Play off - United v St Murn - Page 10 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play off - United v St Murn

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

See I don’t really get this. They survived relegation through the skin of their teeth. They seem to be celebrating and partying more than Celtic having just clinched the treble-treble. 

A quick wave wave to the fans once the job was done and a wee lap of the pitch maybe, but the whole celebrations behind Play-off Winners banners, champagne in the dressing rooms etc seems a bit weird to me. 

With all due respect McTeeko you sound like you definitely don’t sound like you know what it’s like to be a St.Mirren fan and you barely sound like you know what it’s like to be a football fan.

We had a team full of confidence that defied logic to escape relegation to the third tier for the first time in our entire history, then followed it up with an incredible romp to the Championship title. 

We entered the Premiership full of confidence only for that utter khunt Stubbs to wreck our squad and our team spirit. 

Thankfully our board were brave enough to hunt the useless khunt and what we have achieved since the end of the transfer window when Kearney had to chance to forge his own team, is nothing short of miraculous.

Very, very poor form to pour scorn on an amazing day to be a St. Mirren fan. As a supporter of an even smaller team I really thought you’d have understood that. 

Edited by Marky

Have to reiterate the comments earlier about the Utd fans. I know it’s easy to be magnanimous in victory but they were superb today. Noisy as hell and I can honestly say I’ve never seen a set of fans go as fuckin bonkers when their team scored.......and I was in Paris when McFadden scored. 

They best and noisiest away support I’ve ever seen at St. Mirren Park

They were celebrating another guaranteed season in Scotland's top flight (instead of dropping down to Scotland's second tier).

FWIW, the Premiership is best, IMHO, when both Dundee teams (and both Edinburgh teams) are in it.

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Fair enough Marky, but I still think it’s a total riddy for celebrating the way they did for finishing 11th. 

But they're not celebrating finishing 11th. I assume there were not pitch invasion and wild celebrations om the last day of tthe season.

They're celebrating not being relegated.

Good on them, do whatever the fvck you want to celebrate and enjoy next year in the top flight.

Of course, I agree with all that, survival IS something to celebrate - but not to the extent of group photos behind banners, tv crews and champagne getting sprayed all over the dressing room, the manager with a speech on the pitch. Just seemed far too excessive for my liking. If it was MY team, I’d like them to be a lot more subdued and relieved, a few handshakes, acknowledge the applause from the crowd and get down the tunnel with a collective “thank fuck”.

But that’s me. Everyone has a different levels of ambition I suppose. 

Anyway, I hope their fans enjoyed their night. I’ll look forward to the footage of the open-topped bus parade through Paisley next year if they finish 10th 👍🏼

Edited by McTeeko

30 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I thought McTeeko was having a “go” at the players for celebrating like they did, not the fans. 

Aye, I was. Having said what I said it’s obviously easy for the players to go overboard when there’s champagne thrown in the dressing room by sponsors and BT looking for good footage and piling in with their cameras. 

6 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I'm a dyed in the blue wool hun but I have always gone to St Mirren since being a student due to finances and ticket availability. 

Now my youngest son and my nephew support St Mirren so have to keep an eye on it for them.

Fair enough min, hope your son enjoyed the match.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Fair enough min, hope your son enjoyed the match.

The football on show was pretty poor but also to be expected considering what was at stake. St Mirren were easily the better football team but just weren't good enough to make it really count. United were murder. 

20 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Weird.

Yes you are. 😉

Seriously, do you never watch a game that doesn't have Celtic in it? If you do you have to "adopt" one of them, otherwise why watch it? 

3 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Yes you are. 😉

Seriously, do you never watch a game that doesn't have Celtic in it? If you do you have to "adopt" one of them, otherwise why watch it? 

No, not unless they are playing your lot. 😜Been to plenty matches with two sides I’ve no affinity to and I’ve never felt the need to adopt one as you put it. I find that plain odd. 

Gutted yesterday. If we cant score against St Mirren ( no disrespect) over two games then we dont deserve to go up. Very negative tactics from Neilson has cost us. To be fair too the Saints I was in their hospitality yesterday, must have been about 50/50 split. Well looked after, decent banter and a decent bunch.

