Alternative manager list - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alternative manager list

bigfathagiz

6 minutes ago, Chripper said:

People might have an axe to grind with Smith and McCoist, but I don't.

Do I think players would listen to a guy who scored over 300 professional goals, including 19 for Scotland? Yes. Plus he's a likeable character, in a dressing room and out in a training field you have to have a balance between serious and fun. Look at United under Mourinho, everyone was miserable, and it showed on the park.

Not saying that all he would be is a cheerleader. One thing he knows how to do is score goals. If England can employ Alan Russell, a former Hamilton striker, I think McCoist knows a tad more about goal scoring .

And yet, Russell is coaching at the highest level and McCoist is trying to be funny on morning radio nowhere near a role in the game. I don't have an axe to grind with the likes of Smith and McCoist, I just think their time has passed and don't have a place with the national team. I've always said that Scotland hasn't got worse in the last 20yrs, we've just stood still and let the rest of the world overtake us, and continually giving the McLeish's and Smith's of this world the head coaching post of the national team is only going keep us there.

1 minute ago, stevenmcn said:

And yet, Russell is coaching at the highest level and McCoist is trying to be funny on morning radio nowhere near a role in the game. I don't have an axe to grind with the likes of Smith and McCoist, I just think their time has passed and don't have a place with the national team. I've always said that Scotland hasn't got worse in the last 20yrs, we've just stood still and let the rest of the world overtake us, and continually giving the McLeish's and Smith's of this world the head coaching post of the national team is only going keep us there.

I don't know about that, I don't listen to the radio, if it's football or otherwise.

I don't think it matters who the manager is. Do you honestly think Germany won Euro 96 because Berti Vogts was such a good manager? Germany would've won that tournament even if they were being managed by a tree stump.

The reason I'm not invested in us picking a new manager is because ultimately it's irrelevant. I don't care who gets it. They can give it to Rod Petrie for all I care. Fundamentally, Scottish football is in ruins, no manager is going to fix that.

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

I don't know about that, I don't listen to the radio, if it's football or otherwise.

I don't think it matters who the manager is. Do you honestly think Germany won Euro 96 because Berti Vogts was such a good manager? Germany would've won that tournament even if they were being managed by a tree stump.

The reason I'm not invested in us picking a new manager is because ultimately it's irrelevant. I don't care who gets it. They can give it to Rod Petrie for all I care. Fundamentally, Scottish football is in ruins, no manager is going to fix that.

I agree with your point massively, i think the manager can have a big impact but its definitely limited by the constraints to which our game finds itself in at this point in time 

7 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Think you're still hurting from Kazakstan otherwise you wouldn't bother to post here. Signs of a gradual change: Malcolm Kodepko (sp) appointed to the SFA with the more progressive Ian Maxwell - the new breed to force the Petries to change their ways. Another positive would be to allow colt teams into the SFL.

8 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Possibly, but we don't have a squad full of world class players, and so require as good a manager as possible to make the most of any strengths we do have. Surely this doesn't need explained.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Has the possible involvement  of Shuan Maloney been mentioned anywhere?

Not that I’ve heard. 

I’d be surprised if he left the Belgium set up for a job where he is likely to be sacked within a year if (when) things go tits up. 

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Think you're still hurting from Kazakstan otherwise you wouldn't bother to post here. Signs of a gradual change: Malcolm Kodepko (sp) appointed to the SFA with the more progressive Ian Maxwell - the new breed to force the Petries to change their ways. Another positive would be to allow colt teams into the SFL.

It's way beyond hurt.

Well, hopefully... let's hope that it spells change...

3 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

Possibly, but we don't have a squad full of world class players, and so require as good a manager as possible to make the most of any strengths we do have. Surely this doesn't need explained.

The SFA don't appoint good managers, or at least, good managers don't want to manage Scotland.

It's a cycle.

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

The SFA don't appoint good managers, or at least, good managers don't want to manage Scotland.

It's a cycle.

Gordon Strachan is a good manager. 

Alex McLeish, Berti Vogts, Walter Smith, George Burley, Craig Levein, Craig Brown etc were all good managers in their day. Well Levein might be stretching it a bit but everyone else was considered to be a good manager when they were appointed (the first time McLeish was given the job). They have also employed Alex Ferguson and Jock Stein in the past, albeit a long time ago, so they don’t have a history of appointing diddies to the job.

The SFA should not have employed McLeish a second time but they probably thought it was worth the risk as he was cheap and did a decent job the first time.

Top managers are probably put off the Scotland job by a few factors.

The SFA are known wanks and don’t treat people very well. They way they dealt with Souness a few years back was a disgrace and they didn’t come out of the Strachan situation smelling of roses.

