Andrew Robertson - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andrew Robertson

Chripper

On 5/7/2019 at 9:08 AM, andyD said:

Don't know if i'm alone, but I've felt like his performances for Scotland have been less good since he's had the armband. As if trying to pay attention to captainy things has taken focus off his own duties somewhat.

For other options..
McKenna's worn the armband for Aberdeen on occasion.
Souttar's captained Hearts regularly.
McGregor's captained Celtic a couple of times in Brown's absence.
I like the idea of Armstrong, given how consistent he is, good example for the rest.

Personally I'd probably go with McKenna for now. He's pretty much a nailed on starter and seems like he wouldn't be overburdened by it.

I have to agree. After the fiasco in Astana the lack of organisation was highlighted with many pundits saying there was no leaders on the park.

Robertson was rightly welcomed back into the side a few days later in Serevalle and, frankly, made not one iota of a difference to the performance.

On 5/7/2019 at 9:08 AM, andyD said:

Don't know if i'm alone, but I've felt like his performances for Scotland have been less good since he's had the armband. As if trying to pay attention to captainy things has taken focus off his own duties somewhat.

For other options..
McKenna's worn the armband for Aberdeen on occasion.
Souttar's captained Hearts regularly.
McGregor's captained Celtic a couple of times in Brown's absence.
I like the idea of Armstrong, given how consistent he is, good example for the rest.

Personally I'd probably go with McKenna for now. He's pretty much a nailed on starter and seems like he wouldn't be overburdened by it.

I'm a huge Robertson fan, but definitely thought he was an odd choice for captain. Not only does his character seem not quite suited to leadership (yet: he may grow into it), but it further complicates the whole Robertson vs Tierney headache that faces every Scotland manager for the next decade. What happens if Robertson loses his Liverpool place or his form dips while Tierney performing well as left-back for Arsenal or Atletico or whatever? Dropping the captain seems potentially messier than just making a judgement on full-back. I also thought that making him captain had the potential to disillusion Tierney, since it makes it all but certain that he won't play left back while Robertson is fit. Maybe we're seeing a bit of that with Tierney's recent run of unavailability.

Character-wise, I think the obvious stand out for captain is actually Tierney. But then the national captain should be someone who starts every game (this is different to domestic football, where you can have a club-captain who can be more active off the pitch - like a Kompany type figure), and we don't have many of those.

For what it's worth, at the time I would have suggested that the captaincy be shared between Gordon and McGregor, with whoever starts of those two taking the armband. But in hindsight that solution wouldn't have lasted very long...

Really don't think fullback is a position to have your captain in, just too far away from other areas of the pitch and it has taken away from his performance I would say.

Hard to change your captain, about the only way you can justify it without knocking the player is with a change of management. 

21 minutes ago, Meagaidh said:

I'm a huge Robertson fan, but definitely thought he was an odd choice for captain. Not only does his character seem not quite suited to leadership (yet: he may grow into it), but it further complicates the whole Robertson vs Tierney headache that faces every Scotland manager for the next decade. What happens if Robertson loses his Liverpool place or his form dips while Tierney performing well as left-back for Arsenal or Atletico or whatever? Dropping the captain seems potentially messier than just making a judgement on full-back. I also thought that making him captain had the potential to disillusion Tierney, since it makes it all but certain that he won't play left back while Robertson is fit. Maybe we're seeing a bit of that with Tierney's recent run of unavailability.

Character-wise, I think the obvious stand out for captain is actually Tierney. But then the national captain should be someone who starts every game (this is different to domestic football, where you can have a club-captain who can be more active off the pitch - like a Kompany type figure), and we don't have many of those.

For what it's worth, at the time I would have suggested that the captaincy be shared between Gordon and McGregor, with whoever starts of those two taking the armband. But in hindsight that solution wouldn't have lasted very long...

So....clearly Robertson is the best left-back we have, but you wouldn't have given him the captains armband for fear of upsetting Kieran fucking Tierney?

Good leaders lead by example, and there is currently no better example of what a young Scottish footballer can achieve with hard work and determination than Robbo. I think we'll see him learn how to be a great captain just like he has learned how to do everything else that has been asked of him. 

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Tremendous read indeed !!

Noted they also mentioned Charlie Nicholas, he really, really should have gone down as one of our most prolific & naturally talented footballers of all time, he had absolutely everything (apart from a brain / good advisers) ......and i say this as no Celtic fan.

20 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Really don't think fullback is a position to have your captain in, just too far away from other areas of the pitch and it has taken away from his performance I would say.

Hard to change your captain, about the only way you can justify it without knocking the player is with a change of management. 

Lahm! 

For me the captain sets a standard in terms of attitude, commitment and training etc and Robertson does that without a doubt. It's not about making on the pitch calls for change of shape or shouting the odds. There should be a few vocal players in every team, regardless of experience. 

53 minutes ago, RightPeg said:

For me the captain sets a standard in terms of attitude, commitment and training etc and Robertson does that without a doubt. It's not about making on the pitch calls for change of shape or shouting the odds. There should be a few vocal players in every team, regardless of experience. 

Exactly. 

13 hours ago, RightPeg said:

With all due respect I'd disagree.

I totally agree with your first part but I think the captain can/should be key ON the pitch as well.

There should be others too but the captain should be the main leader on the pitch too.

Robbo is brilliant and I'm a huge fan, but I agree with some earlier posts in that I'm not sure if the captaincy has affected his performances and if someone else should be captain.

Imagine for a second it was the champions league final between two spanish teams and the England captain was one of the best players on the pitch. How many times would the commentators have been speaking about 'The England Captain'. 

Not once did they mention that Robbo is the Scotland captain. First scottish captain since... to win the european cup would have been nice. Even a wee shout out from queens park and Tannadice to Madrid. 

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.