Scottish cup final 2019 - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish cup final 2019

36 minutes ago, slasher said:

Spot on. The same shit was levelled at Henrik Larsson for years until he went to Barcelona then Utd and tore it up. 

I dont ever remember anything like that when it came to Larsson. For me anyway, Larsson was one of the few players it was impossible to hate such was his class, its was also a completely different time in Scottish football.

Larsson was a phenomenal talent who often carved teams up, it was impossible not to admire him

Edit - does anyone think brown could go to or could have gone to a team like fergie's man utd or Barcelona? It's hardly a fair comparison.

Brown would have to change his game completely to move to England ot anywhere else.

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

And play for Everton? Win absolutely no honours? Never darken the European Football Door? 

The point is though surely, say after 10 trophy wins does there not come a point where you say OK ive proved myself here, time to move on and prove myself in a better league?  And who do Everton play against at least 8 times a season? Thats right, Englands top 4 champions league representatives

Edited by JECK

52 minutes ago, slasher said:

Spot on. The same shit was levelled at Henrik Larsson for years until he went to Barcelona then Utd and tore it up. 

Aye went on to compete at a higher level after (more than) proving himself in Scotland

3 minutes ago, JECK said:

The point is though surely, say after 10 trophy wins does there not come a point where you say OK ive proved myself here, time to move on and prove myself in a better league?  And who do Everton play against at least 8 times a season? Thats right, Englands top 4 champions league represantives.

Also an FA Cup win for Everton or Newcastle (trophy-less since 1969) would mean a hell of a lot more to the players and fans than yet another SPFL title win secured weeks before the season ends 😴

35 minutes ago, JECK said:

The point is though surely, say after 10 trophy wins does there not come a point where you say OK ive proved myself here, time to move on and prove myself in a better league?  And who do Everton play against at least 8 times a season? Thats right, Englands top 4 champions league representatives

I’m not sure he or any player in Scotland would look to move so they can say oh I’m playing against England’s top 4. You sound like a Sky apologist. Surely winning trophies, having the chance to compete against Barcelona, Bayern etc is more attractive than that? I know the salary would tempt me however bobbing about with a club like Newcastle/Everton/West Ham that win fuck all and are more than ever likely to continue that trend wouldn’t really set my heart racing.

33 minutes ago, macy37 said:

I’m not sure he or any player in Scotland would look to move so they can say oh I’m playing against England’s top 4. You sound like a Sky apologist. Surely winning trophies, having the chance to compete against Barcelona, Bayern etc is more attractive than that? I know the salary would tempt me however bobbing about with a club like Newcastle/Everton/West Ham that win fuck all and are more than ever likely to continue that trend wouldn’t really set my heart racing.

Ha I think re your first sentence the  exact opposite is true. You trying to tell me players in Scotland dont want to play against Man City, go to Anfield, Old Trafford, play against guys like Hazard at Stamford bridge or play at spurs new stadium and maybe one day try and sign for one of these clubs like Robertson did? Try and reach the top of your profession and all that?  Not just England of course, Spain/Germany/Italy where the standard overall is definitely higher. The time is now for guys like Forrest, Tierney and Mcgregor.

8 hours ago, JECK said:

Ha I think re your first sentence the  exact opposite is true. You trying to tell me players in Scotland dont want to play against Man City, go to Anfield, Old Trafford, play against guys like Hazard at Stamford bridge or play at spurs new stadium and maybe one day try and sign for one of these clubs like Robertson did? Try and reach the top of your profession and all that?  Not just England of course, Spain/Germany/Italy where the standard overall is definitely higher. The time is now for guys like Forrest, Tierney and Mcgregor.

Robertson was at Hull, Hull fucking City. 

11 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Also an FA Cup win for Everton or Newcastle (trophy-less since 1969) would mean a hell of a lot more to the players and fans than yet another SPFL title win secured weeks before the season ends 😴

I would disagree on both parts.

For the fans, its obvious that your own team winning something means more to you so Celtic's treble will mean more to their fans than a League Cup win would mean to Newcastle fans. Likewise Tranmere's promotion play off win and Ross County's Championship win mean more to their fans than any Celtic or potential Newcastle/Everton trophy.

As for players, there is no guarantee again. You think a win in a League Cup in England, which the vast majority of top two league teams treat with disdain until the semi's/final would mean more than going a whole domestic season unbeaten or winning 3 trebles in a row? Which of those would be regarded as the better achievement?

2 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I would disagree on both parts.

For the fans, its obvious that your own team winning something means more to you so Celtic's treble will mean more to their fans than a League Cup win would mean to Newcastle fans. Likewise Tranmere's promotion play off win and Ross County's Championship win mean more to their fans than any Celtic or potential Newcastle/Everton trophy.

As for players, there is no guarantee again. You think a win in a League Cup in England, which the vast majority of top two league teams treat with disdain until the semi's/final would mean more than going a whole domestic season unbeaten or winning 3 trebles in a row? Which of those would be regarded as the better achievement?

Head down to Newcastle if they ever win one of the two domestic trophies on offer. You’ll see what I mean 👍🏼

33 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

He proved himself there and he’s playing his 2nd European cup final this weekend.

Beat me to it. Very few players will go from Scotland to anywhere in the top half of the Premiership directly. They'll all need to prove themselves at an also ran like Hull and Southampton. 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Head down to Newcastle if they ever win one of the two domestic trophies on offer. You’ll see what I mean 👍🏼

You have missed my point. It means a lot to Newcastle fans. And them only. And I have followed Newcastle for 30+ years so I am aware how much it would mean to Newcastle fans to win a trophy. 

7 hours ago, JECK said:

What's the issue with that like?

I don't think Macy has realised that Andy Robertson is the perfect example here. He was at Queens Park for a couple of seasons, Dundee United for a couple of seasons, Hull for 3 and now he's quoted as one of the best left backs on the planet in his 2nd CL Final. 

I'm sure he's distraught at not signing for Celtic and winning a League Cup or 2.