Aberdeen or Kilmarnock... - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Aberdeen or Kilmarnock...

13 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Agreed. Adopting the reverse prize money scale is more akin to the US draft system, although it gets royally abused on a regular basis. 

I don't know enough about the NFL system but is it fairer than the current football system?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't know enough about the NFL system but is it fairer than the current football system?

At one level it does, essentially the worst team in the NFL gets the first pick of the best new players coming through the draft.  The idea being that over time they'll be able to catch up with other teams.

However this could never work in football for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, recruitment to the NFL is almost solely restricted to the US college draft, football is a global sport.  Secondly, the NFL is a closed shop, there's no promotion or relegation.

I can't see how something like reverse prize money can work when you have promotion and relegation in place and I don't see many people saying we should get rid of that. 

37 minutes ago, aaid said:

At one level it does, essentially the worst team in the NFL gets the first pick of the best new players coming through the draft.  The idea being that over time they'll be able to catch up with other teams.

However this could never work in football for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, recruitment to the NFL is almost solely restricted to the US college draft, football is a global sport.  Secondly, the NFL is a closed shop, there's no promotion or relegation.

I can't see how something like reverse prize money can work when you have promotion and relegation in place and I don't see many people saying we should get rid of that. 

If the draft system was left alone it would work but teams can sell their picks or trade them for multi picks thereby corrupting the intent of the system. 

13 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

If the draft system was left alone it would work but teams can sell their picks or trade them for multi picks thereby corrupting the intent of the system. 

Yeah but it still doesn't translate to football

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I may be on my own here but the money shouldn't be the reward, spread the cash among each teams equally, being first should be enough for any team in the league. Celtic already have the huge advantage of a bigger fan base. I don't see why giving stronger teams more and more money helps a competition. 

I agree.

You could argue teams higher up will be on TV more, so lose out on other revenue with weird KOs... (but let’s be honest we all get the visits of the OF and a few token games)

I’d be cool with everyone getting same or a more even sliding scale.

A reverse sliding scale would be open to abuse. Teams trying to avoid 6th place to finish 10th....

:lol:

50 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I agree.

You could argue teams higher up will be on TV more, so lose out on other revenue with weird KOs... (but let’s be honest we all get the visits of the OF and a few token games)

A reverse sliding scale would be open to abuse. Teams trying to avoid 6th place to finish 10th....

Motherwell seem to think this is in place already.......😜

6 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Me too. And the next home game when St.Mirren scudded us 6-1 😦

That was first trip to Rugby Park, we could easily have got double figures that day, think we were 4 or 5 up at half time, rumour at the time was the senior players ( Somner, Stark, Abercrombie, McDougall,  Weir etc) decided to take their foot off the has we had great affection for Jim Clunie as he had been a fantastic manager for us the previous 3 seasons. 

Edited to say, just read those players names back, I think we were just an Aberdeen feeder club back then, throw in Sir Alex well. 

Edited by Jersey Jim

19 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I remember an 8-1 from the late 70s I think but have a feeling we had a 7 or 8 after that? 

At work so will Google it after I've had a lunchtime run. 

18 hours ago, stirlish said:

It was 1980, Jim Brown in goals for Killie ( might have been his debut).

Think he ended up at Irvine Meadow. 

By the time ma faither got us into the ground we'd missed 3 goal.

Unfortunately for Jim the Scotsport cameras didn't miss it...

12 hours ago, aaid said:

Yeah but it still doesn't translate to football

I didn't suggest it would. I was pointing out that other countries/sports actually try and even the playing field. We do the reverse. 

10 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I agree.

I thought about that. You could just have the bottom 6 getting the same enhanced money with the top 6 getting less and the top 3 slightly less again. 

It would need to be balanced so that the benefit of the top 6 gates etc would offset the reduced prize to avoid the 6th and 7th placed teams chucking games. The top 3 are in Europe so again their prize could reduce and be offset by the gates and TV revenue from that. 

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

By the time ma faither got us into the ground we'd missed 3 goals

..Killie were doin OK till u arrived...  The Jinx was in place at an early age i see.....  😉 

R you going on Sunday?

2 hours ago, stocky said:

..Killie were doin OK till u arrived...  The Jinx was in place at an early age i see.....  😉 

R you going on Sunday?

Fortunately for Killie's chances I'm in Lisbon for the weekend. Score updates will be required...

On 5/14/2019 at 4:55 PM, vanderark14 said:

I may be on my own here but the money shouldn't be the reward, spread the cash among each teams equally, being first should be enough for any team in the league. Celtic already have the huge advantage of a bigger fan base. I don't see why giving stronger teams more and more money helps a competition. 

Wondered if something similar happens in europe, countries with higher co-efficients get more european spots with more opportunity to get more money, increase their co-efficient further ....

As far as spl, thought about if the best way to even out the league slightly would be for every club to get a tax per ticket, say £2 the proceeds of this would then be split between the 12 clubs weekly or monthly.  

