Steve Clarke assistants - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke assistants

jaggy thistle

12 hours ago, wanderer said:

Sun were reporting that his team will be Dyer, former Aston Villa player Kevin Keen (worked with Clarke at West Ham) and former Ireland defender Steven Reid.

Billy Thomson, or Stevie Woods back in as goalkeeping coach.

Sounds like barely a step up from the handicaps we just pumped off 

8 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I'm not doubting Clarkes' judgement but this reads like a RoI team. I would like a Darren Fletch type to give him a chance to get trained up for eventual coaching. When Clarke eventually goes he will take that backroom with him leaving us back at square one.

Fletcher is up for a big job behind the scenes at Man United in a director of football capacity (talk about this post has started to gather some pace in last few days) so really unlikely that he would be able to combine the two (though sure he would seriously consider it if asked, but choice might not be his to make).

Truth be told though, bar last 20 months, Clarke has not been in and around Scottish football for best part of close to 30 years.... so he is not going to be that clued up on the Scottish coaching scene on who would make a good assistant for him, so is going with guys he knows and what they can offer.

Being honest I am prepared to go with his judgement on this one.

16 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I'm not doubting Clarkes' judgement but this reads like a RoI team. I would like a Darren Fletch type to give him a chance to get trained up for eventual coaching. When Clarke eventually goes he will take that backroom with him leaving us back at square one.

ROI qualify for stuff so suits me.

24 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Truth be told though, bar last 20 months, Clarke has not been in and around Scottish football for best part of close to 30 years.... so he is not going to be that clued up on the Scottish coaching scene on who would make a good assistant for him, so is going with guys he knows and what they can offer.

Being honest I am prepared to go with his judgement on this one.

Don't really see why he needs to be clued up on Scottish football. He'll know all the Scottish based players very well from past two years.

As for coaches, they don't need to be Scottish. Not exactly a plethora of Scottish based coaches to choose from anyway.

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Don't really see why he needs to be clued up on Scottish football. He'll know all the Scottish based players very well from past two years.

As for coaches, they don't need to be Scottish. Not exactly a plethora of Scottish based coaches to choose from anyway.

That is not what I said.... said he is not going to be clued up on the Scottish coaching SCENE.... he will only really know those he has worked around at Kilmarnock, and maybe a few guys he has met on match day, but he will have no real first hand experience of picking coaches from what is available in Scottish football (look at George Burley, his team was basically his old team mate from Ipswich playing days... and his captain from his 6 month spell at Hearts... still remember being at the WESTA Burns supper and getting chatting to him and his question was "so who are the good Scottish youngsters these days?")

SFA could very easily have said "this is Scot Gemmill, look after him for the next couple of years and train him up for taking over from you afterwards....", but looks like they are letting him pick his own team (with it encouraging that Dyer wants to remain in Scottish football).

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

SFA could very easily have said "this is Scot Gemmill, look after him for the next couple of years and train him up for taking over from you afterwards....", but looks like they are letting him pick his own team (with it encouraging that Dyer wants to remain in Scottish football).

Dyer was always staying in Scottish football, he's staying at Killie.

On 5/24/2019 at 11:30 AM, wanderer said:

That is not what I said.... said he is not going to be clued up on the Scottish coaching SCENE.... he will only really know those he has worked around at Kilmarnock, and maybe a few guys he has met on match day, but he will have no real first hand experience of picking coaches from what is available in Scottish football (look at George Burley, his team was basically his old team mate from Ipswich playing days... and his captain from his 6 month spell at Hearts... still remember being at the WESTA Burns supper and getting chatting to him and his question was "so who are the good Scottish youngsters these days?")

I can fully believe that numpty would come out with something like that.  🙄

I see the logic for Clarke taking on an assistant with a view to him taking over when he leaves (that's what happened with Craig Brown and things turned out okay there) but I'd rather he just got the best quality guys he can find to work with the squad we've got.

I’m delighted with dyer as assistant. The pair obviously work well together and football aside it’s excellent to have a black assistant manager of Scotland as there’s a  lack of black managers in British and European football as a whole.

1 hour ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

I’m delighted with dyer as assistant. The pair obviously work well together and football aside it’s excellent to have a black assistant manager of Scotland as there’s a  lack of black managers in British and European football as a whole.

The usual idiots will be along to accuse you of being "a snowflake" in a minute. 

Does anyone know if Kevin Keen, Steven Reid and either Stevie Woods or Billy Thomson have signed up yet ?

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The usual idiots will be along to accuse you of being "a snowflake" in a minute. 

Does anyone know if Kevin Keen, Steven Reid and either Stevie Woods or Billy Thomson have signed up yet ?

I’m not sure you know what people mean when they call someone a snowflake.  

1 hour ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

I don’t really know anything about Dyer but it’s important that Clarke trusts his assistants so I think it’s a good appointment. 

The Killie fans on here also reckon he’s an excellent coach so I’m happy with him. 

As for him being black, I don’t think the SFA would have considered that but diversity is never a bad thing. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure you know what people mean when they call someone a snowflake.  

It's what your average gammon head stuck in the seventies calls anyone whom they perceive to be a liberal, lefty, PC type out to destroy their caveman world.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

It's what your average gammon head stuck in the seventies calls anyone whom they perceive to be a liberal, lefty, PC type out to destroy their caveman world.

It’s normally used as an insult to describe someone who is far too easily offended  but I guess it could have other meanings. 

• 1 year later...
Guest ElChris04
2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Alex Dyer has apparently quit, and a lot of talk will be replaced by John Carver (ex-Newcastle)

He’ll want to focus on his full time managerial job at Kilmarnock now so I’m not shocked really. 

All the best to the man, he was a class act for the period we had him for Scotland and spoke proudly as being part of the team.