A good percentage of Scotland fans are also bellends who are living in the past and still think we’re good enough to qualify for most tournaments and are quick to turn on the players and management as soon as things don’t go to plan.  

International management is still seen as a bit of a retirement home by a lot of managers as well.  

Let’s be clear here though. We do not need Alex Ferguson to come out of retirement for us to compete with teams like Kazakhstan and dominate teams like San Marino. All we need is a committed, modern, intelligent manager and a group of committed, motivated players. It’s really that simple. 

I still think we should go for  a young manager ( or new manager ) with something to prove instead of the old has been like Moyes, Souness or Lambert. a name not mentioned on here is John Kennedy. Unlikely to get the Celtic job and would probably not move anywhere else. wales have done this successfully with Mark Hughes and Giggs, and possibly Gary speed if not for his tragic passing. Kennedy could have been a 50 cap player so maybe  a chance to be a legendary manager. if not the Gemmill or Fletcher follow the same logic.

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Gordon Strachan is a good manager. 

Alex McLeish, Berti Vogts, Walter Smith, George Burley, Craig Levein, Craig Brown etc were all good managers in their day. Well Levein might be stretching it a bit but everyone else was considered to be a good manager when they were appointed (the first time McLeish was given the job). They have also employed Alex Ferguson and Jock Stein in the past, albeit a long time ago, so they don’t have a history of appointing diddies to the job.

The SFA should not have employed McLeish a second time but they probably thought it was worth the risk as he was cheap and did a decent job the first time.

Top managers are probably put off the Scotland job by a few factors.

The SFA are known wanks and don’t treat people very well. They way they dealt with Souness a few years back was a disgrace and they didn’t come out of the Strachan situation smelling of roses.

A good percentage of Scotland fans are also bellends who are living in the past and still think we’re good enough to qualify for most tournaments and are quick to turn on the players and management as soon as things don’t go to plan.  

International management is still seen as a bit of a retirement home by a lot of managers as well.  

Let’s be clear here though. We do not need Alex Ferguson to come out of retirement for us to compete with teams like Kazakhstan and dominate teams like San Marino. All we need is a committed, modern, intelligent manager and a group of committed, motivated players. It’s really that simple. 

I'll agree with Smith and Brown, but the rest were not my cup of tea. I gave them all a chance, as well as did, and McLeish did do superbly well in his first sting. As for Stein and Ferguson, I'm a little too young to remember.;) I feel Burley was a reactionary appointment, as he did well with Hearts for a brief period, and as for Levein, that was just baffling... still is.

The rest I agree with.

In the past I've had an inkling of who the SFA would appoint, but this time? I have not got one clue. I don't for one moment think they'll be progressive and appoint a foreigner, though. So it'll either be Mackay or Gemmill.

3 hours ago, Chripper said:

I'll agree with Smith and Brown, but the rest were not my cup of tea. I gave them all a chance, as well as did, and McLeish did do superbly well in his first sting. As for Stein and Ferguson, I'm a little too young to remember.;) I feel Burley was a reactionary appointment, as he did well with Hearts for a brief period, and as for Levein, that was just baffling... still is.

The rest I agree with.

In the past I've had an inkling of who the SFA would appoint, but this time? I have not got one clue. I don't for one moment think they'll be progressive and appoint a foreigner, though. So it'll either be Mackay or Gemmill.

Whether they were your cup of tea or not, they came with decent reputations. 

Most people weren’t impressed with Brown’s appointment at the time as he was Roxburgh’s assistant and didn’t exactly have a good pedigree and he’s done as well as anyone. 

Other than the ‘we don’t want a foreigner’ brigade, I seem to remember most folk bring excited by Vogts getting the job and we all know how that worked out.  

Burley had a reasonable reputation and Levein was seen as a decent young manager. Levein has proven to be anything but decent and should be nowhere near a junior team never mind the national team or a premier league team. From memory, Levein’s appointment wasn’t seen as a disaster until our first competitive game and, of course, his baffling team selection in Prague.

I don’t want MacKay but there’s nothing to say he couldn’t do a good job for us. I doubt he’ll get it though. 

Appointing a foreigner would only be progressive if it was someone good. A foreign turd is just as unpolishable as a Scottish one. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Most people weren’t impressed with Brown’s appointment at the time as he was Roxburgh’s assistant and didn’t exactly have a good pedigree and he’s done as well as anyone. 

Other than the ‘we don’t want a foreigner’ brigade, I seem to remember most folk bring excited by Vogts getting the job and we all know how that worked out.  

