POLL | Who do you WANT to be appointed the next Scotland manager? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

POLL | Who do you WANT to be appointed the next Scotland manager?

PASTA Mick

POLL | Who do you WANT to be appointed the next Scotland manager?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be appointed the next Scotland manager?

• Steve Clarke
    • David Moyes
    • Gordon Strachan
    • Sam Allardyce
    • Malky Mackay
    • Derek Mcinnes
    • Craig Levein
    • Alex Neil
    • Scot Gemmill
    • Michael O'Neill
    • Paul Lambert
    • Ross Jack
    • Slaven Bilic
    • Shelley Kerr
    • Neil Lennon
    • Somebody the bookies haven't looked at

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:26 PM, Alan said:

I voted Steve Clarke but he wont make us exciting.  We'll be organised, well drilled, more confident and difficult to beat.

No manager would make us exciting. We don't have the players for it. The only team who are exciting when Scotland play are the opposition. If we can make Kazakhstan look exciting then we truly do have a gift.

49 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Any fannies been suggesting their beloved "Walter" as a candidate yet ?

In fairness, the list is that bad that I'd take him over most of the names in the frame.

I mean, Levein?!?!

The thing with Bilic is, I can see it being another Vogts situation. He had a great record with Croatia, but that was because he had great players to work with. He's been sacked from all his club jobs (as far as I can see). We need someone who can get the best out of average players 

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

The thing with Bilic is, I can see it being another Vogts situation. He had a great record with Croatia, but that was because he had great players to work with. He's been sacked from all his club jobs (as far as I can see). We need someone who can get the best out of average players 

Plus apparently he had seven assistant managers at Al-Ittihad.

I think he may be a wee bit precious for the Scotland job. I mean, what where the assistant doing? One to do his laundry, one to drive him, one to fan him as he lays on his hammock? etc.

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Any fannies been suggesting their beloved "Walter" as a candidate yet ?

3 hours ago, Chripper said:

In fairness, the list is that bad that I'd take him over most of the names in the frame.

I mean, Levein?!?!

If Smith, Levein or Strachan get the job, I don't see me being back at Hampden for a long time. 

4 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

If Smith, Levein or Strachan get the job, I don't see me being back at Hampden for a long time. 

I wouldn't actually mind if Smith got it. I might be alone in that one.

When we won the Kirin cup in 2006, including a 5:1 win against Bulgaria, it was the best football I've ever seen Scotland play.

Just now, Chripper said:

I wouldn't actually mind if Smith got it. I might be alone in that one.

When we won the Kirin cup in 2006, including a 5:1 win against Bulgaria, it was the best football I've ever seen Scotland play.

Unfortunately, the bit of you comment that sticks out most to me is "2006". That was a long time ago, and the likes of Smith and McLeish have had their day. Just look at Mourinho, people are saying he's past it and he's about 15 years younger than both of them

1 minute ago, stevenmcn said:

Unfortunately, the bit of you comment that sticks out most to me is "2006". That was a long time ago, and the likes of Smith and McLeish have had their day. Just look at Mourinho, people are saying he's past it and he's about 15 years younger than both of them

I know. I noted the year, too.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the job on a permanent basis.

Personally I'd push the boat out for Steve Clarke as well as giving his free reign to implement changes to improve Scottish football, even if the clubs don't like it.

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

I know. I noted the year, too.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the job on a permanent basis.

Personally I'd push the boat out for Steve Clarke as well as giving his free reign to implement changes to improve Scottish football, even if the clubs don't like it.

I agree. Personally I'd go to Clarke with a blank piece of paper, ask him to write down his demands, then implement then. 

1 minute ago, stevenmcn said:

I agree. Personally I'd go to Clarke with a blank piece of paper, ask him to write down his demands, then implement then. 

Definitely.

The guy has been assistant manager at Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea. I think it's fair to say that he knows what he's doing and he has progressive ideas on how to take Scottish football forward. If the SFA have any will to improve Scottish football and the Scotland national team they will go to Clarke and give him whatever tools he requires to bring Scottish football into the 21st century.

3 hours ago, Chripper said:

Definitely.

The guy has been assistant manager at Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea. I think it's fair to say that he knows what he's doing and he has progressive ideas on how to take Scottish football forward. If the SFA have any will to improve Scottish football and the Scotland national team they will go to Clarke and give him whatever tools he requires to bring Scottish football into the 21st century.

Well we all know that's where it all falls down. They've probably already sounded out Walter Smith.

20 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Well we all know that's where it all falls down. They've probably already sounded out Walter Smith.

Nah. They ignored him the previous time, I don't think they'd bother this time, either.

I would be surprised if they have a shortlist, or even a long list.

can you imagine if a player pulled a sicky when Souness was the manager??

can see Souness swaggering round to the boy's house and knocking on the door (ignoring the doorbell).  

"can i just say something here.....c mon.....out ya come....  "

opens letterbox and beckons with the finger

"yep...for sure....    "

14 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Souness would be good.  Scotland legend and all round good guy!

I remember reading a post a while back (not accusing you of posting it. Cannae mind who it was but it wasn’t you) just before or after McLeish was appointed saying McLeish was a dinosaur and Souness should have been given the job. 

If McLeish is a dinosaur then Souness must be the equivalent of the primordial soup that first spawned life on Earth.  

I’ve always thought Souness would be no good as Scotland manager as one of his strengths was ruling with an iron fist and almost scaring players into playing well. Fine for club level but you but you can’t really do that at international level as a lot of players could just refuse to be selected if they hate the manager.  

There are two main reasons that Souness won’t be appointed though in my opinion.

Firstly, I don’t think he’s in the best of health and is quite happy away from the stress of management. 

Secondly, he hates the SFA for the way they treated him the last time he was in the running for the job. He’d probably tell Maxwell to shove the job right up his shiter if he was offered it. 

Clark is in a no lose situation here.  

Currently stock riding high -  ( what else can he do at Killie_ ( ill await flak from messers Humper and Poke for that) 

55 years old- Take SCOTLAND To Euro 2020 and W/C 2022  ( very probable with current squad with decent coach/manager.and leave Scotland at 60 years old and walk into a top job down south..

In five years time he would be  a Scotland and Killie Legend.   

He could have a Scottish based Assistant, Gary Caldwell?/ Kenny Miller? John Kennedy?  Austin Guy at Hearts, etc

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I remember reading a post a while back (not accusing you of posting it. Cannae mind who it was but it wasn’t you) just before or after McLeish was appointed saying McLeish was a dinosaur and Souness should have been given the job. 

If McLeish is a dinosaur then Souness must be the equivalent of the primordial soup that first spawned life on Earth.  

I’ve always thought Souness would be no good as Scotland manager as one of his strengths was ruling with an iron fist and almost scaring players into playing well. Fine for club level but you but you can’t really do that at international level as a lot of players could just refuse to be selected if they hate the manager.  

There are two main reasons that Souness won’t be appointed though in my opinion.

Firstly, I don’t think he’s in the best of health and is quite happy away from the stress of management. 

Secondly, he hates the SFA for the way they treated him the last time he was in the running for the job. He’d probably tell Maxwell to shove the job right up his shiter if he was offered it. 

Ha ha ha, might have been me as I was all for McLeish being given a chance.  Wee bit of a joke about souness.  I think you are right in the game has moved on.  Old school managers like stein or SAF would struggle as the modern day snowflake player just wouldnt bother turning up for Scotland.  They all need loved instead of their arses kicked.  Ironically I think strachan was quite good at that... he shouldn’t have been fired.