Mikey Johnstone Call Up? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mikey Johnstone Call Up?

Guest ElChris04

Would you Call Up Mikey Johnstone For Cyprus/Belgium?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One:

• Aye, Call Him Up
    • Naw, Too Early

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/30/2019 at 10:27 AM

21 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

So if we only had three good wingers you’d be happy with Clarke calling up some Clyde winger just because we needed a fourth? We should only be picking international class players. Not that I’m saying Johnston isn’t good enough, he just hasn’t proven it yet.

Who says we’ll play with two wingers anyway? Clarke could play with wing backs or two up front for all any of us know. 

We don't have back up players who are international class. We have two very good wingers in Fraser and Forrest and then there is not much else except Ritchie and Matt Phillips and one of those doesn't want called up. We don't have an abundance of international class wingers that we can call on so why not bring a young talent like Johnston.

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

As far as I'm aware, the U21s have no games until September ?

Michael Johnstone, along with Lewis Ferguson and David Turnbull should be in the next squad.

Classy. 

Just for consistency, would you be ok with an Irish fan referring to us as being "the whores that they are" or "they fuckers over there" ?

Absolutely.

FFS, O'Neill. How in any way are they ''whores?'' considering we do the same by trying to get English players to play for us. ''Them fuckers over there'' as well, is stinking language.

We have some Irish posters on here, O'Neill including the very friendly and helpful Newry Rep.

15 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

We don't have back up players who are international class. We have two very good wingers in Fraser and Forrest and then there is not much else except Ritchie and Matt Phillips and one of those doesn't want called up. We don't have an abundance of international class wingers that we can call on so why not bring a young talent like Johnston.

He’s not a regular first team player. That’s why I wouldn’t select him. 

In my day players had to prove themselves at their club before being selected to pull on the dark blue jersey. If things have changed and I’m old fashioned then so be it. Let’s start handing out caps like smarties like the Berti Vogts days. 

Guest ElChris04
12 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Absolutely.

FFS, O'Neill. How in any way are they ''whores?'' considering we do the same by trying to get English players to play for us. ''Them fuckers over there'' as well, is stinking language.

We have some Irish posters on here, O'Neill including the very friendly and helpful Newry Rep.

The irony is aswell me being the thread creator, I’ve got Irish roots.. 😂 , my grandpa was Irish and my dad is half Irish, but Scotland is my country and where I was born so that’s what I care for, I found the comment pretty poor but didn’t want to make a big fuss. If he feels like that with the McGeedy and McCarthy Situation then ahh well. 

On another note though, if I was in Mikey’s shoes, like myself who has a Irish Grandpa & Da, hopefully he feels the same as me and is committed to his Country or brith.

Guest ElChris04
19 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s not a regular first team player. That’s why I wouldn’t select him. 

In my day players had to prove themselves at their club before being selected to pull on the dark blue jersey. If things have changed and I’m old fashioned then so be it. Let’s start handing out caps like smarties like the Berti Vogts days. 

Ethan Ampadu, Daniel James, Harry Wilson where not regulars when they where called up to Wales. Ampadu is still a Chelsea bench/reserve player. Daniel was a Swansea bench player. Wilson just came off a loan form hull. 

Now look where 2/3 of them they are. 

One set to move to Man Utd for 15 million and the other having a standout season at derby and is now getting linked with top premier league clubs.

Giggs got them involved early for that very reason, so when they get better they have already international experience. 

Mikey Johnstone shouldn’t be any different, I hope Clarke sees that and shares what a lot of us think who said he’s ready for a call up. Younger players should be in the mix, especially our best prospects who are showing there class with the chances there given. 

Edited by ElChris04

Rather he was called up than someone like Ritchie or Phillips. 

Not seen him play, how good is he? 20 odd games for Celtic is enough to get a cap these days if you’re good enough. 

What we shouldn’t be doing is calling him up in case Ireland swoop in. It’s reasonable to guess that they’ve already made contact with him. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Maybe they have and he’s told them to bolt?

If they have approached them and he said yes then they’d have called him up already. 

I’m sure the boy isn’t stupid. He’ll know that if he does well consistently for Celtic he’ll get called into the Scotland squad. 

It might be my memory playing tricks but I've an idea they already have and he did, in which case people are possibly panicking over nothing!

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

Ethan Ampadu, Daniel James, Harry Wilson where not regulars when they where called up to Wales. Ampadu is still a Chelsea bench/reserve player. Daniel was a Swansea bench player. Wilson just came off a loan form hull. 