Burley had a reasonable reputation and Levein was seen as a decent young manager. Levein has proven to be anything but decent and should be nowhere near a junior team never mind the national team or a premier league team. From memory, Levein’s appointment wasn’t seen as a disaster until our first competitive game and, of course, his baffling team selection in Prague.

I don’t want MacKay but there’s nothing to say he couldn’t do a good job for us. I doubt he’ll get it though. 

Appointing a foreigner would only be progressive if it was someone good. A foreign turd is just as unpolishable as a Scottish one. 

Similar comments could be made about Southgate. His record in club management was limited and unimpressive. Most England fans were not very excited when he got the job but they wouldn't swap him now.

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

the majority of managers appointed may have come with decent reputations but they were in decline. Although some managers can prolong their shelf-life, it tends to be the case that for many, they ascend quickly but are then found to be unable to replicate success beyond one or two teams. we need to appoint someone who is either in the ascendency or not in decline as a manager. that would tend to rule out the majority of the candidates mentioned by the bookies. 

On 4/20/2019 at 10:45 PM, sjd1972 said:

Adam Nawalka.  

That’s no a bad shout actually. Vastly experienced international manager with a good record, although he did admit to fucking up a bit at last year’s WC after changing Poland’s style of play that had them flying through the qualifiers. 

A new manager CAN make a massive difference.

We were 88th in the world when Bertie left and Walter Smith took over.  Complete nonentities were getting a game and we looked in disarray.

The first game, in the San Siro, would have been a disaster if Bertie had stayed and although the game was eventually lost 2-0 the difference in organisation and mentality was amazing.

Smith's stock was high at the time and the support was enormous (inflated by having a new manager).

Although Smith became a wee bit defensive it was a complete turnaround and marked the start of a much better period for the national team.

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Tea is vile (apart from Chia), and the listed managers were just as unappealing: Smith was brilliant for us, I don't care what anyone says; I remember McLeish at Hibs and Motherwell and was never a fan, all he did for Scotland was enjoy playing with the foundations that Smith made for him. Burley had one brilliant season in the EPL (manager of the year) but apart from that, his career was spotty. All Levein has ever won in management is manager of the month about seven times. I wasn't a fan of Strachan getting the job, either.

As someone said, most the managers were in deep decline. 

As for Brown, I remember that most people (Including me) wanted Dalglish and was disenchanted when Brown was appointed manager. How wrong I was.

Basically, in my lifetime I've liked only two Scotland managers: Brown and Smith, and still do.

With Berti, the Euro Championship win tricked us into thinking that he was a good manager. I remember talking to a German back when we appointed him, I said "Yes, so, he won the European Championships", all he did was look at me. It didn't take long for me to break the code...

I can't see the SFA appoint anyone of note. It'll either be David Moyes, which will be falling into the trap of going for someone in decline, or Mackay or Gemmill. 

23 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

Have you seen the size of McCoist lately? I'm not sure he could get his fat arse on to a training pitch to coach anyone. 

People say some dogs look like their owners. This is what happens since McCoist started working with Alan Brazil AKA Fire Engine Face.

26 minutes ago, hamilton wanderer said:

A new manager CAN make a massive difference.

We were 88th in the world when Bertie left and Walter Smith took over.  Complete nonentities were getting a game and we looked in disarray.

The first game, in the San Siro, would have been a disaster if Bertie had stayed and although the game was eventually lost 2-0 the difference in organisation and mentality was amazing.

Smith's stock was high at the time and the support was enormous (inflated by having a new manager).

Although Smith became a wee bit defensive it was a complete turnaround and marked the start of a much better period for the national team.

We should've appointed Smith instead of Leven... and we should've appointed Souness instead of Burley. As both wanted the job.

The SFA really are idiots.

4 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

the majority of managers appointed may have come with decent reputations but they were in decline. Although some managers can prolong their shelf-life, it tends to be the case that for many, they ascend quickly but are then found to be unable to replicate success beyond one or two teams. we need to appoint someone who is either in the ascendency or not in decline as a manager. that would tend to rule out the majority of the candidates mentioned by the bookies. 

That’s how international management was then and still is to a certain extent. 

Apart from a few international specialists like Klinsmann (I know he managed Munich but vast majority of his experience is at international level) and other exceptions like Martinez, international managers are normally older managers or, in the case of Giggs and Southgate, young and inexperienced managers. 

Managers at the top of their game normally prefer the full time, day to day management of club football and the higher wages that go with it. There are some exceptions but that’s how it is in general.

I can’t see Pep Guardiola managing Spain (or an independent Catalonia?) anytime soon. If and when he does this he will probably be quite old and ‘in decline’. Same goes for Klop and Germany and most other sought after managers.