Clake's first sqaud - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clake's first sqaud

jamboman

24 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Regarding the low block. Clarke said the players took him too literally and asked them to play further forward in the second half. I do think playing Kilmarnock’s style at Hampden will test the patience of some of the support. 

What was Kilmarnock a style? Any time I seen them at Celtic Park under Clarke they were agressive, quick, played football from the back and showed no fear, if that tests the patience of fans then they've not got a clue.

Now I didn't see the game last night but I've seen Kilmarnocks style all of a sudden being brought to the fore when in fact anytime I've seen them they play excellent football. There seems to be a suggestion that they are quite agricultural in style, Ive not seen that and they're certainly not in the same bracket as Aberdeen, Hearts, Livingston etc.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

I agree pretty much with your first comment, your second is a bit harsh IMHO.

We've two or three very good players, any number of good players and a few that probably aren't good enough to play international football but they're the best we have in their positions.

A manager that has the tactical nous and ability to set up and organise that group should see us being more successful than we've been in recent years.  

Our baseline, IMO, should be that we should be looking to be competitive and looking at second place in any qualification group and that's a level we haven't reached for years.

Whether Clarke is the man to do that, time will tell, but it won't happen overnight. 

I think we have four good players. Robertson, Fraser, Teirney and Armstrong. Two of them weren't on the pitch last night. McTominay might become one but too early to say, for me.

Most of the Cyprus players last night showed better technique than most of our players. Most of our players are very lacking in basic skills. I don't think Clarke or any other international manager can change that. Cyprus created enough chances to win last night. They just lack a decent goal scorer. I have very little confidence that we can win the away game against Cyprus. I just hope it's still meaningful when it comes around. 

25 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think we have four good players. Robertson, Fraser, Teirney and Armstrong. Two of them weren't on the pitch last night. McTominay might become one but too early to say, for me.

Most of the Cyprus players last night showed better technique than most of our players. Most of our players are very lacking in basic skills. I don't think Clarke or any other international manager can change that. Cyprus created enough chances to win last night. They just lack a decent goal scorer. I have very little confidence that we can win the away game against Cyprus. I just hope it's still meaningful when it comes around. 

Thought Cyprus defence looked very suspect last night. Any crosses into the box and running drives towards them seemed to send them into a panic somewhat (they certainly seemed a bit all over the place with crosses) but they seemed to have total confidence in their keeper to keep things tidy.

6 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Thought Cyprus defence looked very suspect last night. Any crosses into the box and running drives towards them seemed to send them into a panic somewhat (they certainly seemed a bit all over the place with crosses) but they seemed to have total confidence in their keeper to keep things tidy.

I agree, had we had burke on from the start I reckon he would have done more damage. Brophy didn't do badly but he wasnt the right man for last night or maybe he was nervous, I'm not sure what it was but burke should have been played against that defence.

In the first half our left attack opened them up a few times, in the 2nd half Forrest and o'Donnell joined the party but we didn't have anyone in the middle. Burke gave that option.

4 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Our crossing was really poor last night. Maybe that's what confused their defenders? They must have thought "why are they not crossing the ball to their own players? Do they have some cunning plan we don't know about?".

Our deliver from corners especially was awful. That is just very basic stuff. How an international player can't put in a decent cross from a corner is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Maybe some of the fans should try watching the game sober and then they might appreciate what is actually happening. 

The guy in front of us in the North Stand thought we were playing Malta 🙄

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Our crossing was really poor last night. Maybe that's what confused their defenders? They must have thought "why are they not crossing the ball to their own players? Do they have some cunning plan we don't know about?".

Our deliver from corners especially was awful. That is just very basic stuff. How an international player can't put in a decent cross from a corner is beyond me. 

That was certainly frustrating that Forrest and Fraser got themselves into fantastic positions, and they would be looking for Brophy in the box, only for him to be nowhere to be seen, and would have to go it alone (which did see them hacked down a number of times.... that was another thing, Cyprus players did not seem shy to going in hard on fraser and McGregor).

we are just really unlucky with injuries just now, as that game was crying out for Griffiths and even Fletcher.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Clarke has only been in the job less than two weeks, and the last 5 or so days is probably been first first/only interaction on a one-to-one basis with 90% of the squad.

