Best Scotland manager ever - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Scotland manager ever

Hertsscot

9 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

who was the greatest ever manager of the national side given the resources at their disposal?

Craig Brown. He got us two one world cup and one European championships (almost two if we didn't lose in the play-off to England)

He had Leighton, Colin Hendry, Lambert, Collins and McAllister, McCoist in his time. The rest of his players were average.

Can only speak about my time as a Scotland fan, Id rank them like this

1. Craig Brown
  2. Walter Smith
  3. Alex McLeish (1st edition)
  4. Gordon Strachan
  5. Berti Vogts

Burley, Levein and McLeish (2nd edition) were all equally woeful.

14 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Craig Brown. He got us two one world cup and one European championships (almost two if we didn't lose in the play-off to England)

He had Leighton, Colin Hendry, Lambert, Collins and McAllister, McCoist in his time. The rest of his players were average.

Hendry and McCoist were average for Scotland

3 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

He was certainly a rock when gazza left him on his arse at wembley ; ditto Scholes at hampden

durie for me was a better forward at international level ; at least he could hold on to the ball

I think it's unfair to judge him in a couple of matches.

That's like me citing the match against Brazil in 98 when he was superb.

To be honest, I'd take either striker from that era over the current crop.

29 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I must admit that would probably have been my choice as well though he undoubtedly had better players than we have now. The only thing that I would be critical about was he didn't seem to bring enough youngsters through towards the end of his time although no doubt he would say there were not quality youngsters to bring through.

3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I must admit that would probably have been my choice as well though he undoubtedly had better players than we have now. The only thing that I would be critical about was he didn't seem to bring enough youngsters through towards the end of his time although no doubt he would say there were not quality youngsters to bring through.

Yeah, I'd say that, too. The zenith of our youngsters at the time was March Burchill and...errrr…..

Lots of people say about Brown, a tad unfairly. He gave Ferguson his debut at 20. 

4 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

He was certainly a rock when gazza left him on his arse at wembley ; ditto Scholes at hampden

A couple of poor moments there but Hendry saved our arses a lot more than he cost us.

3 goals conceded in an entire campaign.  We'd equalled that after one game this time.

Roxburgh and Brown were the only managers to get us to consecutive tournaments.  Arguably Roxburgh had the better players, Italia 90 and Euro 92 were our last good squads with loads of competition for places.  I'd also say that Brown had it harder with the breakup of the USSR and Yugoslavia meaning qualification was more difficult, although on the other hand both the Euro and WC finals were enlarged.

On balance, I'd go with Brown.  

I'd rank them in this order (since I've been going) -

1. Brown
  2. McLeish (1st time)
  3. Smith
  4. Strachan
  5. Vogts
  6. Levein
  7. McLeish (2nd time)
  8. Burley

The bottom 4 were all pretty terrible.  Burley was the biggest disappointment because I thought he'd do really well.  

56 minutes ago, aaid said:

Roxburgh and Brown were the only managers to get us to consecutive tournaments.  Arguably Roxburgh had the better players, Italia 90 and Euro 92 were our last good squads with loads of competition for places.  I'd also say that Brown had it harder with the breakup of the USSR and Yugoslavia meaning qualification was more difficult, although on the other hand both the Euro and WC finals were enlarged.

On balance, I'd go with Brown.  

You could say that Brown had easier qualification routes due to to Roxburgh's success but then qualification was pretty simple back then

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You could say that Brown had easier qualification routes due to to Roxburgh's success but then qualification was pretty simple back then

Not sure about that.  Brown took the job after Roxburgh failed to qualify for USA 94 when we were in pot 2, albeit in a tough group that included Italy, Switzerland and Portugal.   For Euro 96 we were in pot 3.   I can't rightly recall how they did the seedlings back then but I think they were a bit less empirical than they are these days.

As an aside, they obviously completely screwed up the seedings for USA 94 for UEFA.  12 spots were available, 37 nations entered, there were 6 groups and the top two went through.

Of the teams that qualified, 4 were from pot 1, 2 from pot 2,  2 from pot 3 and 4 from pot 4.  As many teams qualified from pot 4 as pot 1!

Think Roxburgh deserves more credit...

Not old enough to remember World Cup ‘74 but the way I remember it Euro ‘92 was the only finals where we didn’t make a mess of things somewhere along the line. We were one of only 8 teams to qualify and we finished with the 5th best record. IIRC there were two groups of four teams and the  top two in each group went through to the semis, we had the best record of the teams that missed out, meaning we were technically 5th in Europe! We lost our first two games but they were against Germany and Holland, they were close games where I remember is playing some great football.

Also I would argue that the 2-1 win against Sweden in ‘90 was our best ever WC result. To bounce back from the Costa Rica disaster to beat a good Sweden side. Better than beating Holland in ‘78 as they didn’t actually want to win that game....

21 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Was that the one we managed one goal in the tournament against a crap switzerland team , and were eliminated 

Yes. He was the only Scot to score in that tournament. He also came off the bench and scored within a minute against a Greece to all but secure us qualification. Also, if Seaman didn't let one through his legs at the end against Holland Coisty's goal would haveed us to the knockouts for the first time in history. What a terrible Scotland striker! All he ever did was score for us. 

Lol mccoist and hendry were "average" for Scotland. Seriously what planet are ppl on. Mccoist scored 19 goals in 61 apps, that's nearly a goal every three games. He scored a screamer against Switzerland that basically won us the game. He helped us qualify for actual tournaments, something we haven't done in years. Colin hendry was a rock for Scotland as well and we would never of gotten to tournaments without a top class cb like him.

Edited by mccaughey85

23 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol mccoist and hendry were "average" for Scotland. Seriously what planet are ppl on. Mccoist scored 19 goals in 61 apps, that's nearly a goal every three games. He scored a screamer against Switzerland that basically won us the game. He helped us qualify for actual tournaments, something we haven't done in years. Colin hendry was a rock for Scotland as well and we would never of gotten to tournaments without a top class cb like him.

Lot of mccoists goals were v diddy teams ; he looked like a little boy lost against some of the better teams , and had difficulty in holding up the ball for support to bring rest of team in ; he missed 3 one on ones v yugoslavia away in 89 ; switzerland was a great goal and he had a knack of pulling spectacular goals out like that ; i questioned his work rate at international level ; different ball game to 15-20 chances a game whilst at rangers , lots of supply , weaker opposition typically

not bad ; average is what id said, just to qualify that ; and not being brainwashed by weegie media