Clake's first sqaud - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clake's first sqaud

jamboman

7 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Whats your plans for before the game next week?

Heading through early into city centre then we (me and the wee man) are going to the SSC pre-match event at Hampden. You?

24 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Im working on the basis that Fletcher has chucked it. Clarke, when talking about available strikers, didn't say he was unavailable through injury.

When he was interviewed by Si Ferry on the Open Goal podcast, I didn't get the impression that he was desperate to be involved anyway.

Heard that interview too and it sounded to me like Fletcher was doing all he could to avoid saying outright that he didn't want to be picked but it was pretty clear that he wasn't keen. Pity as I think he's our best option until or if Griffiths is back.

Feels like a big squad to take a look at a few people.

4 keepers is obviously a "this shirt is up for grabs"
O'Donnell and Palmer are the only real options for RB with Paterson injured.
Robertson, Taylor are the only real options with Tierney and Douglas out.
Bates is injured, so the centerbacks aren't crazy. Devlin played against Celtic earlier this month, so he's fit if not sharp.
Center mids look very sensible, not sure we need 7, but wanting to take a look at an extra guy is fine.
With the wide men, the only surprise is that it's Morgan and not Johnston, but ok.
Strikers is the problem to me.

Burke's off form.
McNulty scored 1 goal since mid-march (8 games) and looked poor against the mighty San Marino.
Brophy's scored 3 goal since xmas.

By contrast Fletch has scored 8 since the new year. So his absence is odd.
Harper hasn't scored enough imo, so fair enough.
But, Rhodes hasn't had a bad year with 9 goals, despite being largely benched due to Pukki being unplayable all year.

So there were other, imo better, options that we should have taken. Feels like we're going to really struggle to score.

Guest ElChris04

Can’t say I’m that impressed with the team. was hoping to see Mikey Johnstone, David Turnbull, Liam Cooper, Liam Lindsay and hoped Snodgrass would be back. But I have full faith in Clarke. Roll on Cyprus! 

3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

When was the last time Killie had four players in the squad?  I'm not sure that's happened in my lifetime.

Off top of my head, certainly had 2 with McCoist and Durrant in late 90's (maybe a 3rd one around same time?)....apart from that, must be talking back to the 50's/60's

Just now, Third Lanark said:

I'd like to know what these 'prior commitments' mentioned by SC were: if Steven Fletcher really has retired then i would accept it but the SFA should tell us. The Clarke era can get off to a good start by showing some transparency.

I suppose with Clarke being announced after the season finished, a lot of players would’ve already been falling about Ocean Beach by the time Clarke got a chance to speak to them....

Thought Turnbull might’ve been in squad, and Richard Tait is one of the most under rated players in the league in my opinion and would be an option at RB given the lack of alternatives.

11 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I'd like to know what these 'prior commitments' mentioned by SC were: if Steven Fletcher really has retired then i would accept it but the SFA should tell us. The Clarke era can get off to a good start by showing some transparency.

Fleck is getting married.

Wish folk would stop going on about Fletcher, if he was wanting called up. He'd be in the squad.

Anther Scottish waster from the Hibs conveyor belt of wasters that could have done so much more with their career.

Riordan, O'Connor, Cummings, Griffiths, the list is frightening.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

10 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Off top of my head, certainly had 2 with McCoist and Durrant in late 90's (maybe a 3rd one around same time?)....apart from that, must be talking back to the 50's/60's

Think McLaren got capped at the same time, as did Gary Holt. I'm sure Marshall got a call up too, as did McGowne I think (but never capped)

The most Killie players capped in a single match were James Mitchell, William Agnew and Bobby Templeton vs Ireland in Dublin 1908.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

17 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

When was the last time Killie had four players in the squad?  I'm not sure that's happened in my lifetime.

Must be a record I think. There were 3 Killie players in the team v Ireland in 1908 apparently.

Edit...SH is obviously reading Killie Kickback faster than me...

Edited by Toepoke

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...he's come into the job late so it's not been an ideal preparation for an important double header.

I've no problem with the Killie players - they've had a great season and he knows what he is getting with them.  Pleased to see Cairney back in the squad.

McBurnie and Fletcher seem like the biggest surprises to have been left out.  I'd have included Turnbull, probably instead of Morgan.

I think Snodgrass, Ritchie and Fletcher might have played their last matches for Scotland.  I guess Fleck has been left out due to his wedding this week.

CF looks the weakest position.  Griffiths can't come back quickly enough.

Edited by PASTA Mick

Clarke has confirmed McBurnie has a rib injury.

He also said 3 players who've been out of the squads couldn't come back in for these games because of prior commitments, one of which was Fleck's wedding which he'd booked when he wasn't in consideration.

Glad to hear the number 1 shirt is up for grabs, I just don't feel confident in Bain.

Also feel that even if they don't end up playing, it's good to have Marshall and Mulgrew involved in what's a fairly inexperienced squad.

Nice to see Palmer get a clean slate too, the entire defence was out of sorts that day and his performances at club level deserve a 2nd chance.

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...he's come into the job late so it's not been an ideal preparation for an important double header.

I've no problem with the Killie players - they've had a great season and he knows what he is getting with them.  Pleased to see Cairney back in the squad.

McBurnie and Fletcher seem like the biggest surprises to have been left out.  I'd have included Turnbull, probably instead of Morgan.

I think Snodgrass, Ritchie and Fletcher might have played their last matches for Scotland.  I guess Fleck has been left out due to his wedding this week.

CF looks the weakest position.  Griffiths can't come back quickly enough.

McBurnie is injured.

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Think McLaren got capped at the same time, as did Gary Holt. I'm sure Marshall got a call up too, as did McGowne I think (but never capped)

The most Killie players capped in a single match were James Mitchell, William Agnew and Bobby Templeton vs Ireland in Dublin 1908.

McLaren was long after McCosit and Durrant had stopped been called up, but think he was called up around same time as Holt around 2000-ish.... do not recall Marshall ever being called up while at Killie (I know Geddes was called up by Brown once) and do not remember him being in (m)any squads post Euro 92.

25 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Fleck is getting married.

Wish folk would stop going on about Fletcher, if he was wanting called up. He'd be in the squad.

Anther Scottish waster from the Hibs conveyor belt of wasters that could have done so much more with their career.

Riordan, O'Connor, Cummings, Griffiths, the list is frightening.

Fletcher is a strange one though. He was happy enough to be selected for the Nations League games and I think he was genuinely injured for the games in March. 

What has happened between November and now?

It’s no great loss really as he’s never really delivered for Scotland but I was expecting to see him in this squad. 

2 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Also pleasing that the rumours of Cooper and Jack being called up were wrong.  

I'm assuming Cooper is one of the ones with prior commitments as Clarke said 90% of his discussions with players were positive and he mentioned him by name.

Maybe Fletcher was in the 10%?

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Fletcher is a strange one though. He was happy enough to be selected for the Nations League games and I think he was genuinely injured for the games in March

What has happened between November and now?

It’s no great loss really as he’s never really delivered for Scotland but I was expecting to see him in this squad. 

He wasn't injured.  He played between the squad announcement and the games.  He scored too IIRC.