Clake's first sqaud - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clake's first sqaud

jamboman

28 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

Depressing number of people on FB calling Burke for a start ? Is not and never will be a footballer.

Agreed. His Celtic career summed up by being largely anonymous v Hearts reserves and getting hooked at HT for a 16 year old.

I have never seen a football player at this level who looks more oblivious to whats happening around about him on the pitch.

I would like to have seen David Turnbull and Lewis Ferguson brought along, even just to train but otherwise it's not bad. 

Good to see Liam Kelly has kept his place in the squad. 

I'll second the earlier comments about not writing off Liam Palmer after one game. He deserves another chance. For people to just write off a player like that is stupid.

Kilmarnock fans, along with his usual left back position, can Greg Taylor play as a left midfielder or as a central midfielder ?

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I would like to have seen David Turnbull and Lewis Ferguson brought along, even just to train but otherwise it's not bad. 

Good to see Liam Kelly has kept his place in the squad. 

I'll second the earlier comments about not writing off Liam Palmer after one game. He deserves another chance. For people to just write off a player like that is stupid.

Kilmarnock fans, along with his usual left back position, can Greg Taylor play as a left midfielder or as a central midfielder ?

He's played 99% of his games for us at left back but has played midfield too (but not under Clarke I don't think).

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Being a consistent performer in the country’s second best team, including good performances in Europe, doesn’t merit a call up? 

Possibly, depending on other players, but it does warrant consideration. 

We’ll see what Clarke thinks shortly. It’s really only his opinion that matters I suppose. 

No. Not ahead of our other midfield options, who are better and have performed better over the course of the season, no. Which is what I said. Glad Clarke agrees

43 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Off top of my head, certainly had 2 with McCoist and Durrant in late 90's (maybe a 3rd one around same time?)....apart from that, must be talking back to the 50's/60's

Although Killie won the league in 65, I would guess that very few if any of that league winning team got called up for Scotland on the back of it? Back then, playing consistently for the club that WON the league (never mind 2nd;)) wasn't good enough to get a game for Scotland. No subs back then so no need for a squad.

42 minutes ago, wanderer said:

McLaren was long after McCosit and Durrant had stopped been called up, but think he was called up around same time as Holt around 2000-ish.... do not recall Marshall ever being called up while at Killie (I know Geddes was called up by Brown once) and do not remember him being in (m)any squads post Euro 92.

McClaren played v Poland (1-1) in 2001. Holt made his debut v Latvia (1-0) in 2000.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Is it just me or is this more or less a carbon copy of most of McLeish's squads? With the exception of 3 of the 4 Killie inclusions (expected).

That said, I do believe we have a nucleus of talent that can make us a good side. Hopefully under new management they can somehow unlock it. The players looked lost and confused most of the time on the pitch under Eck.

Just now, Barney Rubble said:

McClaren played v Poland (1-1) in 2001. Holt made his debut v France (0-5) in 2002.

Thought Holt came on v Latvia in 2000? Was sure he set up McCann's goal in last seconds

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Although Killie won the league in 65, I would guess that very few if any of that league winning team got called up for Scotland on the back of it? Back then, playing consistently for the club that WON the league (never mind 2nd;)) wasn't good enough to get a game for Scotland. No subs back then so no need for a squad.

Bobby Ferguson did at the time and Tommy McClean did (although his first cap was three or four years later).

9 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

No. Not ahead of our other midfield options, who are better and have performed better over the course of the season, no. Which is what I said. Glad Clarke agrees

I would have had him in the squad at least as cover for right back. Palmer worries me. 

Can’t say I’m surprised he hasn’t been called up though. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I would have had him in the squad at least as cover for right back. Palmer worries me. 

Can’t say I’m surprised he hasn’t been called up though. 

Right back is a problem position but not sure if Ryan Jack is the long term solution although in fairness he did play well against the Netherlands in a friendly there. He has actually played better in that one appearance at right back for Scotland than Palmer and O'Donnell ever have. As a right back I would consider him but only on the basis the options we have there are very limited. As a midfielder though it is still a no as we have far better options. 

Not very often that a player (wrongly) deemed not good enough for the Accies gets a full Scotland call up ....

This squad is mixture of love and hate for me.

I love that Marshall (our best, non-retired goalie, IMO) and Cairney are back. I'd have loved it even more if Snodgrass had been included too, but if there are extenuating circumstances for his omission, then fair enough. Pleased to see Brophy in there as well.

But then the hates - Mulgrew (past it), Shinnie (never had it), Morgan, McNulty (not good enough); no David Turnbull in spite of an excellent season for Motherwell; Oliver Burke called up despite losing his place at Celtic and the guy who replaces him, Johnston, omitted.

No place for Phillips either, and the rumours of Steven Fletcher chucking it seem really odd, considering he was recalled for the Albania and Israel games and played well in both. McBurnie being injured is unfortunate (he's on form at the moment) but we look really thin up front just now.

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

:D

For the benefit of our younger brethren, all six of Tommy's caps came whilst at Kilmarnock.

So, they stopped picking him when he signed for Rangers? That's no how it's supposed to work.:shocked:

Not bad squad in fairness, very similar to McLeishs but not many other options out there. Good to see Marshall and Cairney back in both have played at a high level and have good experience. Cairney is a talented player and hopefully Clarke can get a bit more out of him, likewise with the rest of the squad, than McLeish did. I thought Cooper would be in it but he may be one of the 3 who had prior plans and didn't expect to be in the squad. Still struggling up front, time to forget Fletcher I think. Burke has went right off the boil after a good start at Celtic not sure he deserves a place, also Morgan is a strange one. I follow Sunderland and his performances haven't merited a call up in my opinion. Mikey Johnston actually looks a better prospect and has done more than Morgan recently in the last couple of games. All in all though not bad and just hope Clarke can work some magic! 

4 minutes ago, scotlad said:

No place for Phillips either, and the rumours of Steven Fletcher chucking it seem really odd, considering he was recalled for the Albania and Israel games and played well in both. McBurnie being injured is unfortunate (he's on form at the moment) but we look really thin up front just now.

Can only assume Phillips is injured or is due to have surgery on the injury that hampered him in 2nd half of last season (with one of Clarkes new coaching staff members also the WBA assistant manager, imagine there is a answer for that one).... Fletcher is a odd one (to be fair on him, I suspect the whole fiasco of him being injured was poor communication with Sheffield Wednesday, as they were pretty fast to follow it up by saying he would play, but get treatment over the international window) but he does seem to be one of these guys he gets surgery every summer.

Think its a case of Clarke being really unlucky with injuries, but also only being through the door a week ago, and players who he did want, made other plans because they have hardly been involved with the team over the ;ast year or so.

48 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Came 2nd 4 years out of 5 running up to winning that title too.  

And yes, you are correct!

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

And also Jack could have covered right back. This seems like a McLeish squad Very disappointed but I trust Clarke.

To be fair, McLeish actually picked squads that didn't cause too many complaints on here. It's how he failed to make them work on match day that was the problem. 

It would have been exciting to see him gamble on the likes of Turnbull or Harper, but I'm not too surprised by this squad assuming McBurnie is injured.