Clake's first sqaud - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clake's first sqaud

jamboman

17 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

May have mentioned before, but is there any reason for Snodgrass not being in the squad or has he ruled himself out. Would at least have him on the bench.

Snodgrass is getting married at some point over the next few weeks so I would assume he is one of the three players that were excused because of that. 

Whether or not there’s more to it than that I don’t know. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Snodgrass is getting married at some point over the next few weeks so I would assume he is one of the three players that were excused because of that. 

Whether or not there’s more to it than that I don’t know. 

Thanks, would be nice if the supporters got told but hopefully he will be back.

5 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Thanks, would be nice if the supporters got told but hopefully he will be back.

Going by Clarke’s press conference I think he assured the players he phoned that their conversations would remain private which is fair enough but like you say it would be good to know what was happening. 

I’m sure everything will be a bit clearer once the September squad is announced. 

Guest ElChris04
2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Going by Clarke’s press conference I think he assured the players he phoned that their conversations would remain private which is fair enough but like you say it would be good to know what was happening. 

I’m sure everything will be a bit clearer once the September squad is announced. 

Was there any update on Liam Cooper? He did mention he had positive talks, I’m guessing he is another that’s getting wed along with snodgrass..

5 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Was there any update on Liam Cooper? He did mention he had positive talks, I’m guessing he is another that’s getting wed along with snodgrass..

Clarke confirmed that talks with Cooper went well but he’s currently injured so wasn’t available.

He’ll be in the squad in September if he’s fit I would imagine. 

Guest ElChris04
33 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Clarke confirmed that talks with Cooper went well but he’s currently injured so wasn’t available.

Ahh right cheers then, hopefully is can see him being a huge part on our road to qualification, same with Snodgrass. Another I don’t see mentioned is Matt Phillips, definitely not the worst. Wonder if he’s in Richie’s boat and is done playing for us..

5 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Ahh right cheers then, hopefully is can see him being a huge part on our road to qualification, same with Snodgrass. Another I don’t see mentioned is Matt Phillips, definitely not the worst. Wonder if he’s in Richie’s boat and is done playing for us..

Not sure about Phillips. I know that West Brom rested him before the playoffs so maybe he’s carrying a knock or knackered?

Or maybe Clarke just didn’t select him? We’re well covered with wide men. It’s centre forwards we’re struggling with. I know Phillips has played up front for us but I’d rather have an actual striker in that position so maybe Clarke does as well. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

He also said he was disappointed that the private talks with Cooper were leaked to the press.

5 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

He also said he was disappointed that the private talks with Cooper were leaked to the press.

Which was weird because the only details I can find on what happened in the talks are direct quotes from Clarke himself. Not that I’ve been looking that hard. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Which was weird because the only details I can find on what happened in the talks are direct quotes from Clarke himself. Not that I’ve been looking that hard. 

Yeah I certainly hadn’t read anything either. Unless it was in the local Leeds press or something?

There was something in the Record a day or two before, but it was hardly anything ground breaking (maybe Clarke just has zero tolerance to the media getting an "exclusive" on anything before he announces it?)

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Not sure about Phillips. I know that West Brom rested him before the playoffs so maybe he’s carrying a knock or knackered?

Or maybe Clarke just didn’t select him? We’re well covered with wide men. It’s centre forwards we’re struggling with. I know Phillips has played up front for us but I’d rather have an actual striker in that position so maybe Clarke does as well. 

I suspect he just needs a rest or operation, as it would kind of put Steven Reid in a somewhat awkward position, given he is also the WBA assistant manager.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

There was something in the Record a day or two before, but it was hardly anything ground breaking (maybe Clarke just has zero tolerance to the media getting an "exclusive" on anything before he announces it?)

He doesn't, next to fuck all got leaked when he was at Killie!

46 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hopefully not, he's rank rotten.

I’m still undecided. Haven’t seen enough of him to form a proper opinion but I have seen a couple of big mistakes which make me nervous. 