Only saving bright spot, as ever, was seeing the Dundee fans as per usual celebrating us losing as if they won a cup 😂 That and the continued Hun seethe is epic 👍 

Looking back, cant argue with St Mirren staying up 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, Marky said:

Have to reiterate the comments earlier about the Utd fans. I know it’s easy to be magnanimous in victory but they were superb today. Noisy as hell and I can honestly say I’ve never seen a set of fans go as fuckin bonkers when their team scored.......and I was in Paris when McFadden scored. 

They best and noisiest away support I’ve ever seen at St. Mirren Park

Days like yesterday make me proud to be a supporter of a wee club like United. God awful performance but thats life. Contrast with the utter hatred from, for example, Rangers fans. 😂 Seriously, what a way to live your life. 

6 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Of course, I agree with all that, survival IS something to celebrate - but not to the extent of group photos behind banners, tv crews and champagne getting sprayed all over the dressing room, the manager with a speech on the pitch. Just seemed far too excessive for my liking. If it was MY team, I’d like them to be a lot more subdued and relieved, a few handshakes, acknowledge the applause from the crowd and get down the tunnel with a collective “thank fuck”.

But that’s me. Everyone has a different levels of ambition I suppose. 

Anyway, I hope their fans enjoyed their night. I’ll look forward to the footage of the open-topped bus parade through Paisley next year if they finish 10th 👍🏼

Och cheer up ya miserable bassa. This is how we do it in Paisley, we cant all attend WC finals and hob nob with the elite , some of us have to set our sights a bit lower 😏

On 5/24/2019 at 8:44 PM, Marky said:

🤣🤣

Listen to this guy suggesting St. Mirren aren’t a big club when he supports Motherwell 🤣 Aw ma sides.

St. Mirren regularly take extremely big numbers to Fir Park. Most recently a couple of weeks ago.

When did I say St Mirren weren't a big club? I merely suggested that Dundee United were a bigger one.

You should really read properly, before you go on the attack. Well done on staying up👍

10 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Because I was supporting St Mirren today. Its not a difficult concept really. 

I have family and friends that support St Mirre. 

Thanks for the support RB. Absolutely nothing wrong at all in getting behind your local team in a do or die game that does not involve your own team in anyway whatsoever. 

32 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Days like yesterday make me proud to be a supporter of a wee club like United. God awful performance but thats life. Contrast with the utter hatred from, for example, Rangers fans. 😂 Seriously, what a way to live your life. 

As Marky and Jim have said, the support was immense, was crap that your fans had to witness the penalties after the effort of extra time. But on the plus side, Jim had forgotten to take his blood pressure tablets that morning so made life a bit easier for us 🙂

Hope you had enough St Mirren hospitality in you to get through the journey home. 

27 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

As Marky and Jim have said, the support was immense, was crap that your fans had to witness the penalties after the effort of extra time. But on the plus side, Jim had forgotten to take his blood pressure tablets that morning so made life a bit easier for us 🙂

Hope you had enough St Mirren hospitality in you to get through the journey home. 

Yeah, they weren’t stingy on the booze in there 😳 The compere guy was good, when it came to read out the team lines he handed the mic to a fairly well oiled St Mirren fan to read your team out, then a pissed up United fan was dragged up to read out our team. 😂😂 Absolute shambles 

4 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Yeah, they weren’t stingy on the booze in there 😳 The compere guy was good, when it came to read out the team lines he handed the mic to a fairly well oiled St Mirren fan to read your team out, then a pissed up United fan was dragged up to read out our team. 😂😂 Absolute shambles 

😂😂 sounds like the teams have the fans they deserve . 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Thanks for the support RB. Absolutely nothing wrong at all in getting behind your local team in a do or die game that does not involve your own team in anyway whatsoever. 

Oh I know that. I'm used to folk being all judgy simply because I support Rangers. Their opinion of me is founded on their own unconscious bias. 

But enough of that shite, I've lost my voice somewhere in the Main Stand, so if anyone finds it can they give me a shout please. 😉

Hope the hangover isn't too bad. 

9 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Oh I know that. I'm used to folk being all judgy simply because I support Rangers. Their opinion of me is founded on their own unconscious bias. 

But enough of that shite, I've lost my voice somewhere in the Main Stand, so if anyone finds it can they give me a shout please. 😉

Hope the hangover isn't too bad. 

Urgh, think I have swallowed your voice. Couldn't even manage 2 slice of toast this morning 😩