An English Summer?? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An English Summer??

I think this could be a very good summer for England and English Football.

The fact that they have 4 teams in the European Finals in Phenomenal,  London has 3 teams in European Finals...

there have been  2 from one city before Madrid, and we have had 2 Spanish teams competing in the wee euro cup final before .

This is unprecedented and i think Credit where credit is due. 

4 teams from 1 league (and the champions of that league will not be there , Man City)  and I say (through grated teeth) well  done to them

It will get better for the English  , i believe, (and worse for the TA) , as i think England will win the Lassies World cup and dare i say it 

England will get to the Final of the Nations League and very possibly  win it.

I hope its Peak England and not the start of a continuing run for a good few years, however i fear this is the start of a golden era....  

Thoughts and Comments ...

40 minutes ago, stocky said:

The fact that they have 4 teams in the European Finals in Phenomenal,  London has 3 teams in European Finals...

there have been  2 from one city before Madrid, and we have had 2 Spanish teams competing in the wee euro cup final before .

4 teams from 1 league (and the champions of that league will not be there , Man City)  and I say (through grated teeth) well  done to them

It will get better for the English  , i believe, (and worse for the TA) , as i think England will win the Lassies World cup and dare i say it 

I hope its Peak England and not the start of a continuing run for a good few years, however i fear this is the start of a golden era....  

7 English players started the semi finals hardly a great time for English football as you are trying to say, more of a great time for the clubs 

I don't have a problem with whoever is in the final and certainly don't have any issues with it being English clubs. Spanish clubs have dominated the two European trophies over the last 5 years, winning 9 from 10 available, and also having a couple all Spanish CL finals. No one seemed to get p'd off at that.

Yes there are 4 teams in the 2 finals but the CL final make up is more by luck considering both sides involved were 3-0 down at some point in their ties and the odds on them making an all English final at those points was a combined 1 in 500.

Will it make the English national team better? Who knows. Maybe. But as noted above, its not as if you have 20-30 English players featuring across these two games.

England have some potentially very good young players but they still all have to be playing regularly at first team level to fully see the impact on the national side. That may or may not happen, we don't know yet.

The rest of Europe is struggling to keep up with the financial power that the English clubs have, particularly the top 6. 

I can see English side dominating over the next few years.

European football is broken and looks set to get even worse with the next lot of changes.

2 hours ago, Blackpool78 said:

7 English players started the semi finals hardly a great time for English football as you are trying to say, more of a great time for the clubs 

And with no English managers.

4 hours ago, stocky said:

Hope Holland make the final, I’m in Amsterdam for the night on the way to Brussels so no doubt there would be a great atmosphere around the place. Alternatively plenty English punters over on stags etc so should be a good watch either way

Edited by dan cake

4 hours ago, Blackpool78 said:

They’ve had the big bucks for a decade now, it’s getting the best managers in world football that’s made the difference.Johnny foreigner (Ajax and Barca) filling their pants helped 

Haven't even mentioned the Women's World Cup yet which is going to be massively hyped. Just hope we beat them but there's already been extensive media coverage - and that was just of the England squad announcement.

Edited by Hertsscot

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 12:47 PM, UpTheSlope said:

Praying for Chelsea to win the Europa League so that the super cup will then be Liverpool/Spurs  vs Chelsea.... in Instanbul 

It’s pathetic that these cunts can’t sell out their allocations of 6k for a European Final regardless of where it’s being held.

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

It’s pathetic that these cunts can’t sell out their allocations of 6k for a European Final regardless of where it’s being held.

Some of the prices being paid just for flights are ridiculous, I can totally understand why people wouldn’t pay for it. One guy on the rails said he was paying over £7k to go with his two boys, that’s before spending money too.

39 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/19/manchester-city-sky-blue-smashing-of-watford-proves-football-is-broken

cracking article which Scottish football fans can relate to considering it also sums up our own game.

Good read that. Didn't realise all 5 of Europe's big leagues had been retained this year.

This fact really sticks out:-

"In 67 Premier League games this season one side had 70% possession or more; 15 years ago there was one"

19 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Good read that. Didn't realise all 5 of Europe's big leagues had been retained this year.

This fact really sticks out:-

"In 67 Premier League games this season one side had 70% possession or more; 15 years ago there was one"

I'd estimate 38 of those games involved us.

I’m surprised at the lack of outrage surrounding the fact that Henrik Mhykitaryn is unable to travel to Azerbaijan due to fears for his safety, purely based on his own nationality 

If something similar happened with someone fearing for their safety in Israel then I can only imagine what the furore would be like. Yer Tommy Sheridan’s and George Galloway’s would be having aneurysms for breakfast, dinner and tea with double helpings for supper 

Edited by UpTheSlope