Setting up a Will - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My folks are doing a will, they’ve been told that if they set up a trustee it means that your house can’t be used to pay for care if and when you’re needed a nursing home etc. think it’s 4k to set up. 

Lots of old folk on here apparently, any advice? Cheers 

33 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

My folks are doing a will, they’ve been told that if they set up a trustee it means that your house can’t be used to pay for care if and when you’re needed a nursing home etc. think it’s 4k to set up. 

My advice would be dont go into a care home until you have not long left as personal care at home is free ....

34 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

My advice would be dont go into a care home until you have not long left as personal care at home is free ....

Yeah I think my folks would rather a one way flight to Switzerland before they went in a nursing home, having did training in one, i can see their point of view. 

I dont know the ins and outs but I was looking at a Will recently and my IFA told me  local authorities  are  really cracking down in this area and will go at great lengths to prove that the scheme was set up to avoid paying care home costs. This link would back this up, think your parents need to be very thorough and do their homework. 

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2018-01-22/legal-warning-over-trusts-promise-to-beat-care-home-fees

21 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I dont know the ins and outs but I was looking at a Will recently and my IFA told me  local authorities  are  really cracking down in this area and will go at great lengths to prove that the scheme was set up to avoid paying care home costs. This link would back this up, think your parents need to be very thorough and do their homework. 

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2018-01-22/legal-warning-over-trusts-promise-to-beat-care-home-fees

Excellent, I’ll pass that onto them 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Remember it's different in Scotland than Nazi England ..

I think it is more to do with unscrupulous sales people or lawyers taking large fees whilst promising a way to avoid care home fees without pointing out the downsides. I doubt these people are specific to England  .

I imagine Trusts are a good way of protecting your home so long as you know the potential challenges you may encounter and do everything to ensure the reasons for placing your home in a Trust look valid. 

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

why don't they just gift the home just now to children and take the chances that they don;t need to go into care home next few years, where upon it will become a exempt transfer ?

16 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

I really don't know the details, so winging it with these comments

But i think if you are 5-7 years down the line then should be ok  

Me neither ! 

I think the 7 years relates to Inheritance Tax when you die, not care home costs.

I think the local authorities can chase you at any time if they think you have transferred your property deliberately to get out of care home costs.  

You are better of just dying ...🙄 

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Me neither ! 

I think the 7 years relates to Inheritance Tax when you die, not care home costs.

I think the local authorities can chase you at any time if they think you have transferred your property deliberately to get out of care home costs.  

You are better of just dying ...🙄 

You would need to have a "legitimate reason" for the transfer and the tax planning would be a legitimate reason would be enough - even 3 years

possible reading the website you  gave - even 6 months - but that website if also prejudiced due to them looking to upsell their services

I don't think the local authorties are that smart to be chasing aged transactions, and if the parents pay a rent, there is more evidence that the xfer was final   

7 years is inheritance tax.

I look after my gran so she doesn't need to go anywhere, and we got a bit of help from the council, who installed a chair lift for her to get upstairs. Although it's technically rented it serves the purpose and is really good. Only broke down once and i was able to sort it after speaking to a guy on the phone.

also what we call the red button service which is 160 a year, she has a wrist band with a button she can push which puts her through to  monitored care line that can help her or contact me.

I'll check with my brother about the will stuff see what he knows, he's been taking tax exams for the last  years so he must know something.

5 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

I don't think the local authorties are that smart to be chasing aged transactions, and if the parents pay a rent, there is more evidence that the xfer was final   

You may be right, I really am not an expert. I just know that with councils being strapped for money they are chasing every opportunity, hence the reason you need to have a good lawyer / IFA. 

20 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You may be right, I really am not an expert. I just know that with councils being strapped for money they are chasing every opportunity, hence the reason you need to have a good lawyer / IFA. 

forget the IFA's - really are just salesmen - wouldn't take any advice from them - not so long ago a electrician/carpenter had a month's training and then was an "IFA"