On 5/15/2019 at 8:13 AM, Toepoke said:

That horsing from St Mirren pre dated Clunie, he oversaw further Premier pumpings two seasons later.

My drunken youth was playing tricks with my memory , 

It would be around the time Davie Sneddon got fired, but the St Mirren game might have been a caretaker manager?

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Well done to Killie.

Was the turning point offloading Stewart to Aberdeen? 

Yes. He was awful for us and seemed to be jammed in to a team that was working very well with May and Cosgrove. Only one scored the goals, but the other done a power of running, build up and tracking back. That’s where our season went wrong. 

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Yes. He was awful for us and seemed to be jammed in to a team that was working very well with May and Cosgrove. Only one scored the goals, but the other done a power of running, build up and tracking back. That’s where our season went wrong. 

I can't see what he offers to a team. Bizarre signing for rangers if he goes to Ibrox. 

36 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I can't see what he offers to a team. Bizarre signing for rangers if he goes to Ibrox. 

He seemed to be doing well at Killie, was a strange decision by everyone involved to ship him to Aberdeen, where he’d already flopped...

Perhaps Killie could’ve done even better if they had a bit of luck with injuries etc. to compensate for the lack of depth they had.

The changes Rangers were able to make today without obviously weakening their team shows the gulf in resources, yet Killie still beat them.

Edited by sbcmfc

19 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

He seemed to be doing well at Killie, was a strange decision by everyone involved to ship him to Aberdeen, where he’d already flopped...

Perhaps Killie could’ve done even better if they had a bit of luck with injuries etc. to compensate for the lack of depth they had.

The changes Rangers were able to make today without obviously weakening their team shows the gulf in resources, yet Killie still beat them.

Sorry but the changes definitely weakened Rangers. Barisic is made of chocolate, Worrall is a shambles and the wee scumbag at right bag isn't anywhere near the player that Tavernier is. 

Our defence was heavily weakened. 

The midfield changes were much less of an issue and up front was fine. 

None of that actually matters as the side was good enough to win the game and missed too many chances. 

Killie weren't at their best, from what I saw but got the job done and I have no issue with them winning the game. 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Sorry but the changes definitely weakened Rangers. Barisic is made of chocolate, Worrall is a shambles and the wee scumbag at right bag isn't anywhere near the player that Tavernier is. 

Our defence was heavily weakened. 

The midfield changes were much less of an issue and up front was fine. 

None of that actually matters as the side was good enough to win the game and missed too many chances. 

Killie weren't at their best, from what I saw but got the job done and I have no issue with them winning the game. 

I probably didn’t word it very well, as the changes did weaken Rangers as you’ve described, but on paper these are good players.

Rangers have a big squad of players who are on wages Kilmarnock couldn’t dream of paying. They perhaps have a lot of dead wood, and guys who are not playing to expectations, but they certainly have depth in their squad.

My point was more about the depth of squad Killie have compared to the 2 teams that finished above them making it nearly impossible to bridge that gap.

Stuart McCall had relative success at Motherwell, loosely by going for quality over quantity, but it needs a lot of luck. (I also believe we had an unsustainably generous bonus structure that appeared to give players an extra edge)

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I probably didn’t word it very well, as the changes did weaken Rangers as you’ve described, but on paper these are good players.

Rangers have a big squad of players who are on wages Kilmarnock couldn’t dream of paying. They perhaps have a lot of dead wood, and guys who are not playing to expectations, but they certainly have depth in their squad.

My point was more about the depth of squad Killie have compared to the 2 teams that finished above them making it nearly impossible to bridge that gap.

Stuart McCall had relative success at Motherwell, loosely by going for quality over quantity, but it needs a lot of luck. (I also believe we had an unsustainably generous bonus structure that appeared to give players an extra edge)

Totally agree on the squad. Rangers certainly have some apparent dead wood right now and thankfully Worrall will be gone now. 

Pity we have wasted a decent amount on Barisic. I never understood why we bought him in the first place. 

6 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Totally agree on the squad. Rangers certainly have some apparent dead wood right now and thankfully Worrall will be gone now. 

Pity we have wasted a decent amount on Barisic. I never understood why we bought him in the first place. 

Barisic looked really good in the 2 games against Osijek.  His problem seems to be that he has the heart of a mouse.  How he gets in that Croatia squad is baffling.  We have more than some dead wood.  All of the below need to be shipped out this season.  With few exceptions they're unlikely to see any game time so we need to free space and money for better replacements.

Barisic, Wallace (gone), Worrall (g), McAuley (g), Holt, Coulibaly (g) Dorrans, Herrera, Dodoo, Grezda, Lafferty.  I'd keep Foderingham as I think he's a good keeper but he's unlikely to want to sit on the bench for another year so reckon he'll go.  In addition we've got Jones and Stewart who we've just signed and I don't see getting anywhere near our starting XI and Middleton and McCrorie who would both benefit from a year of first team football somewhere else.  Also Docherty and Rossiter coming back from loan but I don't see a space for them in the team