Clake's first sqaud - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clake's first sqaud

jamboman

16 hours ago, Orraloon said:

McLeish got sacked on the back of that one disaster performance.

Umm.. one disastrous result in a qualifier. There were other pathetic results, like losing to israel, and I'm not sure we actually put in a genuinely good performance under him even once. So to say the above seems.. a little bit of a misrepresentation at best.

3 hours ago, andyD said:

Umm.. one disastrous result in a qualifier. There were other pathetic results, like losing to israel, and I'm not sure we actually put in a genuinely good performance under him even once. So to say the above seems.. a little bit of a misrepresentation at best.

Well, they didn't sack him after we lost to Israel and they didn't sack him after we got a playoff spot. They sacked him because we got humped by Kazakhstan. If we had beaten Kazakhstan McLeish would still be our manager. 

3 hours ago, andyD said:

Whilst I agree with what your saying we did perform well in the Albania away game which we won 4 nil.

3 hours ago, andyD said:

You seem to be wildly missing the point, whether intentionally or otherwise. You've bored me either way, so i'll say it one last time.

You say "we need our players available", and the Fletch situation is most likely "rest him now, so he can get properly fit and he's 100% for the 6 (more important) games later".

It is exactly what you're asking for: "we need our players available".

if you can't get that.. then... ok.

Apologist

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Well, they didn't sack him after we lost to Israel and they didn't sack him after we got a playoff spot. They sacked him because we got humped by Kazakhstan. If we had beaten Kazakhstan McLeish would still be our manager.  

No one gets sacked for one game, do they? It's a cumulative thing.

Lack of wins. No coherent strategy. Unsettled players and fans. Scraping thru an easy Nations League group. Losing to the Khazaks and playing poorly against San Marino. It all added up.

13 minutes ago, andyD said:

I'm repeating your own argument back to you and explaining the logic of it.. and you're disagreeing, you daftie! :D

No you're making apologies of why he shouldn't be in the squad

5 minutes ago, Bino's said:

No you're making apologies of why he shouldn't be in the squad

Go back to the last page.

I said neither of us know why he's not in the squad.
You said he wasn't in it because he's managing an injury.

So, IF you're right, i gave you the astoundingly obvious reason why it's 100% logical for him to miss these games.

This is like arguing with a goldfish! :D

11 minutes ago, andyD said:

So, IF you're right, i gave you the astoundingly obvious reason why it's 100% logical for him to miss these games.

Keep making offensive comments if you like

But you're making apologies for someone who can make no minutes for us despite routinely playing for his club

A practice we must cut out going forward

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

But you're making apologies for someone who can make no minutes for us despite routinely playing for his club

A practice we must cut out going forward

Urgh.. Last post on this cos i'm utterly bored.

I don't know why Fletch is absent.
But he's talked with Clarke, and he seems happy enough with the situation.
If Clarke leaves him out in future, then ok. If he calls him up for the next double header, then cool.
The manager knows the details, he'll make the decision and I'll go with him on it.

You are railing against Fletch's inclusion, because you've decided in your own head what the reason for his absence is. Despite you being clueless as to the reason for his absence, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, and explained that assuming you're right. it makes 100% sense for him to miss these two games.

I'm explaining YOUR made up position to yourself.

I'm not being an apologist for anyone except perhaps you, as you insist on pretending to know something that you don't, and i'm enabling that by letting you.

End of the day.. your own argument (which isn't based in reality) falls down when it's repeated back to you.
You can get pissy about it and start accusing me of being an apologist, but i'm just repeated YOUR position back to you. As such, it's an utter waste of my time carrying on talking to you about it. I'm basically just being a proxy so that you can have an argument with yourself that you don't seem wquite bright enough to have on your own. So good luck. At least I can step out of the 'conversation' and you can carry on ignoring the world and believing you're right with no evidence to that effect.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Hard to argue with that.

No need for that, Oraloon.

andD's points are perfectly valid.

On topic - I said a week or so ago that I fully expect Burke to start up top v Belgium.

SC's recent comments cement that expectation.

28 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

On topic - I said a week or so ago that I fully expect Burke to start up top v Belgium.

SC's recent comments cement that expectation.

What has he said that makes you think that? 

In the interviews I’ve seen he has mentioned all the strikers in the squad so I’m still none the wiser as to who will start. 

I may well have missed what’ve you’ve seen though. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

What has he said that makes you think that? 

In the interviews I’ve seen he has mentioned all the strikers in the squad so I’m still none the wiser as to who will start. 

I may well have missed what’ve you’ve seen though. 

The staring line up tomorrow night will give us more of a clue. Kompany, Alderwerield and Vertonghen are all excellent players. However, France got past them last year by sticking Giroud up top which pinned Kompany back. And they needed to get lucky with a dead ball and defend like trojans to make it happen.

Our strengths right now are Fraser, Forrest, Armstrong , McGregor coming onto balls where they can put defenders on the back foot by running at them.

And what do you need to do that? A physical presence up front to hold defenders off and lay a ball off for the aforementioned group coming forward.

Brophy and Ressell have their qualities, but they are not that kind of player.

Hence Burke.

4 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

The staring line up tomorrow night will give us more of a clue. Kompany, Alderwerield and Vertonghen are all excellent players. However, France got past them last year by sticking Giroud up top which pinned Kompany back. And they needed to get lucky with a dead ball and defend like trojans to make it happen.

Our strengths right now are Fraser, Forrest, Armstrong , McGregor coming onto balls where they can put defenders on the back foot by running at them.

And what do you need to do that? A physical presence up front to hold defenders off and lay a ball off for the aforementioned group coming forward.

Brophy and Ressell have their qualities, but they are not that kind of player.

Hence Burke.

That’s why you think Burke will start against Belgium. I was asking what it was that Clarke said that cemented your opinion? 

I don’t disagree with your opinion though I was just wondering what Clarke has said that I missed. 

21 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Here it is TP:  "Players suitable for this game (i.e. Cyprus) might not be the players suitable for the next game".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64DM-QAKoo

My guess? Russell/Brophy will share duties v Cyprus.

Burke is a stick-on for Tuesday, unless Joe Jordan gets called up.

Cheers. 

Might be hard to drop whoever starts tomorrow if they bag a couple of goals though. 

On 6/6/2019 at 8:03 PM, Orraloon said:

That is exactly Clarke's biggest challenge. Can he convince the players that they really want to play for Scotland? I hope he does but I'm not holding my breath. McLeish got sacked on the back of that one disaster performance. Fair enough, he may be a shyte manager and deserved to get sacked. But the players need to take their share of the responsibility as well. Not just the players on the park, who were truly awful, but also the ones who decided that they didn't want to play. They need to take a long hard look at themselves in a mirror and decide if they really want to play at a major tournament. If they are not totally up for it then they should just concentrate on their club career and stop messing the manager about. 

Yes. Clarke will get the best out of each and every one of them.

Mcleish got sacked because he was utter shite at his job, all the time and in every way. The fact he was appointed in the first place and lasted as long as he did was a disgrace. 

5 hours ago, andyD said:

4 hours ago, Bino's said:

You get offended by being compared to a goldfish?