Andrew Robertson - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andrew Robertson

Chripper

think a few need to take there saltire coloured sunglasses off...

again his "good crosses" were the equivalent of one of those saves a keeper makes now again for the cameras, Look great but basically a waste.

No one scored from the 2 crosses that looked great, in fact no liverpool player as anywhere near getting on the end of them. They were a hit and hope, rather than an actual pass to anyone is his team.

He's good and Scotland need more like him at that level, but that was a truly awful game that no one came out with any credit with.

Also a plus for Scotland is the snide side he seems to have developed at Liverpool. Thats two deliberate slaps to opponents face / head he has got away with in the semi and the final.

Going to need the same fight against Belgium etc.

Edited by The Golden Vision

19 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Haha some statement for winning  arguably the biggest prize in the game 

Yeah I suppose so ..guess it just reflects my personal opinion on the Champions League as a whole though. As you say arguably is the key word.

Its a cup competition, so knock out when it gets to the business end. You can't tell me if Spurs had won, they were the better team on the night, that they would have the right to say they are the best team in Europe?

Even Liverpool who are closer to making a claim for that title, aren't even the best team in their own league and haven't been for close to 30 years.

So it is only the biggest prize for like 6 clubs that even have a hope of winning it. To the rest of every day football fans, its over hyped as the ultimate prize.

In fact, arguably, one of the clubs set up to win it and may well do in the next few years. There fans actively boycott UEFA run games in significant numbers and could care less

about the CL. 

apologies for derailing the thread. point is its easier to get the CL final than win other competitions so dont agree its the biggest prize.

Edited by The Golden Vision

1 hour ago, The Golden Vision said:

Yeah I suppose so ..guess it just reflects my personal opinion on the Champions League as a whole though. As you say arguably is the key word.

Its a cup competition, so knock out when it gets to the business end. You can't tell me if Spurs had won, they were the better team on the night, that they would have the right to say they are the best team in Europe?

Even Liverpool who are closer to making a claim for that title, aren't even the best team in their own league and haven't been for close to 30 years.

So it is only the biggest prize for like 6 clubs that even have a hope of winning it. To the rest of every day football fans, its over hyped as the ultimate prize.

In fact, arguably, one of the clubs set up to win it and may well do in the next few years. There fans actively boycott UEFA run games in significant numbers and could care less

about the CL. 

apologies for derailing the thread. point is its easier to get the CL final than win other competitions so dont agree its the biggest prize.

I don’t think we have vastly different opinions on the CL, although more than 6 teams were capable of winning it this year I think. 

The fact 4 teams qualify from top leagues has definitely devalued winning it but still a great achievement for Liverpool and Robertson. 

Agreed, as I say we need more players playing at that level. Robertson is an example to all young Scottish footballers.

The always excellent David Squires nailed the Farage Final in his Guardian piece Six Six Six

Farage Final as it was "Something awful inflicted on Europe by England"  and its not often you see Queens Park quoted anywhere.

51 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I don’t think we have vastly different opinions on the CL, although more than 6 teams were capable of winning it this year I think. 

The fact 4 teams qualify from top leagues has definitely devalued winning it but still a great achievement for Liverpool and Robertson. 

It's a harder competition to win these days imo. Your 4th place teams in England and Spain are far better than your champions of most European countries. The old European cup format had your champions playing rubbish teams from small countries in the early rounds and it was only til the quarter finals that usually you would face a decent side. I personally don't agree with the bigger countries having so many places but I wouldn't want to go back to old format either. I would prefer if they expanded the amount of groups in the champs league therefore your big clubs from smaller countries can get into more often like Celtic etc.

2 hours ago, The Golden Vision said:

about the CL. 

The fact that it's only obtainable for a handful of clubs is why it's the pinnacle of club football. You basically don't have a chance unless you are a top club in Europe. This for most part has always been the case. Ok you get exceptions every now and then but the champs league is defo the pinnacle imo and just because it's only realistically obtainable by less than ten clubs is further proof as to why it's the biggest club prize.

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's a harder competition to win these days imo. Your 4th place teams in England and Spain are far better than your champions of most European countries. The old European cup format had your champions playing rubbish teams from small countries in the early rounds and it was only til the quarter finals that usually you would face a decent side. I personally don't agree with the bigger countries having so many places but I wouldn't want to go back to old format either. I would prefer if they expanded the amount of groups in the champs league therefore your big clubs from smaller countries can get into more often like Celtic etc.

I see what you’re saying but it’s also easier to enter as you don’t need to win your league. 

29 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Completely agree...its a far harder tournament to win nowadays. Spurs for example, would wipe the floor with the champions of every European country 9 times out of 10, bar the champions of the top5.

12 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Completely agree...its a far harder tournament to win nowadays. Spurs for example, would wipe the floor with the champions of every European country 9 times out of 10, bar the champions of the top5.

Yes, but if you had to win their league in the first place they wouldn't have even been in with a chance to do that.