All our central defenders make me nervous though.

Just now, Texas Pete said:

I’m still undecided. Haven’t seen enough of him to form a proper opinion but I have seen a couple of big mistakes which make me nervous. 

I thought he was okay until I saw him in the flesh for Leeds this season.

Cooper broke into the Hull team and Scotland youth set up the same time as Tom Cairney, but their careers took different paths.

After taking a step further down than Cairney he has built his career up where he is Leeds captain, and Leeds had the second best defensive record in the Championship last season, so he is certainly been worthy of a call up and maybe a cap here and there.

Only issue is, every time I have watched a Leeds game he comes across as a bombscare, and with Scotland that would certainly be punished a lot more than it would be with Leeds (but again, stats show that he must be doing something right) and not helped that two Scotland managers have called him up, not used him (he was about the only player not to see any game time when Strachan did that two squads thing against Czech Rep and Denmark few years back... and then Eck called him up but never used him... only to be discarded after that).

Think he should have been at least capped to see what he can offer long by now, but doubt he is the answer we are looking for at the back. 

27 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I think it's just that all our central defenders (excluding Mulgrew) are young. They'll make mistakes but I think they deserve time. I'm very happy with the idea of McKenna and Souttar alongside each other in 5 years time.

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I wouldn't say we are well covered for wide men to be honest, after Fraser and Forrest we have Olly Burke, Johnny Russell and Lewis Morgan as back up and Phillips is a better option than all 3 of them

2 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I think it's just that all our central defenders (excluding Mulgrew) are young. They'll make mistakes but I think they deserve time. I'm very happy with the idea of McKenna and Souttar alongside each other in 5 years time.

I'm sticking my neck out here but I think FIndlay is a better CH than at least one of them.

17 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Absolutely agree. 

I think those two players will be massive for us over the next 10 years. Experience always seems to be more valuable for central defenders though for some reason. Managers are far more likely to trust a young midfielders, striker or even full back. 

I think Souttar’s inexperience was exposed against Israel last year and ended up costing us. 

The next two games are massive for our central defence I think. If they can come out of the Belgium game (relatively) unscathed then it would do wonders for the confidence of whoever plays. A 6-0 drubbing could do the opposite but let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. 

22 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

I wouldn't say we are well covered for wide men to be honest, after Fraser and Forrest we have Olly Burke, Johnny Russell and Lewis Morgan as back up and Phillips is a better option than all 3 of them

Big difference is Ritchie doesn’t bother his arse with Scotland so I’d rather have someone who wants to play like Russell who will give it his all.  

31 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Cooper broke into the Hull team and Scotland youth set up the same time as Tom Cairney, but their careers took different paths.

After taking a step further down than Cairney he has built his career up where he is Leeds captain, and Leeds had the second best defensive record in the Championship last season, so he is certainly been worthy of a call up and maybe a cap here and there.

Only issue is, every time I have watched a Leeds game he comes across as a bombscare, and with Scotland that would certainly be punished a lot more than it would be with Leeds (but again, stats show that he must be doing something right) and not helped that two Scotland managers have called him up, not used him (he was about the only player not to see any game time when Strachan did that two squads thing against Czech Rep and Denmark few years back... and then Eck called him up but never used him... only to be discarded after that).

Think he should have been at least capped to see what he can offer long by now, but doubt he is the answer we are looking for at the back. 

Maybe the reason that Strachan and McLeish called him up but didn’t play him is that they saw him in training and thought he was rotten?

10 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Maybe the reason that Strachan and McLeish called him up but didn’t play him is that they saw him in training and thought he was rotten?

That is exactly what plays at the back of my mind whenever I have thought about why he has never been capped so far.

On paper certainly looks enough squad player, yet he rarely gets call up, only to be never called upon again until the next manager comes in, which says that when Strachan and Eck have seen him up close neither have fancied him