Steve Clarke is named new Scotland manager - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke is named new Scotland manager

runningtings

2 hours ago, UpTheSlope said:

Kilmarnock could well have grounds to report the SFA to FIFA as its clear that Steve Clarke has been tapped up

How is that clear?

The SFA asked Kilmarnock for permission to speak to Clarke.Ā 

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The first thing Clarke should do is to phone up Bournemouth and tell them they can't fuckĀ around with him like they did with McLeish !

The first thing he should do is pick a squad of 35 players, now, before half of themĀ fuk off on their holodays.Ā 

Edited by Orraloon

I like Clarke, think he's a good manager and am happy he's got the job. Ā However, I don't think he's a better manager now than he was before he went to Kilmarnock. Ā Had ReganĀ not made an arse of whoring us to Michael O'Neill we could probably have gotten Clarke when Strachan left.Ā 

Think the appointment shows a bit of lack of ambition from the SFA. I would have preferred to have spent a bit of money on a big name foreign coach with International experience such as Slaven Bilic, Lars Lagerback,Ā Jurgen Klinsmann or Guus Hiddink.

That being said, he is far and away the number 1 Scottish candidate so lets hope he can get in there and get a few of the players who have missed squads recently to commit.

The best news of all is that Scott Gemmill is nowhere near the job. The under 21s are brutal with one tactic. Boot it up the park.

Love the appointment.Ā  He has authority, conducts himself well, teams organised, improves players, challenges teams with greater resources and has experience in handling players far bigger than Scotland has at the moment.

Ditch your musty pipers jackets.Ā  Its all about the Steve Clarke shirt, tie and jumper combo for real fans.

Commiserations to Killie fans though.Ā  He challenged the Old Firm and his record with Gerrard and Rodgers was very good.

2 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

Must be the worst kept secret in football.

My main concern over Clarke is that he may do a McLeish if he has success and a Premiership club comes calling.

Then again if you were to apply that rule in the appointment process you would never choose anyone half decent.

Certainly the peoples choice - then again so was Strachan.

Will be interesting to see how many players are prepared to extend their concluded season now to play for theĀ  new manager.

I'll have no complaints at all if he leaves after leading us to Euro 2020.Ā 

43 minutes ago, @neaver82 said:

Think the appointment shows a bit of lack of ambition from the SFA. I would have preferred to have spent a bit of money on a big name foreign coach with International experience such as Slaven Bilic, Lars Lagerback,Ā Jurgen Klinsmann or Guus Hiddink.

That being said, he is far and away the number 1 Scottish candidate so lets hope he can get in there and get a few of the players who have missed squads recently to commit.

The best news of all is that Scott Gemmill is nowhere near the job. The under 21s are brutal with one tactic. Boot it up the park.

Iā€™m really not sure what the obsession some folk have got with appointing a big name foreigner. Not that I have anything against foreigners but we really donā€™t need some mercenary who will cost Ā£2-3 million a year.Ā 

All we need is a good coach who has a solid understanding of the Scottish game and our players in Scotland and elsewhere who can motivate a team to beat teams that arenā€™t as good as us and to compete with teams of a similar or better level.Ā 

I believe Steve Clarke is an excellent appointment and will certainly improve us. Whether this is enough to get us to Euro 2020 is another story.Ā 

20 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'll have no complaints at all if he leaves after leading us to Euro 2020.Ā 

Agreed. If we get to Euro 2020 and play well at the tournament, offers will come flying in from everywhere. Thatā€™s football.Ā 

I would rather have a good manager for a short period who gets us to a tournament than have another dud in charge for 3-4 yearsĀ who gets us nowhere.Ā 

19 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Iā€™m really not sure what the obsession some folk have got with appointing a big name foreigner. Not that I have anything against foreigners but we really donā€™t need some mercenary who will cost Ā£2-3 million a year.Ā 

All we need is a good coach who has a solid understanding of the Scottish game and our players in Scotland and elsewhere who can motivate a team to beat teams that arenā€™t as good as us and to compete with teams of a similar or better level.Ā 

I believe Steve Clarke is an excellent appointment and will certainly improve us. Whether this is enough to get us to Euro 2020 is another story.Ā 

I don't have an obsession with getting a big name but all the guys I mentioned have proven success at international level. No Scottish candidate can lay claim to that.

Clarke is a reasonable appointment and it could have been a whole lot worse. I'll reserve my excitement for once he picks his first squad.

