Next PM - Politics - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next PM

Hertsscot

That's a bit like asking which version of bubonic plague you prefer to get. They might not all do for you immediately, but I don't see that any of them are exactly life-enhancing.

What will be interesting will be if they go for brutal (probably Boris Johnson although other scumbags are available) or 'sod Brexit, let's just try & win an election' by putting someone, maybe currently a backbencher, who is less tarred with the current shambles & easier to like.

Least damaging is difficult to work out. The main candidates all look awful.

Any of the outsiders could be damaging too due to their lack of experience. And they would probably just be a puppet for the main candidates anyway. 

They probably thought May was a good option at the time as she was a remainer and look how that turned out.

Boris will get it IMO. Whether he is less catastrophically damaging than the other  remains to be seen.

Like Huddersfield says , its like being asked to choose the least rancid apple at the bottom of the barrel. 

I hope its Boris, and I hope he fucks everything up even more than May did.

Going through the list, the only competent candidate is Rory Stewart IMO, and I cant stand his posh accented pish. 

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

Least damaging is difficult to work out. The main candidates all look awful.

Any of the outsiders could be damaging too due to their lack of experience. And they would probably just be a puppet for the main candidates anyway. 

They probably thought May was a good option at the time as she was a remainer and look how that turned out.

Boris will get it IMO. Whether he is less catastrophically damaging than the other  remains to be seen.

Like Huddersfield says , its like being asked to choose the least rancid apple at the bottom of the barrel. 

Boris should be nowhere near leading this country, he was one of the main Brexiteers and he went into hiding, no way that bumbling fruit cake should be given the role.  

26 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Boris should be nowhere near leading this country, he was one of the main Brexiteers and he went into hiding, no way that bumbling fruit cake should be given the role.  

No he shouldn't, but when has common sense prevailed in this fiasco ?   

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I know he hasn't thrown his hat into the ring yet but Gove did something pretty similar.  Two naughty school boys causing chaos and then running away to let others clear up the colossal mess they made.

On 5/25/2019 at 7:20 AM, Hertsscot said:

Okay we've had four wannabes already and probably more to follow. Who would be least catastrophically damaging for the UK?

Depends on what you want the future of the UK to be. Boris would risk messing up the country. He may be the most cavalier about the union. You could imagine if things got difficult, him saying sod this, Scotland can sod off. I mean this is the guy who said f--- business. He could literally tell Scotland to f--- off and the Scots Tories would still be clinging to their precious precious union. Embarrassing.

Gove would appear to be the opposite, the most dangerous for Scottish self-determination. He cares about the union and Scotland's place in it (and Northern Ireland too). And he has a zeal about him. He's the kind of guy who you could imagine him meddling with the devolution settlement, scrapping the Barnett formula, or other wheezes - anything at all - regionalism, federalism, communism - anything to put Scotland firmly in its place, in the Union.  Even so that could backfire.

32 minutes ago, exile said:

Depends on what you want the future of the UK to be. Boris would risk messing up the country. He may be the most cavalier about the union. You could imagine if things got difficult, him saying sod this, Scotland can sod off. I mean this is the guy who said f--- business. He could literally tell Scotland to f--- off and the Scots Tories would still be clinging to their precious precious union. Embarrassing.

Gove would appear to be the opposite, the most dangerous for Scottish self-determination. He cares about the union and Scotland's place in it (and Northern Ireland too). And he has a zeal about him. He's the kind of guy who you could imagine him meddling with the devolution settlement, scrapping the Barnett formula, or other wheezes - anything at all - regionalism, federalism, communism - anything to put Scotland firmly in its place, in the Union.  Even so that could backfire.

I agree with your comments on Gove and the union.  He has given himself the air of an intellectual and that he is a safer pair of hands than Boris and that might play well with some of the more sane Tories.  The fact that he is a Scot will go down well with Scots Tories but he's not so obviously Scottish that it would be a disadvantage down south.  He also gives the impression that he listens more than he used to, I use the word 'impression' deliberately.

Gove is the absolute worst choice. Rupert Murdoch's man 100% and a virulent neocon, screaming at fellow MP's when they voted down the Syrian war I think it was. Does not give a fuck about anything other than himself. Sold out Boris in a heartbeat when he thought he was on his way. I am convinced he will be maneuvered into the job because he is a Tory Tony Blair II without the charm or looks but he will eagerly go along with every mad John Bolton plan, eagerly. The comment about him being a Himmler nephew lookalike is very funny, been bothering me for years who it was he resembled. Dangerous choice. 

For the sake of Scottish independence I'm praying that Boris the Buffoon wins it. 

He's an absolute twat and incompetent beyond belief but his Old Etonian style will swing virtually every fence sitter in our direction. 

I would feel sorry for every non-Tory left in England but they can always vote the arsehole out. 

Noticed that English Tories are unusually referring to themselves as being members if the Conservative and Unionist party rather than just the Conservative party

May did it on Friday and Gove did it this morning

5 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Noticed that English Tories are unusually referring to themselves as being members if the Conservative and Unionist party rather than just the Conservative party

May did it on Friday and Gove did it this morning

They started doing that when they became dependent on the DUP. 

46 minutes ago, aaid said:

They started doing that when they became dependent on the DUP. 

I know you disagree when i say most things have a relevance to keeping Scotland tied to the Union however ... folk need to start listening as to what is in the future

edit - has the board changed with the posting of videos ?

Used to be simply copying video address then pasting

What he said, about Scotland, Wales and NI, and indeed North of England, shows that the government believes they represent the South of England, there is a distinct us and them. If Rory Stewart thinks he is the man who can rejoin Scotland with England, then boy is he wrong, and I say that as someone who thinks he is the best candidate.

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The Unionist part of the Conservative party name does primarily refer to Northern Ireland. 

Called just the "Unionist Party" in Scotland to 1965, you're right they were referring to Ireland, but followed (took the whip of) their Westminster Conservative masters.

On 5/26/2019 at 10:02 AM, Hertsscot said:

I agree with your comments on Gove and the union.  He has given himself the air of an intellectual and that he is a safer pair of hands than Boris and that might play well with some of the more sane Tories.  The fact that he is a Scot will go down well with Scots Tories but he's not so obviously Scottish that it would be a disadvantage down south.  He also gives the impression that he listens more than he used to, I use the word 'impression' deliberately.

Does anyone remember MG used to be a cultural pundit on newsnight review or am I dreaming 😵

Sunday herald reminded us Bojo actually on record attacking Barnett

2 hours ago, exile said:

Does anyone remember MG used to be a cultural pundit on newsnight review or am I dreaming 😵

Aye, the first i saw of him was as a journalist for one of the broadsheets on a 'press review' type show on BBC news 24. Must be going back 15 years. He has a face/manner you tend not to forget (even though you wish you could!).