Andrew Robertson - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andrew Robertson

Chripper

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Liam Cooper the only eligible Scot in the championship team of the year.

Others that have made the team over the last few years -

• 2019 - Cooper
  • 2018 - Cairney
  • 2017 - Cairney
  • 2016 - Bannan, McCormack
  • 2015 - R.Martin, Ritchie
  • 2014 - Bryson, McCormack
  • 2013 - none
  • 2012 - Phillips
  • 2011 - none
  • 2010 - Dorrans, Adam

Most have been quite poor for us.

I think you have to go back to Darren Fletcher in 2010 for another Scottish player in the PL team of the year, although Robertson should have been included last season.

52 minutes ago, runningtings said:

Weirdly he is in that team as a left back and not as a defensive midfielder...

Liverpool have Keita, Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri to play in midfield.

If they had to rely on players of the ilk of Christie, McGregor, McDonald, McGinn, Fleck then I'd image that Andrew Robertson would be reimagined into an anchorman.

If he played in midfield he'd be involved a lot more than he is. And generally, in terms of football, having your better players more involved is a good thing, just ask Austria with Alaba (Full back for club, anchorman for country) or Germany with Kimmich (fullback for club, anchorman for country).

Edited by Chripper

15 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Liverpool have Keita, Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri to play in midfield.

If they had to rely on players of the ilk of Christie, McGregor, McDonald, McGinn, Fleck then I'd image that Andrew Robertson would be reimagined into an anchorman.

If he played in midfield he'd be involved a lot more than he is. And generally, in terms of football, having your better players more involved is a good thing, just ask Austria with Alaba (Full back for club, anchorman for country) or Germany with Kimmich (fullback for club, anchorman for country).

Robertson in midfield ? That's a new one ! Need to think but possibility it could work.

This is a good article about Alaba's versatility, and it also touches on Kimmich, too: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2677560-bayern-munichs-david-alaba-is-so-much-more-than-the-worlds-best-left-back

The youth academy director of Austria Vienna actually says that Alaba's best position is just behind the striker.

Robertson is easily the equal of both Kimmich and Alaba, so if anyone is genuinely suggesting that Robertson couldn't be equally as effective in midfield as he is at left back then I'd suggest that those people are underestimating how good Robertson is. 

As far as midfielders, all we have is McTominay. The rest are garbage. Moving Robertson into midfield would be a masterstroke. Let's just hope our next manager is genius enough to notice.

1 minute ago, killiefaetheferry said:

It seems obvious but nobody on here has said it.

I know.

He hasn't exactly had many stand out games for Scotland, mainly because the supply-line is not up the standard that he's used to. Moving him into midfield would involve him more and he'd make a greater influence. Imagine him and McTominay in central midfield, add a more creative spark and we'd be getting somewhere.

Plus the fact that we have Tierney, it makes more sense.

I've made this point before when it's come up but I think Tierney is the one who'd be more versatile of the two and probably closer in comparison to Alaba & Kimmich than Robertson.

Robbo's style of play better suits him being in wide areas and if he's said he's uncomfortable at wing back, then I can't imagine how he'd feel in CM.

Tierney on the other hand has comfortably played LB, RB, LM and the left side of a back 3 so could see him fit into the left side of a midfield 3 with the same ease

54 minutes ago, csinclair said:

I've made this point before when it's come up but I think Tierney is the one who'd be more versatile of the two and probably closer in comparison to Alaba & Kimmich than Robertson.

Robbo's style of play better suits him being in wide areas and if he's said he's uncomfortable at wing back, then I can't imagine how he'd feel in CM.

Tierney on the other hand has comfortably played LB, RB, LM and the left side of a back 3 so could see him fit into the left side of a midfield 3 with the same ease

Fair point. I'd like to see either of them in the anchorman position, though. 

The engine room is the most important area in a match, the reason we don't dictate matches is because our midfield is Championship standard.

18 minutes ago, aaid said:

I remember a lot of people on here when he joined Liverpool that it would be a bad move for him as he wouldn't break into the team and would never get a game.

Really?

Strange opinion as he was brilliant at Hull as well as Dundee United.

On 4/26/2019 at 11:20 AM, Chripper said:

Really?

Strange opinion as he was brilliant at Hull as well as Dundee United.

It was hardly strange at the time because we had next to zero players breaking into the top sides. Robertson bucked the trend and has been great. 

Edited by vanderark14

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:22 AM, vanderark14 said:

It was hardly strange at the time because we had next to zero players breaking into the top sides. Robertson bucked the trend and has been great. 

