The ‘Troubles’ - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The ‘Troubles’

Would appear to have done the dissident republican cause a great deal of harm considering the political persuasion of the journalist

2 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

16 year old charged with it according to a guy I know from Derry

You might know this more than some..... My mate who moved from Cork City 20odd years ago here repeatedly tells me it’s not Derry(as I call it) but Londonderry. He is in no way a Brit admirer. Born and raised fully in Cork City. I used to think he was just being funny but I’m not so sure now. Why could this be do you think?

8 minutes ago, The Ormond said:

You might know this more than some..... My mate who moved from Cork City 20odd years ago here repeatedly tells me it’s not Derry(as I call it) but Londonderry. He is in no way a Brit admirer. Born and raised fully in Cork City. I used to think he was just being funny but I’m not so sure now. Why could this be do you think?

Strange one. I've honestly have never heard any Irishman I know call it Londonderry.

Even the huns call it Derry in their daft wee loyalist songs. Think I've only ever heard Londonderry off some posh English burd reading out the BBC news :lol:

6 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Really???? I'm sure the UDA, UVF, or any other outlawed group, won't be too happy with this. If they still exist. Just saying....

Yes, really. You said you were sure there would be retaliation.

Any particular reason you think loyalist paramilitaries are going going to care about a journalist from the nationalist community being murdered?

21 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

Yes, really. You said you were sure there would be retaliation.

Any particular reason you think loyalist paramilitaries are going going to care about a journalist from the nationalist community being murdered?

Fair point indeed. My apologies, did not realize the girl was from the Nationalist community. 

In spite of the Good Friday agreement it's never totally gone away. There does seem to have been a rise in republican violence over the last few months. Judging by witness accounts some idiot was firing indiscriminately and unfortunately one of the bullets found a target. I hope the get the idiot who did this and that the death of this young woman will not be in vain.

Still paying the price of Colonialism/Imperialism

With the likely exit of the UK from the EU and the reduction of EU workers there will surely be a gap needing filled

Why doesn't Westminster allow an Irish Unification referendum and assure everyone that wants to be British can come over and be  housed in England if it's a Yes vote ?

Would that outweigh the cost of subsidising NI year on year ?

Then they can have orange walks all over the South East of a weekend etc

(ps i'm not all that serious)

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

With the likely exit of the UK from the EU and the reduction of EU workers there will surely be a gap needing filled

Why doesn't Westminster allow an Irish Unification referendum and assure everyone that wants to be British can come over and be  housed in England if it's a Yes vote ?

Both you and I know that they'd settle in Ayrshire rather than England.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Sorry I didn't see your ps!

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

In spite of the Good Friday agreement it's never totally gone away. There does seem to have been a rise in republican violence over the last few months. Judging by witness accounts some idiot was firing indiscriminately and unfortunately one of the bullets found a target. I hope the get the idiot who did this and that the death of this young woman will not be in vain.

I suppose that although it is technically "republican violence", the difference is that this particular group have absolutely zero support from any political parties or the wider republican community. They're the same gang of hoods who are running riot on the estates dealing drugs and joyriding.

They're aren't the IRA, despite what they may call themselves. They won't be protected or hidden by their communities.

28 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

I suppose that although it is technically "republican violence", the difference is that this particular group have absolutely zero support from any political parties or the wider republican community. They're the same gang of hoods who are running riot on the estates dealing drugs and joyriding.

They're aren't the IRA, despite what they may call themselves. They won't be protected or hidden by their communities.

You're most likely correct in what you say however the problem is that the violence escalates and the security forces get more involved and then there's an incident where the security forces are out of line and then - understandably - there's sympathy in the nationalist community and we're back to where we were in 1972. 

6 hours ago, aaid said:

You're most likely correct in what you say however the problem is that the violence escalates and the security forces get more involved and then there's an incident where the security forces are out of line and then - understandably - there's sympathy in the nationalist community and we're back to where we were in 1972. 

You're alluding to Bloody Sunday, aye?

We won't be going back to the 70's, no matter how much the anti-Brexit commentariat ring their alarmist bells. Watch out for their hyperbole fella :ok:

4 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

The absolute Gammon Fest for “support soldier F’ seems like a deeply sinister factor  

Aye... that will have been noticed by the dissident kunts, and among the general Irish public. Not good.