POLL | Who do you WANT to be appointed the next Scotland manager? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

POLL | Who do you WANT to be appointed the next Scotland manager?

PASTA Mick

POLL | Who do you WANT to be appointed the next Scotland manager?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be appointed the next Scotland manager?

• Steve Clarke
    • David Moyes
    • Gordon Strachan
    • Sam Allardyce
    • Malky Mackay
    • Derek Mcinnes
    • Craig Levein
    • Alex Neil
    • Scot Gemmill
    • Michael O'Neill
    • Paul Lambert
    • Ross Jack
    • Slaven Bilic
    • Shelley Kerr
    • Neil Lennon
    • Somebody the bookies haven't looked at

16 hours ago, Chripper said:

Off topic, but do people still understand the fraction system in betting?

Decimal makes much more sense to me.

I prefer decimal, but I do still understand what a fraction is. 

Back on topic. I want a young, hungry manager. To go with our young squad. 

3 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I prefer decimal, but I do still understand what a fraction is. 

Back on topic. I want a young, hungry manager. To go with our young squad. 

OK, I think I worded my post wrong, I think everyone understand how fractions work, as it's basis maths. I just find the decimal system more basic, which is pretty much what you need what you want to make a fast wager.

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

OK, I think I worded my post wrong, I think everyone understand how fractions work, as it's basis maths. I just find the decimal system more basic, which is pretty much what you need what you want to make a fast wager.

Agreed. 

Malky Mackay at 11.0. No thanks. 

12 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Hey man, the stats speak for themselves.;) 63 % win rate first time round, 67 % in his 2nd spell. I predict that no Scotland manager will better that in my life time. 

He has never drawn a competitive game, That must be some sort of record in itself?

Maybe if he had got a draw in Kasakhstan he would still have a job? He has been sacked based on that one result. Tough fukers to work for, that SFA.

I get the point that you make and i think there would be a strong chance he would have been in a job if we got a draw

For me it felt like there was something going on behind the scenes - there was the health rumors, it felt to me like there was a lot of players picking and choosing which games to turn up to, it didnt feel like the commitment levels from players were there, he didnt seem as a strong a person as he was first time round as well 

Edited by borojock

This idea of copying the England/Southgate model with Scott Gemmell is all well and good but there is one key difference between them and us - we don't have a St Georges Park which has made a world of difference in identifying and developing English talent.

Southgate has done very well with England but he has benefited from a golden generation of young players not to mention a peach of a World Cup draw and was generally garbage with Middlesbrough. If he went back to club management I wouldn't be surprised if he flopped again. 

Bilic is laughable - Payet carried that West Ham team and after he left things went pear shaped badly. Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. 

Edited by Saint4805

2 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

This idea of copying the England/Southgate model with Scott Gemmell is all well and good but there is one key difference between them and us - we don't have a St Georges Park which has made a world of difference in identifying and developing English talent.

Southgate has done very well with England but he has benefited from a golden generation of young players not to mention a peach of a World Cup draw and was generally garbage with Middlesbrough. If he went back to club management I wouldn't be surprised if he flopped again. 

which is why club and country mangement are completely different.     Good club manager might not be any good for a country as there is no transfer window.    

Steve Clark has done well to man manage his team without signing players from far and wide.    

I still say Dickov though.

1 minute ago, bonny78 said:

which is why club and country mangement are completely different.     Good club manager might not be any good for a country as there is no transfer window.    

Steve Clark has done well to man manage his team without signing players from far and wide.    

I still say Dickov though.

Fair comment. Steve Clarke would be my pick but I think he's holding out for a move down south and seems to prefer the day to day aspect of club management. 

There is talk of Celtic going for Villas-Boas which would be surprising if Lennon clinches the double. Lennon would be next choice after Clarke - no nonsense, tactically astute and can give the players a rocket when needed (something Strachan couldn't do). Fans could turn on him quickly if results didn't go his way however. 

9 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

Fair comment. Steve Clarke would be my pick but I think he's holding out for a move down south and seems to prefer the day to day aspect of club management. 