Thinking back, wasn't it the common consensus that he's make it? I wasn't registered here at the time so I don't know.

Personally, I knew he'd make it at Liverpool. He's faced and beaten ever single challenge that he's had in his professional life. I knew this would be no different.

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

Thinking back, wasn't it the common consensus that he's make it? I wasn't registered here at the time so I don't know.

Personally, I knew he'd make it at Liverpool. He's faced and beaten ever single challenge that he's had in his professional life. I knew this would be no different.

Congratulations 

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

Posted this over three years ago and got no replies

He was in the championship then but his stats were ludicrous. 

A year ad a half ago and we couldn't decide if he would be better used at left mid with Teirney left back as he wasn't even established in the Liverpool team then. 

Would say that the majority thought he was good enough to take his chance once it arose and every one knew he was too good for Hull

26 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Congratulations 

You like me, don't you?

26 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Posted this over three years ago and got no replies

He was in the championship then but his stats were ludicrous. 

A year ad a half ago and we couldn't decide if he would be better used at left mid with Teirney left back as he wasn't even established in the Liverpool team then. 

Would say that the majority thought he was good enough to take his chance once it arose and every one knew he was too good for Hull

Thanks for that.

You know, the only thing that separated the three really good players of that Dundee United team (Gauld, Robertson and Armstrong) is that Robertson was pretty much the only one who faced adversary and had to take a step back to take two forward. I think it's his mental strength that sets him apart from most Scottish players.

I do think we should move either him or Tierney into the anchorman position. I'd trust them in midfield more than I would Christie, McGregor, McGinn, etc.

14 hours ago, Chripper said:

I do think we should move either him or Tierney into the anchorman position. I'd trust them in midfield more than I would Christie, McGregor, McGinn, etc.

Christie's essentially a number 10, and a good one.. a position we don't really have any one else to play, except perhaps Snodgrass.
Comparing him to a holding midfielder is a bizarre thing to do, but it is you, so i shouldn't be surprised.

I highly doubt Robertson would want to play defensive mid. He's a left back for a team at the peak of club football. He likes being a left back. He probably wants to focus on being a left back. Also, when we have a world class player it's probably best to use them in the position where they're world class, not try and convert them into being mediocre at something else. It's just a foolish idea.

The idea that our midfielders are all awful is equally silly. McTominay seems to obviously be a step above at the moment, but Armstrong's not had a bad season by any means. Despite niggling injuries, he's made 31 appearances for Southampton and scored 4 goals. He's not looked out of his depth at all at EPL level and is still one of the most consistent performers in a Scotland shirt. Even when we're awful he's generally ok.

A midfield 5 of: Fraser, Armstrong, Christie, McTominay, Forrest
It's a good midfield.

Our problems come when our first choice players aren't available. And that's not something to be solved by shunting left backs into midfield.

49 minutes ago, andyD said:

Christie's essentially a number 10, and a good one.. a position we don't really have any one else to play, except perhaps Snodgrass.
Comparing him to a holding midfielder is a bizarre thing to do, but it is you, so i shouldn't be surprised.

I highly doubt Robertson would want to play defensive mid. He's a left back for a team at the peak of club football. He likes being a left back. He probably wants to focus on being a left back. Also, when we have a world class player it's probably best to use them in the position where they're world class, not try and convert them into being mediocre at something else. It's just a foolish idea.

The idea that our midfielders are all awful is equally silly. McTominay seems to obviously be a step above at the moment, but Armstrong's not had a bad season by any means. Despite niggling injuries, he's made 31 appearances for Southampton and scored 4 goals. He's not looked out of his depth at all at EPL level and is still one of the most consistent performers in a Scotland shirt. Even when we're awful he's generally ok.

A midfield 5 of: Fraser, Armstrong, Christie, McTominay, Forrest
It's a good midfield.

Our problems come when our first choice players aren't available. And that's not something to be solved by shunting left backs into midfield.

I think Turnbull is another contender. I can’t see that he’ll be at Motherwell by the close of the next transfer window. He does appear to have a bit of everything; power, skill, awareness and a belter of a shot. It will be interesting to see how his career progresses. 

14 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think Turnbull is another contender. I can’t see that he’ll be at Motherwell by the close of the next transfer window. He does appear to have a bit of everything; power, skill, awareness and a belter of a shot. It will be interesting to see how his career progresses. 

The boy has the lot...I'd be very surprised if he's still at Motherwell beyond the Summer, we've got three games left to enjoy watching him, in my opinion