Play off - United v St Murn - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play off - United v St Murn

Was as expected. A tight, cagey, tense game. Can't really see the second leg being much different. Put your money on extra time and penalties. Not so good for United when we have players that struggle to make it past 70 minutes.

I like Robbie but his blind spot for Sow is concerning. Safranko offers so much more.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Both teams would get football stopped.

Felt sorry for the ball.

Check out the Killie fan gettin all up himself coz they are actually quite good for s change 🤣

12 minutes ago, Marky said:

Check out the Killie fan gettin all up himself coz they are actually quite good for s change 🤣

Not really, if we're shite I say we're shite.

Trust me, I've seen plenty of shite!

Just disappointed in that last night as it wasn't a great advert for Scottish football at all.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Its hardly surprising that the 2nd worst team in the top flight, and a team that couldn't finish top of a really, really poor league are both shite and contested a shite match.

I hope United come up though.

I'd prefer St Mirren.

They always bring a decent support to RP.

They're supports at Fir Park are generally poor...I'd rather see the bigger clubs in the league now. Gutted that Ross County are going to join Accies and Livi in utterly stinking the league out again. In an ideal world, Dundee, St Mirren and Dundee United would replace those three.

I think there is a correlation between poor supports and poor football.

Using Accies as an example, I wouldn’t pay to watch that every season, but also because nobody is watching there is no pressure or expectation to try and play football, they can just shitfest their way through games and if they happen to get a goal they are in with a chance.

22 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

They're supports at Fir Park are generally poor...I'd rather see the bigger clubs in the league now. Gutted that Ross County are going to join Accies and Livi in utterly stinking the league out again. In an ideal world, Dundee, St Mirren and Dundee United would replace those three.

Aye, our games against them are kinda like a derby for some reason.

Mainly cos Ayr have been an irrelevance for most of my life.

Half the boys on my bus have never seen us play Ayr in the league! In fact, half them weren't even alive last time we did!

Utd will bring 300-500 to RP on a good day, St Mirren will take 1,000+.

Utd probably say the same about us, which is fair enough!

Edited by Squirrelhumper

27 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think there is a correlation between poor supports and poor football.

Using Accies as an example, I wouldn’t pay to watch that every season, but also because nobody is watching there is no pressure or expectation to try and play football, they can just shitfest their way through games and if they happen to get a goal they are in with a chance.

I dont think its as simple as poor football results in poor support. Results & pricing to a smaller degree, bring fans in, if youre winning games, the performance issue fades away.

Hearts have a very good home support, but their fitba is worse than Hamiltons IMO, well maybe not, but for the budget they have, they are undoubtedly worse. Hamilton will never have a decent support, they are located in the bigot belt after all. 

5 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I dont think its as simple as poor football results in poor support. Results & pricing to a smaller degree, bring fans in, if youre winning games, the performance issue fades away.

Hearts have a very good home support, but their fitba is worse than Hamiltons IMO, well maybe not, but for the budget they have, they are undoubtedly worse. Hamilton will never have a decent support, they are located in the bigot belt after all. 

I was actually meaning the correlation the other way.

The teams with a poor support don’t have the pressure or expectation to try and play football. Particularly away from home, they can unashamedly park the bus and start time wasting halfway through the first half.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Hamilton will never have a decent support, they are located in the bigot belt after all. 

Teams like Killie, Motherwell etc have a decent support and within the same area. Hamilton had a decent support before they became nomads and lost a generation.

Plenty of bigots up your way too, had the misfortune to be in the same pub as the Angus Loyal on Sunday. Cretins.

24 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

😂😂 I should think so to, its only 20 mile away. 

40 mins or so by road.

Not as if there's direct trains or anything either so saying it's only 20 miles is a bit disingenuous.  Need to go to Glasgow first if going by any mode of public transport and change.

39 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

40 mins or so by road.

Not as if there's direct trains or anything either so saying it's only 20 miles is a bit disingenuous.  Need to go to Glasgow first if going by any mode of public transport and change.

Fuck me, I thought our public transport was bad. 😂  

7 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

🤣🤣

Listen to this guy suggesting St. Mirren aren’t a big club when he supports Motherwell 🤣 Aw ma sides.

St. Mirren regularly take extremely big numbers to Fir Park. Most recently a couple of weeks ago.

It was never going to be a classic. Two teams who knew what was at stake.

Not easy on the eye for the neutral butfor yours truly who went up to Tannadice, nervous excitement.

It's going to be even worse on Sunday. Both teams will be terrified that one mistake could be curtains. It's just too tight to call. It's in our own hands at home, but United will feel as confident. All to play for

22 minutes ago, Marky said:

🤣🤣

Listen to this guy suggesting St. Mirren aren’t a big club when he supports Motherwell 🤣 Aw ma sides.

St. Mirren regularly take extremely big numbers to Fir Park. Most recently a couple of weeks ago.

1977 Whilst playing in the second tier of Scottish football St Mirren took an estimated 18000-20000 fans for a 4th round Scottish Cup tie, I was 12 years old in the main Stand, I think they have the official attendance as around 25,000 but there was much more than that as little ones got lifted over the Turnstyles in those days and we saw loads climbing over the wall without paying.

The urban myth in Paisley is that there were more St Mirren fans inside Fir Park that day than there has EVER been Well fans inside their own stadium for any game in their history. 

I have no idea if that’s true but it sure sounds good lol. 

Edited by Jersey Jim

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

1977 Whilst playing in the second tier of Scottish football St Mirren took an estimated 18000-20000 fans for a 4th round Scottish Cup tie, I was 12 years old in the main Stand, I think they have the official attendance as around 25,000 but there was much more than that as little ones got lifted over the Turnstyles in those days and we saw loads climbing over the wall without paying.

The urban myth in Paisley is that there were more St Mirren fans inside Fir Park that day than there has EVER been Well fans inside their own stadium for any game in their history. 

I have no idea if that’s true but it sure sounds good lol. 

I was behind the goal that Frank McGarvey scored in. Absolute pandemonium. That was my first ever St. Mirren away game. 

Won't see the second leg as I'll be away all day.  I'll also be able to easily avoid the score so is there a highlights programme on anywhere?  I appreciate it might not be a lengthy programme going by the first game but at least there's guaranteed to be SOME excitement, even if it's penalties.

Murn fans, some help please. First time away at yours since the Love Street days. What are we looking at for a taxi from Queen Street Station to your  ground ? Looking to avoid the walk to central, train to Paisley, then walk to the ground. Slight rain is predicted and I’m in a group of 4 lazy bastards 👍

49 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Murn fans, some help please. First time away at yours since the Love Street days. What are we looking at for a taxi from Queen Street Station to your  ground ? Looking to avoid the walk to central, train to Paisley, then walk to the ground. Slight rain is predicted and I’m in a group of 4 lazy bastards 👍

Not used taxi recently but the online ones have ranges from £22 to £38, so less than a tenner each. 

49 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

If you get in a hackney cab at the station you’re looking at £30+. If you get an Uber you’d probably get it for around 20 quid. 

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

Yeah £30 in Hack.

Also if you get the train to Paisley St. James rather than Paisley Gilmour St, then there is no walk to the ground coz it’s right there. 

4 hours ago, daviebee said:

Won't see the second leg as I'll be away all day.  I'll also be able to easily avoid the score so is there a highlights programme on anywhere?  I appreciate it might not be a lengthy programme going by the first game but at least there's guaranteed to be SOME excitement, even if it's penalties.

1aaaapYDTeFydvaxA50F7hUHSHsB2i.jpg

Edited by Ally Bongo