Yesterday was never going to some special to behold (agree with above statement that it was worse than a lot of games under McLiesh) but did well to come back from the late equaliser, and there was certainly a few positives there in a pretty lacklustre performance.

Listening to Clarke on the radio, sounds like he is giving the players time to get to know him and not forcing to much upon them until he gets to know them better (was asked if he would be sitting the team down to watch the woman’s match today and basically said him and his coaching staff will certainly be watching it, but he would not force the players to watch). 

Think once he has the summer to look over things gets a few players back in September, he will start to put his own stamp on the team.

I agree with this. Whilst it wasn't a great performance it was less scary than of late. 

The response to the equaliser gives me hope. It was encouraging to at least see some fight so late in the game. 

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I agree with this. Whilst it wasn't a great performance it was less scary than of late. 

The response to the equaliser gives me hope. It was encouraging to at least see some fight so late in the game. 

Great description of the game. Weve still got a lot of bumps to come but there is hope and excitement in that squad. 

McGinn and McLean are about to become EPL players, hopefully they keep there spots in their respective teams. I think McGinn definitely will.

Our midfield looks brilliant.

Part of me wouldn't like to see it but McKenna moving would be good for him.and Scotland. He has a good future ahead. Same goes for o'Donnell. 

I hope I'm right but I think we are on the verge of a very good Scotland squad

36 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Great description of the game. Weve still got a lot of bumps to come but there is hope and excitement in that squad. 

McGinn and McLean are about to become EPL players, hopefully they keep there spots in their respective teams. I think McGinn definitely will.

Part of me wouldn't like to see it but McKenna moving would be good for him.and Scotland. He has a good future ahead. Same goes for o'Donnell. 

I really like McGinn , he plays like he really wants to be there. Yes, he can be a bit unpredictable at times, but as you say he is moving into the EPL. Hopefully the step up will improve him in this area, he wont get away with  mistakes at that level. 

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

That will be why they’re professional footballers then?

We might not have highly gifted footballers in our squad but to say most of them are lacking in basic skills is quite ridiculous in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Mox said:

What was Kilmarnock a style? Any time I seen them at Celtic Park under Clarke they were agressive, quick, played football from the back and showed no fear, if that tests the patience of fans then they've not got a clue.

Now I didn't see the game last night but I've seen Kilmarnocks style all of a sudden being brought to the fore when in fact anytime I've seen them they play excellent football. There seems to be a suggestion that they are quite agricultural in style, Ive not seen that and they're certainly not in the same bracket as Aberdeen, Hearts, Livingston etc.

Not agricultural at all, but they do let the opposition have the ball until they reach certain areas of the pitch. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Correct.

4 hours ago, Alan said:

That was genuinely one of the worst home games I have seen in a long time.  Imagine McLeish had been in charge of that and the reaction?  I much preferred our home performances versus Albania and Israel than that.  We really missed Fletcher to hold the ball up, Christie to break forward and Armstrong to carry the team up the pitch.

No threat through the middle.  Poor crossing, so many lazy lobs or dinks with  not enough men in the box. 

This low block against inferior teams will not impress the home support.  Our 2 best players were our full backs.  

We got lucky.  

Positives.  Obviously a lot of positivity to Clarke appointment.  O'Donnel far better than Palmer at RB.  Robertsons goal was even better on tv than live.  We snatched victory from the jaws of ehm draw.  We won!  

Other thoughts are the June internationals should be scrapped as some players finished 2 or 3 weeks ago.  Forrest and Fraser looked leggy.  Also went to North Stand for 1st time in years so the roaster level was x10 with slabbering jakies out on their stag do days out instead of caring about the actual game.  I was right at the back of the stand with constant chatter of steamers on their mobiles talking to mates in the pub. 

Was tough for kids too.  All these "real fans standing" was blocking their views which is a real shame and SFA need to sort that out.

How did we get lucky?

We scored more goals than Cyprus and none of our goals were lucky. Well I suppose Burke’s header could have gone anywhere once it hit the post but it was a good move and a good header. 

We controlled the game from start to finish and a couple of defensive lapses exposed us with one of them costing us a goal. Goals happen in football. Even the Faroes scored against Spain the other night. 

We lacked a bit of creativity and our finishing (except the goals of course) was pretty poor. 

It wasn’t a great performance but it was nowhere near the shambles in Kazakstan. 

