Best Scotland manager ever - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Scotland manager ever

Hertsscot

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Lot of mccoists goals were v diddy teams ; he looked like a little boy lost against some of the better teams , and had difficulty in holding up the ball for support to bring rest of team in ; he missed 3 one on ones v yugoslavia away in 89 ; switzerland was a great goal and he had a knack of pulling spectacular goals out like that ; i questioned his work rate at international level ; different ball game to 15-20 chances a game whilst at rangers , lots of supply , weaker opposition typically

not bad ; average is what id said, just to qualify that ; and not being brainwashed by weegie media

It all depends on expectations, he wasnt maradona or cruyff. He was a good striker and an extremely good poacher. If you hold every Scotland striker to extremely high standards then we have probably never had any strikers that have performed well for Scotland barring law and maybe dalglish. Scoring against diddy nations is needed and most nations our size and ability need a striker to score against weak nations. As I said what did you expect from mccoist, 40+ goals and loads against the top nations while we are getting dominated possession and ability wise?

53 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It all depends on expectations, he wasnt maradona or cruyff. He was a good striker and an extremely good poacher. If you hold every Scotland striker to extremely high standards then we have probably never had any strikers that have performed well for Scotland barring law and maybe dalglish. Scoring against diddy nations is needed and most nations our size and ability need a striker to score against weak nations. As I said what did you expect from mccoist, 40+ goals and loads against the top nations while we are getting dominated possession and ability wise?

Maybe sums up my definition of average

40 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Perhaps you can tell me what strikers you think have played well for Scotland?

You already mentioned Law and Daglish of course

I personally preferred Durie at internatiional level 

if you want to talk purely goals to games ratio ; i recall john robertson ( hearts ) and scott booth had good scoring records ; altho i would rate them also as bang average

• 1 year later...

I remember all of them back to Willie Ormond, but it's definitely Craig Brown for me: he got us to two tournaments with a much weaker selection of players than any of his predecessors.

He would also have fostered team spirit, and, above all else, look to choose the best blend of players. If he had had the 74, 78 or 82 squads under his command at the time, we would have done better in each of those tournaments than we did with Ormond (my second choice) but Paw Broon would not have made the mistake of loyalty to Law in the first game and not playing Jimmy Johnstone in any); McLeod - he would have been prepared against the opposition, not been so loyalty to a bunch of past it former stars and recognised the defending would need to be taken more seriously and even Stein, whose blend of favouritism and media kowtowing diluted the effectiveness of a strong squad.

2 hours ago, mcnpauls said:

I remember all of them back to Willie Ormond, but it's definitely Craig Brown for me: he got us to two tournaments with a much weaker selection of players than any of his predecessors.

He would also have fostered team spirit, and, above all else, look to choose the best blend of players. If he had had the 74, 78 or 82 squads under his command at the time, we would have done better in each of those tournaments than we did with Ormond (my second choice) but Paw Broon would not have made the mistake of loyalty to Law in the first game and not playing Jimmy Johnstone in any); McLeod - he would have been prepared against the opposition, not been so loyalty to a bunch of past it former stars and recognised the defending would need to be taken more seriously and even Stein, whose blend of favouritism and media kowtowing diluted the effectiveness of a strong squad.

Ormond and MacLeod both got us to 16 team world cups, Brown never got us to the last 16 of a world cup so by default they were both better. Not to forget Brown won a total of one point in 1998.He had poorer squad but you could argue we were lucky to qualify after getting there through some best 2nd place finisher thing and therefore avoiding a play off

With out sounding pedantic Macleod was a MacLeod not a McLeod, hate this Mc shit wasn't around when I was a lad.

Just now, duncan II said:

Ramy, you know what? I agree with you. Well done.

Cheers big man. And its got nothing to do with me being a Celtic supporter.. Big Jock got the best out of his players. He was fair, he was honest, je was hard, and he had the respect from his boys.. He gave the players a belief that on and given 90 minutes, you CAN beat anyone. He was an inspiration. A man who always stood up for his players.. When big Jock was in charge, there was a belief we could beat anyone on our day. I have never felt that with any other Scottish manager in my 52 years... 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

the Selection Committee. Such longevity - about 80 years in charge - and a respectable 60% win rate over such an extended period. Hats off to them to a man. 

They had loads of good players to pick from, right enough. Their hardest job was trying to keep the Hun to Tim ratio in balance. :lol: