To which 2 are you referring?

10 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

James Forrest, Callum McGregor, Kieran Tierney, Ryan Christie, Ryan Fraser, Andrew Robertson, Scott McTominay, John McGinn, Stuart Armstrong, Leigh Griffiths ( when he’s back and fit )

For me that’s the quality group of players we have. 

Mikey Johnstone, Ewan Henderson, Emon Brophy, Jack Harper, David Turnbull could join that group if called up and giving the chance.

Already created the Mikey Johnstone thread wether he he should be giving the call up and the majority currently agreed he should be called up. Do I think Henderson,Turnbull,Harper will be called up? No. But they aren’t far off a call up.

As for Johnstone and Brophy said it before, they for me they deserve to be called up on Tuesday. Here’s hoping.

So we have no defenders(Robertson cant defend}, no goal keeper, and no striker based on that,. After that you have to take a leap of faith the our SPL players are quality despite their clubs performance in Europe suggesting other wise, And then an even bigger one that some fringe players in what might be a very weak league.

Will Say I think if we get the best out of McBurnie he will be very important to us.

You can't make a team out of that unless you are a magician.

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

To which 2 are you referring?

Robertson and Fraser, I just think that both are great attacking but neither are strong enough defensively to complement each other when the rest of any starting eleven cant defend.

It's easy to try and say, as long as we beat the weaker teams we have a chance but already we have dropped three. Our usual 18 points from the three teams ranked below us is blown already

They might have against Albania  and/or Israel but I don't see it as a given against Cyprus. 

32 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So we have no defenders(Robertson cant defend}, no goal keeper, and no striker based on that,. After that you have to take a leap of faith the our SPL players are quality despite their clubs performance in Europe suggesting other wise, And then an even bigger one that some fringe players in what might be a very weak league.

Will Say I think if we get the best out of McBurnie he will be very important to us.

You can't make a team out of that unless you are a magician.

If you think Robertson can’t defend  you can’t have watched the Champions League semi-final. Mental. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Ffs Scotland are not a top international team anymore (were we ever?). 

Clarke doesn’t need to compete with Belgium to be a success in the job. He needs to beat the likes of Kazakhstan and compete with Russia. We have the players to do that. 

I think we’ve had this debate before but what exactly is ‘international class’ in your eyes? The vast majority of international teams are not great and most of our players would walk into them. By that I mean teams ranked from 50-211.

We need to compete at our level and even McLeish showed we can do that by topping our Nations League group and league. Do we want to be considered the same level as Albania and Israel? No, but that’s where we are. 

You need to be better than the teams below you to even have a chance of competing with  Russia. Slovakia and the likes so your right that is Clarkes job. In my text you quoted I did say it was unfair to suggest we should be able to compete against Belgium.

In my eyes"international class" is a minimum of at least being able to start in top league games on a regular basis. If you are not playing in a top league but playing for a team that is by far the best in a mediocre league you should at least be able to compete in Europe.

Think you are over estimating our players if you think most would get a game for countries of equal rankings.

Were we ever a top international team?  No, but we where competitive.

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You need to be better than the teams below you to even have a chance of competing with  Russia. Slovakia and the likes so your right that is Clarkes job. In my text you quoted I did say it was unfair to suggest we should be able to compete against Belgium.

In my eyes"international class" is a minimum of at least being able to start in top league games on a regular basis. If you are not playing in a top league but playing for a team that is by far the best in a mediocre league you should at least be able to compete in Europe.

Think you are over estimating our players if you think most would get a game for countries of equal rankings.

Were we ever a top international team?  No, but we where competitive.

I think you might be confusing international class with elite international class. 

You don’t need to be playing in a top league to play for Albania, Lithuania or even Scotland. 

There are different classes of international football and we’re not in a very good one at the moment. 

Most teams ranked 50th or lower would love to have our players to choose from. We have good players playing in Scotland and England. We just need a bit of organisation and we will be beating the likes of Kazakhstan and Cyprus comfortably. We can then aim to compete with the likes of Russia etc and start challenging for qualification again.