On another night we could have won 3-1 or 4-1 with a comfortable victory. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

How did we get lucky?

We scored more goals than Cyprus and none of our goals were lucky. Well I suppose Burke’s header could have gone anywhere once it hit the post but it was a good move and a good header. 

We controlled the game from start to finish and a couple of defensive lapses exposed us with one of them costing us a goal. Goals happen in football. Even the Faroes scored against Spain the other night. 

We lacked a bit of creativity and our finishing (except the goals of course) was pretty poor. 

It wasn’t a great performance but it was nowhere near the shambles in Kazakstan. 

On another night we could have won 3-1 or 4-1 with a comfortable victory. 

Agreed.

We had more shots on goal, more possession, more corners and more shots on target and yet that equates to lucky in Alan's eyes? :blink:

Remember this was a side put together under a new manager inside the last month with only a few days to put plans/ideas across. A win was paramount and we got it.

51 minutes ago, Alan said:

I just don't get Kenny McLean.  Never impressed me at Aberdeen.and that was against Thistle.

He is not being called up because of how he played years ago, I can't say I am a fan yet but he is playing well for Norwich and his last two games for us he has scored once and played decent against Cyprus.  I think at this stage of the season, I would factor in enthusiasm, form and current fitness into my selection choices. It will be interesting to see who starts on Tuesday, I think there will be two starting changes at a minimum. 

5 hours ago, Alan said:

Other thoughts are the June internationals should be scrapped as some players finished 2 or 3 weeks ago. 

Including the Euros and World Cup?

I agree playing in June has never really suited Scotland,  perhaps one reason why our tournament record is so poor. But it's a global sport with a year round calendar so we'll just have to put up with it.

I think Cyprus have to be given credit....technically sound, good range of passing, even when we pressed they managed to pass through us a few times.

The manager set us up accordingly and we got a result....under McLeish I don’t believe we would’ve responded the way we did after their goal. We’ve got a good manager, well respected, with a winning mentality. 

Think we should start with a middle three of McGregor, McTominay and Armstrong against Belgium.

5 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Never, ever go into the North Stand with kids. I thought everyone knew that. 

It's the fuckwits that stand in other areas of the stadium that do my nut in. 

I only watched on TV but it was far from our worst home game. I think you need some perspective on what can be achieved in the first squad under Clarke. 

He's got the lack of confidence to over come and then has to work on his style of play. 

Cheer up, we won. 

I was in B3. Three guys in row P stood for the whole game despite having kids and old folk behind them who couldn’t see. Refused to sit despite being asked to by fellow fans and stewards. The one on the end of the aisle was abusive to the steward. 

They weren’t youngsters either.  One of them said ‘I’ve coming been for 40 years and I always stand’

The steward who was just a young lad supposedly escalated it to his supervisor but nothing happened.

As I bought the ticket package, I might have those ignorant ****s in front of me for the next 4 games.

5 hours ago, aaid said:

A manager that has the tactical nous and ability to set up and organise that group should see us being more successful than we've been in recent years.  

Agree totally.

I watched the end of N Ireland game yesterday and MON made 3 very attacking subs early second half to turn around a v poor performance. Looking at his 14 that he used yesterday I would say Evans and Cathcart are the only players who would get into our starting 11. The rest are Championship players at best. But they are set up well and the players know their roles in his line ups.

1 hour ago, Ta Ta said:

I was in B3. Three guys in row P stood for the whole game despite having kids and old folk behind them who couldn’t see. Refused to sit despite being asked to by fellow fans and stewards. The one on the end of the aisle was abusive to the steward. 

They weren’t youngsters either.  One of them said ‘I’ve coming been for 40 years and I always stand’

The steward who was just a young lad supposedly escalated it to his supervisor but nothing happened.

As I bought the ticket package, I might have those ignorant ****s in front of me for the next 4 games.

That happened to me before too. Utter cunts. Mind you I wasn't as restrained as you. I told them to sit down or I'd put them down. Not my smartest hour. 

If they are there again and they stand again you need to forget the stewards and get a police officer. They might do something about it. 

6 hours ago, Alan said:

I just don't get Kenny McLean.  Never impressed me at Aberdeen.and that was against Thistle.

Same here.

I thought we missed Christie last night, as well as the three forwards that were all unavailable.