Squad for Cyprus and Belgium - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Cyprus and Belgium

bazmidd

5 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

What about Jack at right back?

I take the point made earlier that there is nobody there saying to these players, "you'll be in the next squad so keep your fitness up."

By the way I am not a big fan of Ryan Jack but he actually played better at right back against Holland than O'Donnell and Palmer have in any game since

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I’d rather McCrorie got his starting place back for Rangers before he got a start for Scotland, particularly if he was played out of position.  

No doubt, but we’re scrapping the barrel somewhat. I’ve gone right off O’Donnell, Palmer was abysmal, and Paterson is injured. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

7 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

No doubt, but we’re scrapping the barrel somewhat. I’ve gone right off O’Donnell, Palmer was abysmal, and Paterson is injured. 

So is Robertson by the look of it. And Tierney.

We’ll have no decent right backs or left backs for the June games at this rate. 

23 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

So is Robertson by the look of it. And Tierney.

We’ll have no decent right backs or left backs for the June games at this rate. 

It won't matter cause we won't have anyone to pick the squad anyway.  Hope we hear something soon about a new manager 

I'm assuming Tierney & Christie are out.
I'd also go with a larger pool of players like other nations do, just in case we do get any call offs.
Mulgrew would have probably made it in too but hasn't really played since coming back from injury

Bain, Clark, Kelly

O'Donnell, Palmer, Robertson, Taylor, Bates, Berra, McKenna, Findlay, Souttar

McTominay, McLean, McGregor, McGinn, Armstrong, Fleck, Turnbull, McCrorie

Forrest, Fraser, Burke, Fletcher, McBurnie, Phillips, 

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

I'm assuming Tierney & Christie are out.
I'd also go with a larger pool of players like other nations do, just in case we do get any call offs.
Mulgrew would have probably made it in too but hasn't really played since coming back from injury

Bain, Clark, Kelly

O'Donnell, Palmer, Robertson, Taylor, Bates, Berra, McKenna, Findlay, Souttar

McTominay, McLean, McGregor, McGinn, Armstrong, Fleck, Turnbull, McCrorie

Forrest, Fraser, Burke, Fletcher, McBurnie, Phillips, 

Not sure I agree Burke should be in the squad. He’s hardly kicked a ball for Celtic since Lennon took over. Ross McCrorie also isn’t starting for Rangers.

I would also have Johnny Russell in ahead of Phillips. He hasn’t done much wrong and is still scoring and creating for KC. I haven’t seen much of Phillips recently in fairness but he has never seemed that interested in playing for us to me. 

49 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Not sure I agree Burke should be in the squad. He’s hardly kicked a ball for Celtic since Lennon took over. Ross McCrorie also isn’t starting for Rangers.

I would also have Johnny Russell in ahead of Phillips. He hasn’t done much wrong and is still scoring and creating for KC. I haven’t seen much of Phillips recently in fairness but he has never seemed that interested in playing for us to me. 

Russell! I knew I’d forgotten someone...

I’d have him over Burke who I put in purely because I was struggling to think of wide players

Just now, csinclair said:

I’d have him over Burke who I put in purely because I was struggling to think of wide players

Burke has started for Celtic so a couple of goals today wouldn’t do his chances any harm. 

Looks off the pace at the moment though. 

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Johnny Russell was never seen as any thing more than average until he went to the states so I would suspect his stature there says more about the standard of the MLS than him as a player.

I am dead against taking along 29 year olds just to make up the numbers so would sooner Burke or the more experienced ,and slightly younger Phillips

Burke has started for Celtic so a couple of goals today wouldn’t do his chances any harm. 

He was dreadful today and based on that he should be nowhere near a scotland squad. I would rate guys like brophy, mcnutly and kris boyd over burke at the moment. 

Didn't watch the game , anything to suggest he might be an international class player?

Good to see Ralston on the bench, still think if Rodgers saw something in him there might be something there, don't forget he is only 20.

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Didn't watch the game , anything to suggest he might be an international class player?

Good to see Ralston on the bench, still think if Rodgers saw something in him there might be something there, don't forget he is only 20.

Burke was rotten. I don’t think it’s going to happen. It’s a self belief thing, if anything.Arfield on the other hand was immense. Quite how we passed on him I’ll never know.

Edited by er yir macaroon

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Nah he was terrible today. Missed a sitter at the end as well. 

19 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Burke was rotten. I don’t think it’s going to happen. It’s a self belief thing, if anything.Arfield on the other hand was immense. Quite how we passed on him I’ll never know.

Mainly due to the stubbornness of Strachan and his refusal to pick him over his favourites. 

Ok so Levein could have capped him but he was playing in League one for Huddersfield so I can understand why he wasn’t capped then. I think he struggled to get a game when Huddersfield were promoted as well. 

As soon as he started doing well for Burnley he should have been capped by Strachan. 

There is something there with Burke but he doesn't seem to have the character or the self belief or more importantly at this moment and time the trust and backing of his manager. Lennon made his mind up about him after his miss v Livingston. Today seems like his last chance in Lennons eyes and if Lennon gets the job I don't think Burke will be at Celtic next year. This though would probably be a good thing as far as Burke is concerned. Rodgers leaving has turned out to be the worst thing that happened to him and he needs to find another coach/manager that believes in him like Rodgers did and in turn give him his own self belief back

3 hours ago, jamboman said:

He was dreadful today and based on that he should be nowhere near a scotland squad. I would rate guys like brophy, mcnutly and kris boyd over burke at the moment. 

I agree that Burke was terrible today and doesn’t deserve a place in our next squad. 

Boyd though? Seriously? He’s about a stone overweight and can’t get a start for Kilmarnock. 

I agree that Burke was terrible today and doesn’t deserve a place in our next squad. 

Boyd though? Seriously? He’s about a stone overweight and can’t get a start for Kilmarnock. 

Pretty sure he isn't being serious about Boyd, probably not about McNulty either, Brophy though is harder to call This board is getting very murky when it comes to the seriousness of some posts.

Then again maybe he is serious as I said it is hard to call these days.