Clake's first sqaud - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clake's first sqaud

jamboman

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Give the best seats in the stadium to people that want to stand?

Not my choice but if the authorities can't make them sit down it's best to avoid them. 

21 hours ago, Mox said:

What was Kilmarnock a style? Any time I seen them at Celtic Park under Clarke they were agressive, quick, played football from the back and showed no fear, if that tests the patience of fans then they've not got a clue.

Now I didn't see the game last night but I've seen Kilmarnocks style all of a sudden being brought to the fore when in fact anytime I've seen them they play excellent football. There seems to be a suggestion that they are quite agricultural in style, Ive not seen that and they're certainly not in the same bracket as Aberdeen, Hearts, Livingston etc.

Bang on, it's mainly Huns portraying this myth.

If McLeish, Moyes, McInnes or Mackay had been in charge the other day, we'd have been frightened to attack, pissing around with the midfield passing back to the defence, back to midfield again and back to defence again. Full time result being a 0-0 draw or 1-0 loss.

Clarke has the right idea.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If McLeish, Moyes, McInnes or Mackay had been in charge the other day, we'd have been frightened to attack, pissing around with the midfield passing back to the defence, back to midfield again and back to defence again. Full time result being a 0-0 draw or 1-0 loss.

...or 1-1. Specifically  I think if McLeish had been in charge, we would not have got that winning goal. If only because the fans would be having kittens. Heads would be down, we'd be thinking "it's just not to be" and "we need to rebuild with a new manager".  Rather than "We must win this!"

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That's pretty much exactly what we did for the whole of the first half. I can't understand this idea that Saturday's performance was better just because we had a different manager in charge. It's almost like folk have convinced themselves that because Clarke is a better manager than McLeish then we must have played better. I'm starting to think that I must have been watching a different game. Our performance on Saturday was no better and no worse than our last two home games against Albania and Israel. Both of which we won much more comfortably than the game against Cyprus.

16 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That's pretty much exactly what we did for the whole of the first half. I can't understand this idea that Saturday's performance was better just because we had a different manager in charge. It's almost like folk have convinced themselves that because Clarke is a better manager than McLeish then we must have played better. I'm starting to think that I must have been watching a different game. Our performance on Saturday was no better and no worse than our last two home games against Albania and Israel. Both of which we won much more comfortably than the game against Cyprus.

I disagree. I think that Saturday's performance was actually worse than the Israel and Albania games. 

Let's hope it was all nerves. 

Just now, mrniaboc said:

I disagree. I think that Saturday's performance was actually worse than the Israel and Albania games. 

Let's hope it was all nerves.

I think we probably would've beaten Cyprus under McLeish's and may have looked more threatening with the way he set us up, however what Clarke did at Killie and I think he will do with us is look at the issues we have faced and implement simple solutions. We have a terrible defence and very few defensive minded options in midfield, so we sat off Cyprus and never pressed the ball. This was a clear tactic to be compact and keep things tighter at the back. It did limit our attacking threat, however we didn't concede from open play for once. Considering how little time Clarke had with the squad before hand, I am very satisfied with this as a starting point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 4:30 PM, ghtresa said:

I think we probably would've beaten Cyprus under McLeish's and may have looked more threatening with the way he set us up, however what Clarke did at Killie and I think he will do with us is look at the issues we have faced and implement simple solutions. We have a terrible defence and very few defensive minded options in midfield, so we sat off Cyprus and never pressed the ball. This was a clear tactic to be compact and keep things tighter at the back. It did limit our attacking threat, however we didn't concede from open play for once. Considering how little time Clarke had with the squad before hand, I am very satisfied with this as a starting point.

No we don’t. We have an inexperienced defence.

It took (arguably) the best team in the world almost until half time to score against us. They also only scored three, one of which was offside and one was scored in injury time. 

I’m not saying we have a fantastic defence. Far from it. What we do have is one of the best left backs in Europe (who didn’t even play in Brussels), a couple of young, but promising, centre backs and a problem at right back. 

If O’Donnell can keep progressing or if Tierney gets back to full fitness and plays at right back and if Souttar, McKenna and possibly Bates can keep developing then we may well have a decent defence for the next 10 years or so. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

No we don’t. We have an inexperienced defence.

It took (arguably) the best team in the world almost until half time to score against us. They also only scored three, one of which was offside and one was scored in injury time. 

I’m not saying we have a fantastic defence. Far from it. What we do have is one of the best left backs in Europe (who didn’t even play in Brussels), a couple of young, but promising, centre backs and a problem at right back. 

If O’Donnell can keep progressing or if Tierney gets back to full fitness and plays at right back and if Souttar, McKenna and possibly Bates can keep developing then we may well have a decent defence for the next 10 years or so. 

Agreed. I thought the first 44 minutes of that match was some of the best defensive work I've seen Scotland do in some time. I know it's tough to celebrate a 3-0 loss, but I think we did show glimpses that we're going to be tough to break down in the future. That defense is young and promising. I'm now really looking forward to them progressing and earning more and more caps together.

4 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Agreed. I thought the first 44 minutes of that match was some of the best defensive work I've seen Scotland do in some time. I know it's tough to celebrate a 3-0 loss, but I think we did show glimpses that we're going to be tough to break down in the future. That defense is young and promising. I'm now really looking forward to them progressing and earning more and more caps together.

Except THAT defence contained Charlie Mulgrew.

We did show a lot of calmness under pressure though which was pleasing considering what we were up against.

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think a fair bit of the relative defences  success was down to the composure of McTominay and McLean, Should we set our selves up  like that for all games though is another matter.

It is a good base to work from which I think is Clarkes intention. Mctominay and McLean have shown so far they are our best and most trusted combination in the two central holding midfield positions. They hold their positions very well, give good protection to the back four and are a good platform for the players ahead of them to attack when they have the opportunity

Would agree with the sentiments about McTominay and McLean. Bar the stupid mistake at the end of the first half, they offered generally better protection than we have seen for a long time. Armstrong going off damaged us a lot because we lost a lot of our early ability in the game to take ourselves up the park. Harsh as it is on Callum McGregor, he may well miss out on some games through no fault of his own. Defensively, swap Tierney for SOD and that may be our best setup just now.