Steve Clarke is named new Scotland manager - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke is named new Scotland manager

runningtings

23 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Better not tell him that Neil McCann is interested in the Killie job!

Poor SH would have the biggest meltdown in tamb history if that happened. McCoist also wants the job 🤣🤣🤣

Has boyd thrown his hat in yet? 

I almost feel sorry for Kilmarnock, replacing Clarke will be almost impossible. 

I think he is perfect for the job and have a feeling this is going to prove a good appointment. First time I have felt genuinely (but quietly) optimistic about Scotland going forward for a good while. (cue glorious failure...)

12 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Where is poor old Squirrehumper this eve. Poor bugger must be hiding in a darkened room!!!!!

Fabulous appointment. Took Killie from the bottom of the table to European football. Can empathise with Killie fans as the same happened to ourselves with Jack Ross

Not to mention he was the best right back to have graced the stripes.

Looking forward to the Cyprus already

Too busy celebrating Sunday. 

Looking forward to seeing Taylor and Findlay alongside SOD in the squad. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Poor SH would have the biggest meltdown in tamb history if that happened. McCoist also wants the job 🤣🤣🤣

Has boyd thrown his hat in yet? 

I almost feel sorry for Kilmarnock, replacing Clarke will be almost impossible. 

I would love to manage Killie.

I've as much chance as those three have!

Name I've heard is Paul Clement.

I’ll reserve my praise and adulation for him until he actually guides us to a finals

Theres been more than enough cliches and sound bites in previous manager unveiling in the past to even get remotely excited about this appointment

Having said all that, I wish him the best of luck because by fuck he’s going to need it

42 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

If all the players available are as committed as the fans we will be ok . We don't need some pulling out for no reason or early retirement shite . We need our strongest squad every game 

That is half the battle.

Having a manager that is capable of identifying the best players and inspiring them to wanting to play is half the battle for us.  It's tragic how many good players have made themselves unavailable for us over the last 10+ years.

WGS did seem to have the players on board but was too loyal to some players meaning some good players were being left out when they should have been included. 

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:25 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

That counts for nothing though as we saw with Berti Vogts.

You mean the last guy who took us to a play-off? And he did it with probably the worst group of players we have ever had.

How many Scottish managers have come later and failed miserably.

Lets hope Steve Clarke can be the difference.

Radio Clyde phone in was on on the car last night. Guy came on saying he wasnt much of a Scotland supporter but this appointment has him excited. Said he would happily get tix for him and his friends for the Cyprus game. He sounded genuinely enthusiastic, it was quite infectious. . Its a while since I have heard this general enthusiasm for a new manager. 

I really hope supporters get behind him. I feel there will be a huge expectation given what he did with Killie. 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

That is half the battle.

Having a manager that is capable of identifying the best players and inspiring them to wanting to play is half the battle for us.  It's tragic how many good players have made themselves unavailable for us over the last 10+ years.

WGS did seem to have the players on board but was too loyal to some players meaning some good players were being left out when they should have been included. 

The thing is if players are turning up and giving their all then it's a no brainer you're gonna keep picking them . I'm the same as you and thought Strachan was too loyal to some players but if he felt they would be there no matter what then he will pick them . Loyalty works both ways 

2 hours ago, Deeklipse said:

good find! :D
To be fair, it's been a decent 7 years and he'd had 9 games as a manager when I rote that, and now he's had nearly 200.

West Brom's best finish in about 40 years.
Reading's first cup semi-final in 90 years.
Kilmarnock into Europe.

He's not really done badly anywhere in those 7 years. The Reading sacking seemed political. And while West Brom's hadn't had a lot of wins spanning the end of one season and the start of the next, they were 16th when he went, having drawn with Chelsea and Arsenal and beaten Man Utd at Old Trafford. Hardly a disaster.

So it's reassuring that he's been consistently good.

I think Clarke will have had a good boost in terms of player perception.

Manager of the year and finishing 3rd with Killie are good, positive things that demand a bit of respect.
He's coming in on a high, unlike McLeish who seemed a bit like he was here because he couldn't get a job anywhere else.

Clarke's here because he wants to be and he's earned it.
Hopefully the players will recognise that and it'll help him in getting performances out of them.