Niki Lauda - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Some guy, some life. Read the last rites. Got back into the car after 2 races.

I read he was pulled out the wreckage by other drivers. You'd imagine there would be stewards but maybe none nearby. 

I have never forgotten the awful "joke" at his expense that did the rounds when i was at school

The one about what travels at 200mph and looks like a pork scratching

Sorry for sharing - but it's something that always stuck with me because i found it horrible

18 hours ago, exile said:

I read he was pulled out the wreckage by other drivers. You'd imagine there would be stewards but maybe none nearby. 

If you see the footage it was James Hunt that did it i believe.

20 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I have never forgotten the awful "joke" at his expense that did the rounds when i was at school

Sorry for sharing - but it's something that always stuck with me because i found it horrible

I agree it is sick, and you'd think we would have moved on in society.

However, today I got sent a repulsive whatsapp - something to do with him being eligible for half-price cremation. 

What is wrong with people!?

20 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Not humour's finest hour but it could almost be a back handed compliment - the fact he was back up to racing speed.  The cremation one, could almost be gallows humour, you could imagine him saying it himself. I read that James Hunt who was a friend said he was better looking after the crash. I guess it's all about context. Anyway... if they were really bad they would be unrepeatable. 

Edited by exile

22 hours ago, exile said:

3 hours ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

If you see the footage it was James Hunt that did it i believe.

Wasn't Hunt, it was Arturo Merzario, Lunger, Guy Edwards, and Harald Ertl (Wiki).  

There had been lots of complaints, including from Lauda, regarding safety at the Nurburgring circuit, some of it to do with it being 14 miles long resulting in the stewarding being very sparse. Don't think they ever ran another GP there.

3 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Wasn't Hunt, it was Arturo Merzario, Lunger, Guy Edwards, and Harald Ertl (Wiki).  

There had been lots of complaints, including from Lauda, regarding safety at the Nurburgring circuit, some of it to do with it being 14 miles long resulting in the stewarding being very sparse. Don't think they ever ran another GP there.

Yes that's what I meant. As many as four drivers being first to the scene. 

On 5/21/2019 at 11:42 PM, Ally Bongo said:

The one that sticks with me was “Did you hear Niki Lauda won the fitba pools? He couldn’t claim the money though as he had a damaged coupon!”

*Actually that may have been a Simon Weston joke 🤔

As told by my old man at the time:-

The hare was so confident of beating the tortoise he volunteered to race blindfolded.  As they lined up at the start the hare asked to feel his opponent's face just to check it wasn't a ringer. Grabbing the tortoise's head in his paws he went...."His skin is rough and leathery..... he has no eyebrows or ears....I'm not racing him.....he's Niki Lauda!"

7 hours ago, McTeeko said:

The one that sticks with me was “Did you hear Niki Lauda won the fitba pools? He couldn’t claim the money though as he had a damaged coupon!”

*Actually that may have been a Simon Weston joke 🤔

My favourite crass joke from back in the day involving a celebrity that was injured, was when ‘celebrity couple’  Blue Peter’s Sarah Greene and Radio1 DJ Mike were injured when pilot Mike Smith crashed his helicopter injuring Sarah Greene’s legs. It led to the shockingly bad ‘ what does Sarah Greenes legs have in common with her fanny ? ...... They both got fucked by Mike Smiths chopper 😳

Might be getting nostalgic here but I’m certain kids were much wittier back then,. 

5 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

My favourite crass joke from back in the day involving a celebrity that was injured, was when ‘celebrity couple’  Blue Peter’s Sarah Greene and Radio1 DJ Mike were injured when pilot Mike Smith crashed his helicopter injuring Sarah Greene’s legs. It led to the shockingly bad ‘ what does Sarah Greenes legs have in common with her fanny ? ...... They both got fucked by Mike Smiths chopper 😳

Might be getting nostalgic here but I’m certain kids were much wittier back then,. 

whats winnie mandela got in common with a pigeon ( from mid 90s....)