Heft Killie because a bigger opportunity came along, 3 years is a decent time for him. I dont think he will stay any longer and I hope he lives up to our expectations of him. For me, he fits my criteria - good man manager, recent experience, good tactical awareness and works well with limited resources. I place no pressure on him for the EURO campaign proper but we must be at the tournament. I'd be happy for him to experiment over the next 6 games before settling on tactics, formation and core spine.Ā 

Ā 

If I could have euro 2020 qualification, decent performances and qualifying for world cup playoff I'd be happy.

If I could get EURO 2020 progression to 2nd round, qualification for World Cup AND grooming a successor possibly Darren Fletcher I'd be ecstatic.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by romanticscot

36 minutes ago, @neaver82 said:

I don't have an obsession with getting a big name but all the guys I mentioned have proven success at international level. No Scottish candidate can lay claim to that.

Clarke is a reasonable appointment and it could have been a whole lot worse. I'll reserve my excitement for once he picks his first squad.

Fair point but the guys you mentioned had limited success with players that are better than ours with the exception of Lagerback.Ā 

Hiddinkā€™s last stint as Netherlands manager was a complete disaster and Bilic has made an arse of almost every job heā€™s had since he left the Croatia job.Ā 

Why would you want to see these guys in charge of Scotland?Ā 

As for Lagerback and Klinsmann, I dare say either could do a good job for us but Klinsmann would cost an absolute fortune and would refuse to leave the USA. I would prefer a manager that at least lives in the UK.Ā 

You (and lots of other guys on here) bandy these names about like these guys are queuing up to manage Scotland. They would probably tell the SFA to piss off. I would have been happy with Lagerback but heā€™s in a job at the moment and I doubt heā€™d have left Norway to manage us.

Anyway, Clarke has been appointed and itā€™s time to get behind him and the team. Ā 

7 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

QuietlyĀ optimistic and just hoping he doesnā€™t become a dud within a few games.

Problem is our next 5 games are against Cyprus, Belgium (twice) and Russia (twice).Ā We could easily come out ofĀ those games with 3 points, barring an absolute disaster against Cyprus at Hampden.

I donā€™t think we can really judge how Clarke is doing until we get into our last 4 games.

Hopefully weā€™ll beat Russia at home to keep us in with a sniff of a chance going into those games.

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Problem is our next 5 games are against Cyprus, Belgium (twice) and Russia (twice).Ā We could easily come out ofĀ those games with 3 points, barring an absolute disaster against Cyprus at Hampden.

I donā€™t think we can really judge how Clarke is doing until we get into our last 4 games.

Hopefully weā€™ll beat Russia at home to keep us in with a sniff of a chance going into those games.

I was thinking more in the squad he picks and the starting 11 / subs rather than results, especially against Russia and BelgiumĀ 

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I was thinking more in the squad he picks and the starting 11 / subs rather than results, especially against Russia and BelgiumĀ 

Fair enough. He doesnā€™t have much time to pick his first squad though and will only have aĀ few club games to watch before naming his second squad. Itā€™s a good thing he has a good knowledge of the Scottish Premiership.Ā 

Weā€™re in an unusual position in that our new manager has 3 weeks to prepare for his first game and itā€™s a competitive game. He basically has 8 games to refine his team for the playoffs. If we somehow manage to get back into contention by taking 4 points off Russia then that will be a bonus.

I havenā€™t felt this optimistic since Strachan was appointed and we didnā€™t have a playoff to fall back on then.Ā 

Where is poor old Squirrehumper this eve. Poor bugger must be hiding in a darkened room!!!!!

Fabulous appointment. Took Killie from the bottom of the table to European football. Can empathise with Killie fans as the same happened to ourselves with Jack Ross

Not to mention he was the best right back to have graced the stripes.

Looking forward to the Cyprus already

3 hours ago, Alan said:

Love the appointment.Ā  He has authority, conducts himself well, teams organised, improves players, challenges teams with greater resources and has experience in handling players far bigger than Scotland has at the moment.

Ditch your musty pipers jackets.Ā  Its all about the Steve Clarke shirt, tie and jumper combo for real fans.

Commiserations to Killie fans though.Ā  He challenged the Old Firm and his record with Gerrard and Rodgers was very good.

Ā 'challenged the old firm' bit i dont quite get ; unless you mean beating them, or drawing with them in league fixtures

Excellent news. :)

Clarke was far and away the best realistic candidate for the job and thankfully, unlike last time, the SFA didn't miss and hit the wall.Ā 

I've genuinely been in a great mood since hearing the news this afternoon, sad bassa that I am (well, it is a Monday I suppose).Ā :lol: