Treatment of players - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Treatment of players

andyD

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

If you can’t handle the verbal abuse that will likely come with the game then go do something else. 

Don't you think this a little bit like someone in the 70s saying to a woman that if they can't handle the sexual harassment in the workplace they should just go find another job where it doesn't exist?

As I said before, booing doesn't bother me too much because it just sounds silly for grown men to do, but some of the personal verbal abuse levelled at players at the game and on social media is out of order. We need to be more forward thinking. 

2 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Don't you think this a little bit like someone in the 70s saying to a woman that if they can't handle the sexual harassment in the workplace they should just go find another job where it doesn't exist?

As I said before, booing doesn't bother me too much because it just sounds silly for grown men to do, but some of the personal verbal abuse levelled at players at the game and on social media is out of order. We need to be more forward thinking. 

2 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I’ve not clicked that link but from the title I guess he’s been bottled, I don’t condone violence or harassment off the pitch, sure that and sexual assault in the work place are already crimes that can be dealt with under existence laws. 

Good luck trying to police verbal abuse from the stands. 

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’ve not clicked that link but from the title I guess he’s been bottled, I don’t condone violence or harassment off the pitch, sure that and sexual assault in the work place are already crimes that can be dealt with under existence laws. 

Good luck trying to police verbal abuse from the stands. 

I think grown adults should have the mental constitution to police it themselves. Show some class and respect. 

7 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Back in the real world ...

Maybe I am too much of an idealist? I think an easy start in the right direction would be that when a player does speak out about abuse or mental health issues we don't just tell them fuck off and get another job. But you're right, I may be asking for too much too soon from the average football fan. 

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Maybe I am too much of an idealist? I think an easy start in the right direction would be that when a player does speak out about abuse or mental health issues we don't just tell them fuck off and get another job. But you're right, I may be asking for too much too soon from the average football fan. 

Who said they should fuck off?

Verbal abuse from fans is part of the game and is unlikely to change anytime soon, if it’s affecting a players mental health then changing their own circumstances is more realistic than expecting a group of fans to change.

Sticks and stones and all that. 

16 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Verbal abuse from fans is part of the game and is unlikely to change anytime soon, if it’s affecting a players mental health then changing their own circumstances is more realistic than expecting a group of fans to change.

While I've not much issue with fans booing and I've taken part in it plenty of times, I don't think victim blaming is the way to go.

7 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Who said they should fuck off?

Sticks and stones and all that. 

I totally get your realism argument. Sorry, I was boiling down telling people to just get a new job if they can't handle it to basically saying "fuck off". I just think we can do better than that. Especially the TA. Don't you? 

I think it's great that we even have this thread on the TAMB. 

Sticks and stones is nonsense BTW. A very large fraction of young males suffer from mental health issues, and too few ever talk about it or seek help. These issues are not caused only by sticks and stones. 

You say this fan behaviour is unlikely to change. You're a fan. Be the change you want to see mate. Instead of defending the nonsense and telling the victims they should be able to handle it. 

I just think it will be ponderous to future generations that there used to be a job that people did where having personal abuse hurled at you was publicly acceptable. 

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

I totally get your realism argument. Sorry, I was boiling down telling people to just get a new job if they can't handle it to basically saying "fuck off". I just think we can do better than that. Especially the TA. Don't you? 

Sticks and stones is nonsense BTW. A very large fraction of young males suffer from mental health issues, and too few ever talk about it or seek help. These issues are not caused only by sticks and stones. 

You say this fan behaviour is unlikely to change. You're a fan. Be the change you want to see mate. Instead of defending the nonsense and telling the victims they should be able to handle it. 

I just think it will be ponderous to future generations that there used to be a job that people did where having personal abuse hurled at you was publicly acceptable. 

Aye I work in mental health myself and ironically get abused verbally and physically on a weekly basis but it’s part of the job and I know that when I come to work, far from ideal but there you go. 

Theres been great strides for mainstream and non government organisations into promoting mental heath in young males, not sure what the relation is with footballer players taking stick, that can admittedly go too far at a game of football.

18 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Aye I work in mental health myself and ironically get abused verbally and physically on a weekly basis but it’s part of the job and I know that when I come to work, far from ideal but there you go. 

Theres been great strides for mainstream and non government organisations into promoting mental heath in young males, not sure what the relation is with footballer players taking stick, that can admittedly go too far at a game of football.

I think this is exactly what the OP is talking about?

I don't know about your job at all, but it sounds like the verbal and physical abuse might be coming from a smaller group of people with real issues, not just the general public? Either way, my hat is off to you, as doing that kind of work is very admirable, important, and a job I don't have the guts to do.

On 5/24/2019 at 3:00 PM, mrniaboc said:

All I took from that post was where you still seem to think Scotland fans are angels and don’t behave like that. 

A fair percentage of our fans are absolute cretins and use away games like a stag trip to behave like an utter arsehole. 

A few fans booing is the least of the problems. 

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

All I took from that post was where you still seem to think Scotland fans are angels and don’t behave like that. 

A fair percentage of our fans are absolute cretins and use away games like a stag trip to behave like an utter arsehole. 

A few fans booing is the least of the problems. 

I don't think all Scotland fans are angels, and any large group will have a certain fraction of miscreants, however I like to think the vast majority of the TA hold themselves to a respectable standard.