Dapo Mebude - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dapo Mebude

Third Lanark

21 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Just made his debut for Rangers. Puzzled how this lad can be eligible for Scotland when he was born in London to Nigerian parents. At least Karamoko can claim 5 years' residency. The eligibility rules at youth level need to be firmed up.

What exactly would be your ideal eligibility rules ?

15 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Well, no grandparents for a start. And a decision to be made on the player's 18th birthday.

I'm not a big fan of the grandparent rule but it's essentially a compromise to try and level the playing field.

The number one qualification to play for a country is that you hold a passport for that country.   Each country has different criteria that decides who can be a citizen and that's right.  FIFA doesn't decide international law.  

As some countries - ROI for example - have looser criteria than others, the grandparent qualification was brought in to counter that.

On 5/19/2019 at 4:25 PM, Third Lanark said:

Just made his debut for Rangers. Puzzled how this lad can be eligible for Scotland when he was born in London to Nigerian parents. At least Karamoko can claim 5 years' residency. The eligibility rules at youth level need to be firmed up.

Do you have something against this kid?

He’s lived in Scotland for almost all of his life, feels Scottish and wants to play for Scotland.

Whats wrong with that?

50 minutes ago, BraveheartGordon said:

He’s lived in Scotland for almost all of his life, feels Scottish and wants to play for Scotland.

Whats wrong with that?

Would rather he played here than somebody who's gran got pumped off somebody from Glasgow in Blackpool during the Glasgow Fair and only wants to play for us as he's too shite for England.

The kid feels Scottish, grew up here, sounds Scottish. Good enough for me.

24 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Would rather he played here than somebody who's gran got pumped off somebody from Glasgow in Blackpool during the Glasgow Fair and only wants to play for us as he's too shite for England.

The kid feels Scottish, grew up here, sounds Scottish. Good enough for me.

She told me she was on the pill!!!

11 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Whats wrong with that?

No nothing against him at all, in fact delighted he can play for us. Just  trying to get  a handle on the actual rules because if Karamoko can play for Eng. then bugger me anybody can say they feel bulgarian or Italian and play for those nations if no rules apply.

17 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

No nothing against him at all, in fact delighted he can play for us. Just  trying to get  a handle on the actual rules because if Karamoko can play for Eng. then bugger me anybody can say they feel bulgarian or Italian and play for those nations if no rules apply.

Not really. Dembele was born in England. He may have absolutely no link with the place other than that but being born somewhere is a pretty standard eligibility criteria. Now Mebude may have a similar story. I don't know how long he's lived in Scotland but clearly a long time, long enough to be eligible.

7 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

There is a rule in place though (5 year schooling)

22 hours ago, aaid said:

The number one qualification to play for a country is that you hold a passport for that country.   Each country has different criteria that decides who can be a citizen and that's right.  FIFA doesn't decide international law.  

remind me, is it not just some sort of gentlemans agreement or hitstorical precedent between all the home nations in terms of deciding there own stricter elegibilty rules? 
Given its the UK thats issues passports and where you are registered as born. From a legal point of view to every other nation outside the UK where are all just from the same country ( I know, I know...keep it for another thread).

...at the back of my mind I seem to recall that there is really nothing stopping someone born in England with no family connection to Scotland being picked?

or I possibly made that up ....?

1 hour ago, The Golden Vision said:

remind me, is it not just some sort of gentlemans agreement or hitstorical precedent between all the home nations in terms of deciding there own stricter elegibilty rules? 
Given its the UK thats issues passports and where you are registered as born. From a legal point of view to every other nation outside the UK where are all just from the same country ( I know, I know...keep it for another thread).

...at the back of my mind I seem to recall that there is really nothing stopping someone born in England with no family connection to Scotland being picked?

or I possibly made that up ....?

You're correct, the agreement between the four associations is meant to reflect how FIFA rules would be applied if they were four independent nations.  They're not stricter than FIFA rules.

For example, someone born in England to English parents but with a Welsh and Scottish grandparent would be eligible for England, Wales and Scotland.  

That was amended a few years ago to reflect an anomaly whereby, for example, a child moving from Germany to England - and then gaining UK citizenship through residence - would be eligible for any of the four nations but a child born in England who moved to Scotland at a similar age would only be eligible for England.

But, it's just an agreement and say - for example - England decided to call up Billy Gilmour, FIFA would have no issue with that as he is a UK citizen.   It's not in the long term best interests of any of the associations to do that though, regardless of how good any individual player is. 

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

But, it's just an agreement and say - for example - England decided to call up Billy Gilmour, FIFA would have no issue with that as he is a UK citizen.   It's not in the long term best interests of any of the associations to do that though, regardless of how good any individual player is. 

It's been ratified by FIFA so they would have an issue with it.

The Home Nations could agree to change it, but it would need to be ratified again.

35 minutes ago, Debian said:

As I understand Dapo has been here most of his life and schooled here.

As i understand so is Dembele

Born in England but lived and Schooled in Scotland 

This rule, IIRC was brought in for Any Driver) remember him) and if Dembele plays for England that the rule broken..  unless he has been here less than 5 years 

Anyone know,.,

3 hours ago, stocky said:

As i understand so is Dembele

Born in England but lived and Schooled in Scotland 

This rule, IIRC was brought in for Any Driver) remember him) and if Dembele plays for England that the rule broken..  unless he has been here less than 5 years 

Anyone know,.,

No rules broken. He was born in England and schooled in Scotland. So he's eligible for both. 

19 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Not really. Dembele was born in England. He may have absolutely no link with the place other than that but being born somewhere is a pretty standard eligibility criteria. 

Aye, it used to be the only criteria too.  Hence why Joe Baker played for England instead of Scotland, and his brother Gerry played for the USA.