Youth Cup Final 2019 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Youth Cup Final 2019

SWMM82

33 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

He's said on Instagram that he's looking forward to playing for England again next season. He's now nailed his colours, hope he sticks with them.

Technically he can still switch back. He's allowed one more switch.

Personally I don't mind what he does.

1 hour ago, SWMM82 said:

Anyone doubting the improved technical ability of our young players should’ve watched this last night! 

How many of them were Scottish? And which channel was it on?

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Cool.

I'll reserve judgement on the quality, though, as it was probably like watching a volleyball match.

See what is the need for comments like that. You never even watched the match so why pass comment like that. I agree with you on a lot of things especially on how we can promote youth and bring through better players in this country but you are becoming a constant source of negativity on every single topic posted on here. That Youth Cup Final last night was something to be positive about and the fact Rangers won it with 8 Scots in their team even more so. That Rangers team also won a prestigious Youth Cup a few months ago beating a lot of top quality teams. There does appear to be a lot more technically gifted players emerging which is positive. It isn't all negative all the time. Getting these players through is the hard part and another conversation but for now it is great to see so many talented young players put on a show last night at Hampden

2 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

See what is the need for comments like that. You never even watched the match so why pass comment like that. I agree with you on a lot of things especially on how we can promote youth and bring through better players in this country but you are becoming a constant source of negativity on every single topic posted on here. That Youth Cup Final last night was something to be positive about and the fact Rangers won it with 8 Scots in their team even more so. That Rangers team also won a prestigious Youth Cup a few months ago beating a lot of top quality teams. There does appear to be a lot more technically gifted players emerging which is positive. It isn't all negative all the time. Getting these players through is the hard part and another conversation but for now it is great to see so many talented young players put on a show last night at Hampden

We've had so many false dawns and countess young players that we've pinned our hopes on, and time after time we've been let down. If this time it's different, if these kids really are the second coming then I'll be happier than anyone. Till now, though, I'll reserve judgement.

Unless teams are forced to play these kids, and kids of their ilk, it doesn't really matter. History has shown that if left to a manager's own devices, he'll go foreign and leave their homegrown players to either quit the game or stew away on the outskirts of things. 

Others may be cautiously optimistic, I'm just pessimistic. 

4 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

Anyone doubting the improved technical ability of our young players should’ve watched this last night! 

Hugely enjoyable game.....just wish Dembele had stuck with Scotland!

I must say I was largely underwhelmed by the quality, particularly the Celtic team.  Far too many misplaced places and plenty of hopeless long-balls to nobody.

Rangers looked good at set-pieces and deserved their win. 

It was a decent match but I'm not sure I agree about the high quality.  

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I must say I was largely underwhelmed by the quality, particularly the Celtic team.  Far too many misplaced places and plenty of hopeless long-balls to nobody.

Rangers looked good at set-pieces and deserved their win. 

It was a decent match but I'm not sure I agree about the high quality.  

I think you’ve got to consider where these boys are at in terms of development, they’ve still got a lot to learn obviously..... but it is considerably better than I have seen in previous seasons. Not all of them are going to make it, but I could pick out 5 or 6 that will have a big future in the game.

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

We've had so many false dawns and countess young players that we've pinned our hopes on, and time after time we've been let down. If this time it's different, if these kids really are the second coming then I'll be happier than anyone. Till now, though, I'll reserve judgement.

Unless teams are forced to play these kids, and kids of their ilk, it doesn't really matter. History has shown that if left to a manager's own devices, he'll go foreign and leave their homegrown players to either quit the game or stew away on the outskirts of things. 

Others may be cautiously optimistic, I'm just pessimistic. 

You have completely went off track as usual. No one on this thread at all said anything like these young kids are the second coming or the players that we are all pinning our hopes on. All that was said is that a lot of the players looked technically very good and that it was a great game of football. No one said these kids are potential world beaters. 

And you haven't reserved judgement at all, you made your judgement and made comments that it was probably like watching a volleyball match without even watching the game. Maybe you should take heed off your comment and really reserve judgement until you actually see something with your own eyes before passing comment instead of posting negative drivel

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

You have completely went off track as usual. No one on this thread at all said anything like these young kids are the second coming or the players that we are all pinning our hopes on. All that was said is that a lot of the players looked technically very good and that it was a great game of football. No one said these kids are potential world beaters. 

And you haven't reserved judgement at all, you made your judgement and made comments that it was probably like watching a volleyball match without even watching the game. Maybe you should take heed off your comment and really reserve judgement until you actually see something with your own eyes before passing comment instead of posting negative drivel

People can view my opinions about formations and about how Andy Robertson or Tierney would make truly great anchormen as crazy and nutty. I welcome people engaging their brains and thinking outside the box, so I don't mind people disagreeing with me as long as they give me a cogent reason. However, in this case, the case of youth development in Scottish football, everyone ought to be on my side.

For years now the SFA and our domestic clubs have ignored their duty to aid and nurture homegrown Scottish players. This is undeniable.

So what, just because Rangers beat top clubs at youth level and because the SFA establish a few performance schools it'll make up for decades of neglect? Yeah... no. I'm not buying it. I'm not buying into the notion that our kids are actually learning the basics. I'm not buying that our kids are becoming more intelligent footballers. 

