Stevie Chalmers - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Very sad news, heard he'd been in a bad way but that's an unbelievable coincidence so soon after Billy McNeill's passing.

As well as the famous goal in Lisbon he also shares the distinction with David Narey as the only men to give Scotland the lead against Brazil.

Sadly, for those of a certain age, this is going to be increasingly common for all our past heroes in the next few years

Life stinks in the main

I hadn’t remembered he had scored the winner. I feel it’s a fact I must’ve known at some point? If you’d asked me, I’d have said Tommy Gemmell scored the winner and Bobby Lennox got the other.

Obviously don’t “know my history”.

Decent innings, but horrible way to finish off your days.

22 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I hadn’t remembered he had scored the winner. I feel it’s a fact I must’ve known at some point? If you’d asked me, I’d have said Tommy Gemmell scored the winner and Bobby Lennox got the other.

The one that I'll find strange when he passes will be Lennox.

Known him to talk to and say hello to since I was a wee kid. See him all the time as he stays over the back from my parents in Saltcoats.

A more humble man you couldn't hope to meet. Was delighted for him when he got the statue in his honour in front of the town hall and Bobby's Bar.

27 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

At the end, neither did he.

Too soon? :ph34r:

Might be worth getting yourself tested?

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Sadly, for those of a certain age, this is going to be increasingly common for all our past heroes in the next few years

Life stinks in the main

Very true Ally. I've been looking at some old games since Billy McNeill died and thinking about how old my heroes are now. 

Keep forgetting how old I actually am. 

Very sad news that another legendary Scottish player has gone. Imagine what a player like him would be worth these days. 

5 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Very true Ally. I've been looking at some old games since Billy McNeill died and thinking about how old my heroes are now. 

Keep forgetting how old I actually am. 

Scary innit?  When I was at school the Wembley Wizards of 1928 were about the same vintage that the Lisbon Lions are now :o

Edited by Toepoke

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Scary innit?  When I was at school the Wembley Wizards of 1928 were about the same vintage that the Lisbon Lions are now :o

You must be just a wee bit older than me but it fairly depresses you when you think about it. 

On 4/29/2019 at 3:53 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

The one that I'll find strange when he passes will be Lennox.

Known him to talk to and say hello to since I was a wee kid. See him all the time as he stays over the back from my parents in Saltcoats.

A more humble man you couldn't hope to meet. Was delighted for him when he got the statue in his honour in front of the town hall and Bobby's Bar.

He had a long and distinguished career. Think his last game was the 1980 Scottish Cup final, 13 years after Lisbon and cuffing the English at Wembley 

21 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

He had a long and distinguished career. Think his last game was the 1980 Scottish Cup final, 13 years after Lisbon and cuffing the English at Wembley 

Aye he's the one Lisbon Lion I can remember watching play.

Players like McNeil and Chalmers are not only football greats from a great era for Scottish Football. They also represent connections with your own family and friends. These guys were household names when I was a lad. Their passing is more than a loss to football for older types. It makes you realize you are talking about memories formed from nearly 45 years ago. 

Edited by EddardStark

11 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Played in 1980 European Quarter Final vs Real Madrid too.

At that time, Celtic fielded a side with 3 lads from Saltcoats in it. Lennox, Roy Aitken and my Aunt's brother, Mark Reid.

No bad for a town of just over 10,000!

16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Transport strike AND camera men strike - the biggest game in years and hardly anyone got to see it the length and breadth of Scotland (with the exception of those that made it to the game)

The joyous days of the 70s