Clake's first sqaud - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clake's first sqaud

jamboman

46 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm sticking my neck out here but I think FIndlay is a better CH than at least one of them.

Well, along with someone like Porteous coming along too we'll have competition for places. Maybe Bates will make it too.

For all the gloom of Kazakhstan it's still a positive future.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm sticking my neck out here but I think FIndlay is a better CH than at least one of them.

He’s better than all bar Souttar.

IMO our best centre backs once injuries settle down are;

Souttar, Findlay, McKenna, Porteous & Bates with Bates well off the other 4 and Porteous with potentially to be better than them all maybe. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Souttar, Findlay, McKenna, Porteous & Bates with Bates well off the other 4 and Porteous with potentially to be better than them all maybe. 

There’s also the lad at Liverpool, George Johnston,  who seems to be highly rated. It will be interesting to see if he emerges. A loan no doubt required. 

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

There’s also the lad at Liverpool, George Johnston,  who seems to be highly rated. It will be interesting to see if he emerges. A loan no doubt required. 

He turns 21 this September and has still to make his professional debut. It's highly unlikely that he will make it at Liverpool.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He turns 21 this September and has still to make his professional debut. It's highly unlikely that he will make it at Liverpool.

Doesn’t mean he won’t make it with Scotland. He did play for the first team in a friendly and centre halves don’t often make debuts at young ages for clubs going for the top prizes.

6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Doesn’t mean he won’t make it with Scotland. He did play for the first team in a friendly and centre halves don’t often make debuts at young ages for clubs going for the top prizes.

First team in a friendly woo hoo. So what ? Thousands of youth team players, at every club and in every league in Europe, will get the chance to play for their clubs first team in friendly matches over the next couple of months. 

He's nearly 21 and is still to make his professional debut. I appreciate he has had a couple of bad injuries but he needs to either go out on loan next season or get a permanent transfer somewhere else. 

7 hours ago, ProudScot said:

But, but, but.................where's Berra????

8 hours ago, ProudScot said:

That's a pretty fair statement. Stuart Findlay certainly deserves a couple of games to prove himself for Scotland and it looks like Clarke wants to give Liam Cooper a chance later at some point.

Michael Devlin deserves to be kept in mind if we are hit by injuries and suspensions.

We might consider Liam Lindsay but only if he is playing well this coming season for Barnsley. 

Christophe Berra, Grant Hanley, Paul Hanlon, Jack Hendry I don't think we need bother selecting again. Whilst Russell Martin and Mark Reynolds are a million miles away from selection now. 

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That's a pretty fair statement. Stuart Findlay certainly deserves a couple of games to prove himself for Scotland and it looks like Clarke wants to give Liam Cooper a chance later at some point.

Michael Devlin deserves to be kept in mind if we are hit by injuries and suspensions.

We might consider Liam Lindsay but only if he is playing well this coming season for Barnsley. 

Christophe Berra, Grant Hanley, Paul Hanlon, Jack Hendry I don't think we need bother selecting again. Whilst Russell Martin and Mark Reynolds are a million miles away from selection now. 

Bizarrely the best game I’ve seen Hendry play was for Scotland. Looked very assured. 

22 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Bizarrely the best game I’ve seen Hendry play was for Scotland. Looked very assured. 

A fluke. So woefully out of his depth at Celtic it makes one feel sorry for him. He's very far away from ever being picked again for Scotland. 

32 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Agree with all of that especially Lindsay. Considering he was a standout in the SPL two years ago and has nothing wrong down south other than joining a team that got relegated it amazes me that he seems to have been totally forgotten on here.

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Agree with all of that especially Lindsay. Considering he was a standout in the SPL two years ago and has nothing wrong down south other than joining a team that got relegated it amazes me that he seems to have been totally forgotten on here.

Craig Bryson was POTY with Derby more than once, captain and playing every single week for season after season and never got a look in!

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Craig Bryson was POTY with Derby more than once, captain and playing every single week for season after season and never got a look in!

Aye, Bryson should have gotten more opportunities to show what he could have done for Scotland. There were quite a few of us on here calling for him to be included, along with Stuart Armstrong who Strachan strangely ignored for quite a while.

On the other side of the coin, Strachan did have Fletcher, Brown, Maloney, Snodgrass, McArthur, Adam, Bannan and Dorrans all available for a central midfield role at the time.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

22 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Haud on there. All the 4/5 mentioned have everything except..experience. Grant Hanley will playing in the prem next year and is only 27 with stacks of caps. Plus he is left-footed though plays on the right and balance is key. Just don't discount him yet.

8 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Haud on there. All the 4/5 mentioned have everything except..experience. Grant Hanley will playing in the prem next year and is only 27 with stacks of caps. Plus he is left-footed though plays on the right and balance is key. Just don't discount him yet.

His season at Norwich was a stop/start one with recurring injuries. 

And how do we know Norwich won't do what Fulham did and buy almost a whole new team this summer ?

How many of you would like to see Grant Hanley back in the squad ? Not I for one.

28 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

How many of you would like to see Grant Hanley back in the squad ? Not I for one.

Hopefully we won’t need to recall him if the younger guys step up and stay injury free. 

Having said that, if he does manage to stay in the Norwich team then a season (at least) in the EPL will only make him a better player.

Central defenders tend to peak a bit later than other positions. I’m sure Colin Hendry was 28 before he even got his first cap so who knows? Maybe Hanley will still do a job for us  

Will be interesting to see how he gets on in the Premiership,or if he even gets game time as it looks like he is fourth choice at the moment

But all the SPL defenders mentioned on here with next to no experience are all risky propositions at least Hanley has played at a higher level and for longer.

So as others are saying don't rule him out yet.

Didn't realise he was Blackburn captain at 22.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

On 6/1/2019 at 7:31 PM, Texas Pete said:

Hopefully we won’t need to recall him if the younger guys step up and stay injury free. 

Having said that, if he does manage to stay in the Norwich team then a season (at least) in the EPL will only make him a better player.

Central defenders tend to peak a bit later than other positions. I’m sure Colin Hendry was 28 before he even got his first cap so who knows? Maybe Hanley will still do a job for us  

Yeah, Davie Weir didn't get his first of 69 caps until he was 27! Hanly reminds me a bit of Weir in that he's not technically that gifted but he has a real understanding that if the ball is not in the box then it's much less likely to go in the goal. He gets his head on a lot of balls that come into the box!