Now look where 2/3 of them they are. 

One set to move to Man Utd for 15 million and the other having a standout season at derby and is now getting linked with top premier league clubs.

Giggs got them involved early for that very reason, so when they get better they have already international experience. 

Mikey Johnstone shouldn’t be any different, I hope Clarke sees that and shares what a lot of us think who said he’s ready for a call up. Younger players should be in the mix, especially our best prospects who are showing there class with the chances there given. 

I really don’t care what Wales do. 

17 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'd say no. He still has a long way to go before he should be considered.

It's not like people are angling for the kid to start, I do believe two or three of the younger players should be called up to experience what its like, it could help.their development.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

It's not like people are angling for the kid to start, I do believe two or three of the younger players should be called up to experience what its like, it could help.their development.

I think Gilmour and Dembele should be invited to train with the squad for the next 2 games. 

We're desperately short of options up front so he should be called up.

Fletcher - probably the best we have available, if indeed he is.

McBurnie - don't see a player in there but would love to be proved wrong.

McNulty - fkin hell

Burke - see McNulty

I'm not seeing the name Eamonn Brophy being quoted anywhere.  He definitely deserves a chance.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think Gilmour and Dembele should be invited to train with the squad for the next 2 games. 

I thought Dembele was going with England?

Gilmour, absolutely

Guest ElChris04
14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I really don’t care what Wales do. 

Considering they started there campaign a lot better then us with Daniel James and Harry Wilson at the heart of it i would see that’s the example we should be taking, im sure Steve Clarke has his own ideas, but that one is for me the smartest we could make. Get the prospects in early to have experience and as they get better, they already have they international experience.

Guest ElChris04
52 minutes ago, daviebee said:

We're desperately short of options up front so he should be called up.

Fletcher - probably the best we have available, if indeed he is.

McBurnie - don't see a player in there but would love to be proved wrong.

McNulty - fkin hell

Burke - see McNulty

I'm not seeing the name Eamonn Brophy being quoted anywhere.  He definitely deserves a chance.

Was literally talking to a guy on here a few days ago about Brophy being worthy of a  Scotland Call Up, another that would be worth looking at is jack harper. Both could be our striking partnership going forward for years to come. 

Edited by ElChris04

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

It could also make them feel that they’ve made it when they haven’t and stifle their development. 

The unders teams are for development. 

16 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think there’s a good chance he’ll be in the squad. He has the potential to be better than Forrest and Fraser, in as much as he has more ability on the ball than either of them. He’s got quite a slight frame at the moment but that will change.

Has he played against Kilmarnock this season? Did he play well?

I think the only way he’ll get into this squad  is if the answer to both of these questions is yes. 

Unless he plays in the cup final today of course. A good showing this afternoon and he might catch Clarke’s eye.

Clarke is likely to pick established, first team players for his first squad I think. 

31 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It could also make them feel that they’ve made it when they haven’t and stifle their development. 

The unders teams are for development. 

The key words being could, if managed correctly and kept on the ground theres no reason for youngsters to get carried away. Its all about managing their expectations. 

17 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The key words being could, if managed correctly and kept on the ground theres no reason for youngsters to get carried away. Its all about managing their expectations. 

You’re right. I could win the lottery tonight as well. 

It’s not really Clarke’s job to develop Johnston’s career though. It’s Celtic’s job to do that. Clarke’s job is to get us to Euro 2020.

If he’s good enough to be called up then he’ll make it eventually. It’s up to him to take his chance at Celtic and show Clarke how good he is and that he deserves a place in the squad. He hasn’t done that yet in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

You’re right. I could win the lottery tonight as well. 

It’s not really Clarke’s job to develop Johnston’s career though. It’s Celtic’s job to do that. Clarke’s job is to get us to Euro 2020.

If he’s good enough to be called up then he’ll make it eventually. It’s up to him to take his chance at Celtic and show Clarke how good he is and that he deserves a place in the squad. He hasn’t done that yet in my opinion. 

Thats hardly a fair comparison in bold.

As for the rest, I think I get the gist of what you are saying since you repeated it around 467 times. 😉

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Thats hardly a fair comparison in bold.

As for the rest, I think I get the gist of what you are saying since you repeated it around 467 times. 😉

I find it hilarious, but not surprising, that you question my use of exaggeration and then exaggerate wildly in your next sentence. 

Anyway, it’s irrelevant what we all think. We’ll find out next week whether Johnston is in the squad or not.