Clake's first sqaud - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clake's first sqaud

jamboman

34 minutes ago, scotlad said:

the hates - Mulgrew (past it)

29 games in the championship this season, scoring 10 goals.
Mid-table finish for a newly promoted side after flirting with the play-offs challenge for half the year.
A very respectable performance by a team that he made a big contribution to.

But I'm sure you're right.

5 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Sky just said 3 players had weddings planned, I know Fleck is one. 

Do we know who the other two are?

Nothing been said, but hazard a guess Jack Hendry and Callum Patterson, as they are both pretty striking omissions that not had any mentions

Edited by wanderer

56 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Is it just me or is this more or less a carbon copy of most of McLeish's squads? With the exception of 3 of the 4 Killie inclusions (expected).

That said, I do believe we have a nucleus of talent that can make us a good side. Hopefully under new management they can somehow unlock it. The players looked lost and confused most of the time on the pitch under Eck.

It is very similar.  The big problem McLeish had was a third of the players pulled out every time.  

51 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Is it just me or is this more or less a carbon copy of most of McLeish's squads? With the exception of 3 of the 4 Killie inclusions (expected).

That said, I do believe we have a nucleus of talent that can make us a good side. Hopefully under new management they can somehow unlock it. The players looked lost and confused most of the time on the pitch under Eck.

Never had a problem with McLeish's squads, just what he did with it.  As you say, the talent's there.

I'd have liked Turnbull but when folks say 'x shouldn't be near the squad' you have to ask what the alternative is. Sugestions seemto be fitting players into right back who don't regularly play there. Look what happened to Shinnie. Up front we've not got Griffiths, Naismith, Fletcher and McBurnie so you're down to picking Burke.

I actually like Phillips but I know I've not got much support there.

15 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Nothing been said, but hazard a guess Jack Hendry and Callum Patterson, as they are both pretty striking omissions that not had any mentions

Paterson is still out from the injury he picked up against San Marino

Jack Hendry should be nowhere near the squad

36 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

What are the details of the call to Cooper, is it in the press? 

As far as I can see it was reported that Clarke and Cooper had positive talks and that Cooper would be playing for Scotland under Clarke. 

I can only assume that Cooper is one of the three getting married or has a holiday booked or something and will be included in September’s squad. 

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Bobby Ferguson did at the time and Tommy McClean did (although his first cap was three or four years later).

Campbell Forsyth Killie's other keeper from the title winning season also won a few caps, as did centre half Jackie McGrory. 

Wee Tam remains the last Killie player to score for Scotland.  Hopefully that record won't last much longer...

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

And no Bates unless he's injured.

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

Posted a photo on twitter last night of him watching tv with a cast over his foot, so injured. 

Partially torn ankle ligament. Out for two months, hopes to be back for when the BL2 gets underway at the end of July. 

5 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Correct. He should be nowhere near the Scotland squad.

Nobody said he should be.

What was said was that hopefully him or another right back develops so we aren’t left with O’Donnell & Palmer, both of which are complete dung.

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Jack Hendry who last played for Celtic in February is a "striking omission" WTF :lol:

6 hours ago, andyD said:

But, Rhodes hasn't had a bad year with 9 goals, despite being largely benched due to Pukki being unplayable all year.

So there were other, imo better, options that we should have taken. Feels like we're going to really struggle to score.

Well I've slated you a 100 times for bringing Rhodes up, but 6 goals in 1017 minutes of Championship football this season is streets ahead of the players selected..

5 hours ago, andyD said:

29 games in the championship this season, scoring 10 goals.
Mid-table finish for a newly promoted side after flirting with the play-offs challenge for half the year.
A very respectable performance by a team that he made a big contribution to.

But I'm sure you're right.

That's quite impressive except 1) playing for a midtable team in the second tier of English football isn't all that great a standard and 2) he's generally struggled when playing for Scotland lately; and considering he won't see 30 again I don't reckon he'll improve much.

If he's picked to play against Cyprus or Belgium and has a great game I'll happily come on here and admit I was wrong. Until then I'm sticking with my opinion.

33 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That's quite impressive except 1) playing for a midtable team in the second tier of English football isn't all that great a standard and 2) he's generally struggled when playing for Scotland lately; and considering he won't see 30 again I don't reckon he'll improve much.

If he's picked to play against Cyprus or Belgium and has a great game I'll happily come on here and admit I was wrong. Until then I'm sticking with my opinion.

Add the fact that he has sat on the bench for Blackburns last five games and you could be right.

Weak up front but that's nothing new.

The reality is it will be a damaged limitation 5 across the midfield away to Belgium so whoever is upfront won't be seeing much of the ball. Hopefully home advantage will be enough to see off Cyprus otherwise SC will start getting stick from his first game.

Hopefully Ryan Fraser can stay fit now, have a run of games and start playing as well for his nation as he does for his club. He's going to be a key player in the final third when you look at the decisive period in March 2020.