There is talk of Celtic going for Villas-Boas which would be surprising if Lennon clinches the double. Lennon would be next choice after Clarke - no nonsense, tactically astute and can give the players a rocket when needed (something Strachan couldn't do). Fans could turn on him quickly if results didn't go his way however. 

popcorn teeth won't be high on many people's list.     vile

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I don't think there's any chance with Bilic. He was on £3 million at whu and his last job was in Saudi, so doubt we would have been on the £250000 the SFA will offer. No chance with Neil either as he's just signed a three year extension this week.

It could be more than just money for Bilic though. The next manager has an amazing chance of coming in, shaping the team, getting us through the play-offs against similar ranked teams and then into Euro 2020 where we’d have two games at Hampden. The best chance EVER for someone to eventually take us through to the second round, for the first time ever. He’d be a Tartan Army legend within 15 months. 

And IF he does all that, give him a £1m bonus. The SFA will make millions through being co-hosts anyway. 

Pocketing £1m and walking away a legend after 15 months work is attractive to any manager 👍🏼

Edited by McTeeko

9 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

The SFA will make millions through being co-hosts anyway.

Damn. I hadn't thought of that.

Great. More money for them go to fancy restaurants, expensive holidays, etc, meanwhile Scottish football is burning.

The SFA remind me of Nero. (Contrary to popular belief he did not play the Violin while Rome burned) He was ambivalent to his people suffering and he was an ineffectual leader in a time of crisis. 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

It could be more than just money for Bilic though. The next manager has an amazing chance of coming in, shaping the team, getting us through the play-offs against similar ranked teams and then into Euro 2020 where we’d have two games at Hampden. The best chance EVER for someone to eventually take us through to the second round, for the first time ever. He’d be a Tartan Army legend within 15 months. 

And IF he does all that, give him a £1m bonus. The SFA will make millions through being co-hosts anyway. 

Pocketing £1m and walking away a legend after 15 months work is attractive to any manager 👍🏼

lay off the easter eggs mate lol.   we've not qualifed for 22 years and your talking about making it to the next round haha.

Even I wouldn't troll that low  🙂

27 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

lay off the easter eggs mate lol.   we've not qualifed for 22 years and your talking about making it to the next round haha.

Even I wouldn't troll that low  🙂

You don’t agree that two play-off matches against similar ranked teams then two games at Hampden at Euro 2020 gives us the best chance we’ve ever had of progressing?

Nae bother then 👍🏼

Edited by McTeeko

1 minute ago, McTeeko said:

You don’t agree that two play-off matches against similar ranked teams then two games at Hampden at Euro 2020 gives us the best chance we’ve ever had of progressing?

Nae bother then 👍🏼

yea but not to the next round in the actual tournment itself.

2 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Nae bother then 👍🏼

No. We've had better chances in the final group games at quite a few tournaments. The 0-0 against 10 man Uruguay stands out for me. 

So having to come through 4 games is not a great chance, especially with the current crop of players. 

We have a couple of good players, no more, and they need a better team around them for us to see the benefit. 

Our back 4 is very poor, bar the top 2 left backs, and now we also have to blood a new keeper. We also couldn't score in a brothel on payday. 

On 4/18/2019 at 5:26 PM, Alan said:

I voted Steve Clarke but he wont make us exciting.  We'll be organised, well drilled, more confident and difficult to beat.

These days Craig Brown and Andy Roxburgh are considered a golden era, so being difficult to beat wouldn't be a bad thing for starters. 

On 4/18/2019 at 7:24 PM, RenfrewBlue said:

There are no teams we should be beating.. We simply aren't that good. 

We should be beating teams like San Marino and the Faroes etc. Full time professional footballers should be beating part timers and amateurs every single time. 

In fairness we did beat San Marino but they were unlucky not to score and on another day we might have drawn that match. 

We can’t claim that we should be beating teams like Georgia, Israel and Kazakhstan these days because the sad fact is we don’t. Not away from home anyway and not on a regular basis.