So whilst the standard in the last 32 is higher, it is far easier for teams like Spurs and Liverpool to get to the group stages than teams like Celtic, PSV, Salzburg and Young Boys.

If it went back to Champions only we would see better wealth distribution across Europe rather than the 10-15 super teams we now have...which will lead to a European Super League.  

While the trophy may be the same cup with the big ears, the European Cup and Champions League are two completely different tournaments.

It's probably true that the overall quality in the Champions League is higher than in the European Cup, given that there are more teams from the stronger European Leagues that take part.

However, the format of the competition is stacked so that it's more difficult for a team to be eliminated and its all in the favour of the "bigger" clubs.   First of all the group stages are seeded so that barring a major upset, the "bigger" clubs are guaranteed to get to the knockout rounds.   There's no real interest until the knockout rounds for clubs with aspirations to win, essentially it's just a case of getting through the group with minimal impact on the domestic league.

Fair enough it's more difficult from the knockout rounds but then there's one less knockout round than in the old European Cup.

So basically, you've got a set of group matches that you should easily qualify from, then three rounds of knockout matches to get to the final.

However, the key difference - as has been pointed out by others - is that to actually qualify for the old European Cup, you first had to win your domestic league and that's why that competition was a whole lot harder to win than the Champions League.

The Champions League maybe the most important competition in European club football but I'm not convinced it's the most important competition for European clubs - at least those with a realistic chance of winning it.

If you asked fans of clubs in Italy, Spain, Germany or England what they'd rather win, the domestic league or the European Cup, I'm pretty sure that most would say the league.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

The Champions League maybe the most important competition in European club football but I'm not convinced it's the most important competition for European clubs - at least those with a realistic chance of winning it. 

If you asked fans of clubs in Italy, Spain, Germany or England what they'd rather win, the domestic league or the European Cup, I'm pretty sure that most would say the league.

Think it depends.

Man City would tell you they want to win the Champions League.
Liverpool will tell you they want to win the League.

All a matter of perspective.

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

Id think most would say the opposite.

Just now, andyD said:

Think it depends.

Well Pep Guardiola was pretty clear at the start of the season that the league was their focus.  I'll give you that but only because City have never won the Champions League but have won the EPL a few times in recent years.  If they actually won it, I'm sure they'd change their tune.   Chelsea fans, for example, would much rather win the League.  

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Chelsea fans, for example, would much rather win the League.  

Aye, because Chelsea fans seem to be all consumed by domestic bragging rights. 😮
Arsenal probably would rather win the Champions League, as they've come to accept they'll never win the league again. :D
Man Utd probably want to win the League because it would mean they'd returned to consistently producing quality which has been their downfall in recent years.

6 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Id think most would say the opposite.

For sure. How many league titles do rangers have and how many European cups. For any successful team in any league ECs are hens teeth in comparison to league titles.

4 minutes ago, andyD said:

Aye, because Chelsea fans seem to be all consumed by domestic bragging rights. 😮
Arsenal probably would rather win the Champions League, as they've come to accept they'll never win the league again. :D
Man Utd probably want to win the League because it would mean they'd returned to consistently producing quality which has been their downfall in recent years.

Thankfully Arsenal look unlikely to win either for the foreseeable future, when they were in their pomp under Wenger they'd probably have coveted the CL but that's because they were in a similar position to where Man City are now having never won it.

Until the latter stages there is very limited interest in the Champions League in England 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Well Pep Guardiola was pretty clear at the start of the season that the league was their focus.  I'll give you that but only because City have never won the Champions League but have won the EPL a few times in recent years.  If they actually won it, I'm sure they'd change their tune.   Chelsea fans, for example, would much rather win the League.  

Spurs fans would like to win something, anything even.

37 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Spurs fans would like to win something, anything even.

As a friend of mine once said to me.   It's lucky for Spurs when the year ends in one.  Well the year also needs to start in one, so by that reckoning it'll be another 8000 years before Spurs with anything, and that still won't be long enough.

14 hours ago, andyD said:

Think it depends.

As I alluded to early, Man CIty as a club (Owners, Manager, players)  would now priorities the CL.

But there everday fan / season ticket holder its not the priority and never will be, such is there disdain for UEFA. 

To 95% of football fans (talking all levels here) Its not a competition that gets them excited.

The CL Final is like the Grand National. leading up to it is mainly Press, glory hunters coming out the woodwork and for people that don't normally watch a game. The rest of the year they ignore it.

1 hour ago, The Golden Vision said:

As I alluded to early, Man CIty as a club (Owners, Manager, players)  would now priorities the CL.

But there everday fan / season ticket holder its not the priority and never will be, such is there disdain for UEFA. 

To 95% of football fans (talking all levels here) Its not a competition that gets them excited.

The CL Final is like the Grand National. leading up to it is mainly Press, glory hunters coming out the woodwork and for people that don't normally watch a game. The rest of the year they ignore it.

95% of made-up stats are complete nonsense. 

• 3 months later...