I'm just not buying it for one second.

If I'm wrong then I'll be the first one to hold my hand up and admit it. Time will tell.

My prediction is that in ten years we still haven't qualified for a finals. Our youngsters still struggle with basic skills, like control and pass, etc. And the SFA have pulled the wool over our eyes with yet another hairbrained youth scheme.

You can call it negative drivel all you like, I respect all opinions. We're through the looking glass.

Massive praise for Billy Gilmour on Twitter. 

Chelsea through to play Porto on Monday in the final. 

And yes, looks like Dembele is an England player. Seems a strange decision looking from the outside considering he’s lived 99% of his life here. Possibly gives an indication into his personality, hopefully we are better off without him. 

17 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Massive praise for Billy Gilmour on Twitter. 

Chelsea through to play Porto on Monday in the final. 

And yes, looks like Dembele is an England player. Seems a strange decision looking from the outside considering he’s lived 99% of his life here. Possibly gives an indication into his personality, hopefully we are better off without him. 

Gilmour was getting some big praise on sportsound, apparently he has his head screwed on, first into training and works his ass off.

Gilmour second half yesterday ran the show and dragged Chelsea back in to the game, their equaliser was all due to his vision, lovely ball over the defence to pick out the runner. The boy can not only spot a pass but he can execute it. I always remember Jamie Redknapp talking about Stevie Gerrard coming into the Liverpool side at a young age and the first thing he did was pick a 40 yard pass right on to the toe of someone on the opposite side of the pitch and he knew then that he was a player. Gilmour has this in his locker. He picks passes without even thinking about it. He can play short passes in between the lines but also plays those long field passes us as fans see every game but some players just aren't capable of pulling it off. He sees them and he can execute them, and that is at 17. He looks a real talent. 

Gilmour will be 18 in June. If he gets a loan to play first team football he should probably be in our first team. Regarding the Youth Cup final, i though it was a scrappy but good game with some good technique on display. McPake with the number 11 shirt was very reminiscent of Laudrup. A big lad able to glide past players. Mebude looks like a very dangerous player, also. Dembele has tremendous awareness and technique and it will be a blow if chooses England.

18 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

looks like Dembele is an England player. Seems a strange decision looking from the outside considering he’s lived 99% of his life here. Possibly gives an indication into his personality, hopefully we are better off without him. 

He's lived all his life in Glasgow (apart from the first few weeks), to an Ivorian family (even his brother said it would be his dream to play together for the Ivory Coast). He also went to a Glasgow, Catholic school, where I can't imagine there being too many England fans to influence his decision. This smacks of agent advice about potential earnings rather than being a dye-in-the-wool Englishman.

According to the papers the other day, quite a few Celtic fans were supposedly going onto Celtic Twitter to agree with his decision to choose England, which is strange as they must realise, this will accelerate him leaving for an English club. Some of their coaches must be onto him already to get down south as he won't have a chance of full honours playing in the SPL

3 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

He's lived all his life in Glasgow (apart from the first few weeks), to an Ivorian family (even his brother said it would be his dream to play together for the Ivory Coast). He also went to a Glasgow, Catholic school, where I can't imagine there being too many England fans to influence his decision. This smacks of agent advice about potential earnings rather than being a dye-in-the-wool Englishman.

According to the papers the other day, quite a few Celtic fans were supposedly going onto Celtic Twitter to agree with his decision to choose England, which is strange as they must realise, this will accelerate him leaving for an English club. Some of their coaches must be onto him already to get down south as he won't have a chance of full honours playing in the SPL

I quite agree. Foreign youth players won’t hang around in the SPFL for long if they are any good and therefore my interest in their careers is zero. If Dembele fully commits to England I will delete him from my brain. I think the Rangers right back, Paterson,  is a Canadian youth international but also eligible for Scotland. He was another standout. 

11 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Yeah McPake, Mebude and Kennedy the standouts for Rangers. Dembele showed in flashes the talent he has, so comfortable on the ball, Cameron Harper looked dangerous also. 

Harper a USA player but his name might suggest a link with Scotland. Terrific pace and movement, I thought. 

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Gilmour will be 18 in June. If he gets a loan to play first team football he should probably be in our first team. Regarding the Youth Cup final, i though it was a scrappy but good game with some good technique on display. McPake with the number 11 shirt was very reminiscent of Laudrup. A big lad able to glide past players. Mebude looks like a very dangerous player, also. Dembele has tremendous awareness and technique and it will be a blow if chooses England.

Once Gilmour has about 10 senior appearances for a loan club he will probably be in the full squad.

A few of the young boys mentioned still have a year or two at that age group as well. McPake has been a standout any time I’ve seen him.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I quite agree. Foreign youth players won’t hang around in the SPFL for long if they are any good and therefore my interest in their careers is zero. If Dembele fully commits to England I will delete him from my brain. I think the Rangers right back, Paterson,  is a Canadian youth international but also eligible for Scotland. He was another standout. 

Fortunately i got this wrong, Patterson is a Scotland youth international. He looks a terrific prospect at RB.