An English Summer?? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An English Summer??

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Good read that. Didn't realise all 5 of Europe's big leagues had been retained this year.

This fact really sticks out:-

"In 67 Premier League games this season one side had 70% possession or more; 15 years ago there was one"

It also reflects that many teams play football in a different way than they did 15 years ago, more happy to slow the game down and retain possession. 15 years or so ago it was Mourinho’s Chelsea as league winners, fast wingers, played on the break a lot. There is also the fact that some teams are happier to defend and try and stifle the game now. Tactics and football changes, 15 years is a long time tactically. 

38 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

It also reflects that many teams play football in a different way than they did 15 years ago, more happy to slow the game down and retain possession. 15 years or so ago it was Mourinho’s Chelsea as league winners, fast wingers, played on the break a lot. There is also the fact that some teams are happier to defend and try and stifle the game now. Tactics and football changes, 15 years is a long time tactically. 

That's true, it'd be interesting to see how many of those 67 games were won by the team with 70% possession. 

5 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Totally correct.

During his last spell at Chelsea and also at Man United, I seen Mourinho being described ( in all seriousness ) as a dinosaur due to his ‘outdated’ tactics. The guy was in his early/mid 50’s 😂😂’ 

On 5/22/2019 at 8:12 PM, vanderark14 said:

Some of the prices being paid just for flights are ridiculous, I can totally understand why people wouldn’t pay for it. One guy on the rails said he was paying over £7k to go with his two boys, that’s before spending money too.

These people are probably idiots though. You can fly from the UK to Georgia via various countries, I used Poland to generate a price, for £500, overnight train from Tblisi to Baku and back for £60.

Its never in a million years going to happen, but if Dundee were playing in a European final, and I could get there for £560, Id be there.

The same as people who cant get to Madrid as flights were costing over a grand from Liverpool. Liverpool to central Europe, then onto Madrid for a few hundred quid. Theres thousand of cunts who are utterly clueless about how to travel.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:48 PM, UpTheSlope said:

I’m surprised at the lack of outrage surrounding the fact that Henrik Mhykitaryn is unable to travel to Azerbaijan due to fears for his safety, purely based on his own nationality 

If something similar happened with someone fearing for their safety in Israel then I can only imagine what the furore would be like. Yer Tommy Sheridan’s and George Galloway’s would be having aneurysms for breakfast, dinner and tea with double helpings for supper 

The Azer government have said he will be safe, so its his decision not to travel. Its not like he will be walking about Baku in the middle of the night on his own, he probably just didnt want to disappear in a big game as usual.

Edited by kumnio

17 hours ago, kumnio said:

These people are probably idiots though. You can fly from the UK to Georgia via various countries, I used Poland to generate a price, for £500, overnight train from Tblisi to Baku and back for £60.

Its never in a million years going to happen, but if Dundee were playing in a European final, and I could get there for £560, Id be there.

The same as people who cant get to Madrid as flights were costing over a grand from Liverpool. Liverpool to central Europe, then onto Madrid for a few hundred quid. Theres thousand of cunts who are utterly clueless about how to travel.

My pal (spurs fan) is going Aberdeen, Amsterdam, Marrakesh, Madrid and vice versa for about £550 all in. The hotel is costing him more for 2 nights 😂😂