Aberdeen or Kilmarnock... - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Aberdeen or Kilmarnock...

7 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

3rd? Europe? Duh

If Celtic win the cup, both get Europe. 

As an Aberdeen fan I'm really not that bothered if we finish 3rd or 4th. 4th might be the kick up the arse mcinnes and the players need. Finishing behind a team on Killies budget is embarrassing for mcinnes.

Injuries and a shite transfer window haven't helped AFC this season but thats no excuse as we have a bigger budget and squad compared to Killie. I think Killie will get 3rd.

I'd also add I want hearts to win the cup. I know this is at the cost of European football for Aberdeen but realistically Aberdeen will be out before the schools go back and Scottish football doesn't need another Celtic treble 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Finishing behind a team on Killies budget is embarrassing for mcinnes.

It really isn't embarrassing. It might be disappointing and a very poor season but it isn't embarrassing. You do Killie a disservice and it's not like the budget difference is as significant as the one between Celtic and Aberdeen for example.

Edited by wee-toon-red

Being an Aberdeen fan, I would always want them in Europe whether they only get a couple of rounds or not. I would think supporters of any club would want the best for there team. Could be close for third but Killie may shade it.

3 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

It really isn't embarrassing. It might be disappointing and a very poor season but it isn't embarrassing. You do Killie a disservice and it's not like the budget difference is as significant as the one between Celtic and Aberdeen for example.

Theres a huge difference between killie and Aberdeenbudgets, look it up if you want. I've not done anyone a disservice, they've done brilliantly against teams with much better resources. 

2 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Being an Aberdeen fan, I would always want them in Europe whether they only get a couple of rounds or not. I would think supporters of any club would want the best for there team. Could be close for third but Killie may shade it.

It's a very thin line between me wanting a Celtic win or a hearts win. I'm looking at the bigger picture, I think Aberdeen as a club need a rocket up their asa to improve and I really dont think a treble treble is good for Scottish football. 

It's a win win as far as I'm concerned, if Aberdeen wanted to guarantee European football they should have played better at pittodrie during the season. If they did they would have sewn up Europe instead of hoping celtic get a clean sweep again.

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

It's a very thin line between me wanting a Celtic win or a hearts win. I'm looking at the bigger picture, I think Aberdeen as a club need a rocket up their asa to improve and I really dont think a treble treble is good for Scottish football. 

It's a win win as far as I'm concerned, if Aberdeen wanted to guarantee European football they should have played better at pittodrie during the season. If they did they would have sewn up Europe instead of hoping celtic get a clean sweep again.

Totally agree ,but they will never spend big under the current chairman, recruitment apart from maybe Ferguson was very poor and now having a few key players out injured really shows the squad is not very strong. Sad to say I think Rangers are the only team who will get near Celtic in the league next season, though would love to be wrong.

5 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Totally agree ,but they will never spend big under the current chairman, recruitment apart from maybe Ferguson was very poor and now having a few key players out injured really shows the squad is not very strong. Sad to say I think Rangers are the only team who will get near Celtic in the league next season, though would love to be wrong.

Sadly I agree, Scottish football will be "back" 

40 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

I would disagree.

I don’t think Rangers will get close to Celtic either.

In fact, presuming Rangers don’t get such luck with the draw, they will be out of Europe in the qualifiers and Gerrard will be under pressure when they lose to Celtic at Ibrox in September....

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I would disagree.

In fact, presuming Rangers don’t get such luck with the draw, they will be out of Europe in the qualifiers and Gerrard will be under pressure when they lose to Celtic at Ibrox in September....

So you think somebody else will be runners up to Celtic rather than Rangers?

Edited by robbo cop

6 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Some of SAFs recruitment lesser lights; dubious 

Ian Porteous

Tommy Mcqueen

Steve Cowan ( was a rumour he babysat the kids so kept on... )

final signing was 

Davie Dodds....

Brian Mitchell was promoted from young team ; steady enough guy but not same quality as he was replacing

i felt the same about Grant & Irvine ; but indeed they had tough acts to follow and had long careers ; Grant never really showed he had that winning mentality tho ; more all round good guy

Obviously the positive signing eclipse all this ; but he did have his “Ralph Milne” moments at Dons too

while am at it ; paul wright was never good enough at the top level ; he persisted with him when we were lacking quality up front

10 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I would disagree.

What luck did we get with the Europa draw ? Also whilst losing to Celtic put any manager under pressure its dropping 12 points in our first 10 games that cost us this season. 

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

What luck did we get with the Europa draw ? Also whilst losing to Celtic put any manager under pressure its dropping 12 points in our first 10 games that cost us this season. 

You’re absolutely kidding yourself if you don’t believe Rangers were pretty fortunate with the path they got to the group stages. I’m sure plenty other Scottish clubs would’ve still struggled mind you.

Just as an example that Icelandic mob that knocked out motherwell beat Lech Poznan in the next round, then went out to inter Milan.

My point being that a start like last season without the European run will see him under pressure.

25 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Rangers will finish second more than likely, but they won’t get near Celtic.

I think a lot of that will depend on who gets the Celtic manager's job full time.  If it was Rogers or a manager of similar calibre then I'd agree.  Lennon, I'm not so sure.  I don't think he's better than average as a manager anyway and I'm not convinced that he'll be able to handle the pressure that will be on him to equal nine in a row, he's far too unstable a character.

I think Aberdeen will finish 3rd as their fixtures are slightly kinder. 

16 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I would disagree.

Gerrard gave himself a lot of breathing space with a good Europa League run.  He'll do well to match that again.

Celtic have a lot of work to do in the summer.  We need a new manager and that can always end in a way you might not expect.  Player-wise we are likely to lose Gamboa, Lustig, Toljan, Boyata, Benkovik, Izaguirre, Burke and Weah for nothing.  3 or 4 of them would be in our strongest XI.  We may well sell key players - we usually lose at least one a season that we'd like to keep. 

The new manager, whoever it may be, will have a big job to do and we only have around 2 months from now until the CL qualifiers start.  

I'd still expect us to win the league next season but this might be our weakest starting position for a good few years.

2 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think Aberdeen will finish 3rd as their fixtures are slightly kinder. 

Gerrard gave himself a lot of breathing space with a good Europa League run.  He'll do well to match that again.

Celtic have a lot of work to do in the summer.  We need a new manager and that can always end in a way you might not expect.  Player-wise we are likely to lose Gamboa, Lustig, Toljan, Boyata, Benkovik, Izaguirre, Burke and Weah for nothing.  3 or 4 of them would be in our strongest XI.  We may well sell key players - we usually lose at least one a season that we'd like to keep. 

The new manager, whoever it may be, will have a big job to do and we only have around 2 months from now until the CL qualifiers start.  

I'd still expect us to win the league next season but this might be our weakest starting position for a good few years.

I agree, the new manager recruitment being a shambles is the best hope for all of us. I think Lennon would probably get the job done, but isn’t particularly inspiring based on his current audition.

A new manager is going to want to freshen up the squad, so the departures will make way for some fresh blood.

Celtic already have decent depth, although not in every position and presuming player recruitment isn’t also a disaster, Celtic will walk the league again. They could probably manage it with what they’ll have left of the current squad. Would Ralston be a downgrade on Lustig for example?