Billy McNeill - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

It’s just a shame people always have to overdo it with the cliches and end with the line “from a rangers man” when leaving their condolences. It’s as if they’re looking for some acceptance for showing a wee bit of human compassion 

Edited by UpTheSlope

17 hours ago, UpTheSlope said:

It’s just a shame people always have to overdo it with the cliches and end with the line “from a rangers man” when leaving their condolences. It’s as if they’re looking for some acceptance for showing a wee bit of human compassion 

Agreed. 

It's like the - ' I'm a Celtic man but I'm wishing Fernando Ricksen all the best' stuff you see 

God Bless you Billy. Had the absolute pleasure of meeting Billy in 1996. 1 was in holiday in Glasgow and my birthday present from my mates was to meet the legend himself. I walked into his pub on Victoria Street if I am correct, and Billy met me at the door. Shook my hand, then poured me a pint. We sat and chatted for nearly an hour. He signed a birthday card for me. Let me go behind the bar and get some pictures with him. I truely amazing human being. A gentleman beyond words. You will me truely missed Billy. Not only to the Celtic and Scotland family, but to world football. Gob Bless you sir, may you rest in eternal peace... YNWA....

5 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Agreed. 

It's like the - ' I'm a Celtic man but I'm wishing Fernando Ricksen all the best' stuff you see 

I don't see it like that. I see it more as a way of emphasising the fact that you don't have to be a Celtic fan to appreciate the quality of the man. 

Having said that it's also possibly just become the stock phrase and folk think it's expected of them. 

5 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

God Bless you Billy. Had the absolute pleasure of meeting Billy in 1996. 1 was in holiday in Glasgow and my birthday present from my mates was to meet the legend himself. I walked into his pub on Victoria Street if I am correct, and Billy met me at the door. Shook my hand, then poured me a pint. We sat and chatted for nearly an hour. He signed a birthday card for me. Let me go behind the bar and get some pictures with him. I truely amazing human being. A gentleman beyond words. You will me truely missed Billy. Not only to the Celtic and Scotland family, but to world football. Gob Bless you sir, may you rest in eternal peace... YNWA....

The great man's boozer was in Torrisdale Street in Queens Park. Think McNeills is still on the go although he gave up the pub game a long while back

9 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

The great man's boozer was in Torrisdale Street in Queens Park. Think McNeills is still on the go although he gave up the pub game a long while back

Indeed it is and has been our post match pub of choice for a good few years now.  It used to be packed with loads of memorabilia including a surfboard that always cracked me up.  Presented to him by the Los Angeles Celtic Supporters  

I was reminded this week of something that captures the fact that he had time for everyone.   In October 1999 we played Lithuania at home on a Saturday, it was the last game of the campaign and we could finish nothing other than second and were guaranteed a play off spot, you literally couldn't give tickets away, the crowd was 20-odd thousand.

We went in before the game for a change and it was pretty quiet, no more than a dozen or so punters in.  We had a couple of English mates up from London for the weekend.    Billy was working behind the bar and as it was one of the English guys round, we said to him "Here's you chance to get served by a guy whose lifted the European Cup"

He ordered the round up and Billy said to him "Are you English son?"  Mike was a bit taken aback and said "err, Yes"  half expecting to get thrown out.   McNeill then produced a fixed odds coupon, said "can you help me with some of these matches" and they spent the next five minutes discussing lower league English matches. 

Nearly became Scotland manager after World Cup 1986. He was asked by the SFA if he wanted to be considered and he said yes. They then never got back to him.

He was also 1/4 Lithuanian.

That's Ronnie Simpson, Tommy Gemmell, Bobby Murdoch, JImmy Johnstone, Joe McBride, Willie O'Neill and Billy McNeill now gone from the 1967 European Cup Winning squad. 

7 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That's Ronnie Simpson, Tommy Gemmell, Bobby Murdoch, JImmy Johnstone, Joe McBride, Willie O'Neill and Billy McNeill now gone from the 1967 European Cup Winning squad. 

And sadly Stevie Chalmers has had the same condition as Billy McNeill for at least 2 years

10 minutes ago, Catchart Circle said:

Bobby Lennox was conspicuous by his absence in in all the tributes that I saw. 

Hopefully he is still in good health.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/4158259/celtic-billy-mcneill-death-bobby-lennox-lisbon-lion-tribute/

17 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Minutes applause before our game at home to Falkirk tomorrow. Not often a fan of some of the slightly random minutes silence/applause these days but this one is fully deserved. 👍

Agreed, without wanting to sound heartless, the spirit of them has been slightly taken away by all the applauses that are held before and during games. I get that people want to show some respect,  it it seems nowadays that people are organising these amongst themselves and the rest have no idea what’s going on. 

This weekend is for an absolute legend of Scottish football and is very deserving. 

6 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Agreed, without wanting to sound heartless, the spirit of them has been slightly taken away by all the applauses that are held before and during games. I get that people want to show some respect,  it it seems nowadays that people are organising these amongst themselves and the rest have no idea what’s going on. 

This weekend is for an absolute legend of Scottish football and is very deserving. 

These requests, usually done on Facebook, with people requesting we clap on a certain minute for a dead loved one make me very uncomfortable.

There's one pretty much every home game for a Celtic fan given the size of our support. Bring an RIP banner or whatever by all means if you really feel the need but don't ask strangers to stand and clap like robots without really knowing why. 

That's just the way of the world now with social media, I suppose.

16 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

These requests, usually done on Facebook, with people requesting we clap on a certain minute for a dead loved one make me very uncomfortable.

There's one pretty much every home game for a Celtic fan given the size of our support. Bring an RIP banner or whatever by all means if you really feel the need but don't ask strangers to stand and clap like robots without really knowing why. 

That's just the way of the world now with social media, I suppose.

Exactly this. I think it was the Scottish cup final in 2017 that there was messages on Facebook for 4 separate applauses, that was just for Aberdeen supporters that had passed. 

Theres the problems that some getting recognised and others not that can cause issues too, I actually called it when the wee guy Bradley with Sunderland was getting lots of media attention and shortly after his death, another parent was in the media saying their son had a life threatening condition too and it wasn’t fair that he wasn’t being given all these chances before he passed and their one wasn’t. It was pretty disgusting to read. 

2 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I hope the Rangers fans raise the roof for him today.  I am sure they will.  Respect is what it should be all about and nobody deserves more than Billy McNeil.

Hope so. I do recall Billy was booed at the Europa League Final at Hampden (Seville V Espanol) by some of the atendees when he was introduced to the crowd pre match.

Thought that was pretty poor given the occasion although the majority applauded.