The Scotland manager... - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Scotland manager...

Chripper

3 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I understand what you're saying, but do you genuinely belive it can happen? 

Good question.

Could it happen? Yes. You see governments being overthrown by their people (usually with violence, which I would never condone), and this is just a little FA in comparison. If the fans stood up, en mass, and really took the fight to the SFA, via picketing, via boycotts of games and tickets and official merchandise, banners, chanting, and I'm talking about a sustained tactic over years, then yes, I think it can happen.

The chanting in San Marino from the Tartan Army of "Sack the board" was a watershed moment. I've never, ever witnessed or heard any discontentment from the Tartan Army before. We usually take hardship with a wink and a smile, not this time, though. 

I hope that the fans that do attend the Cyrus match (hopefully there's not many of them) make as much of a statement that they can for the entire 90 minutes. From there it can snowball.

We're at a crossroads. It's either put up with the SFA for ever or rattle their cages.

15 hours ago, Chripper said:

I absolutely agree.

This chopping and changing managers will do practically zilch.

An absolute overhaul of the way that the entire structure of Scottish football is run, from top to bottom, as well as gutting out the SFA and bringing in people who actually know about the game... I know that it's a radical idea bring in football people to actually structure a football association, but why the hell not.

Clarke might have the stature though to insist on certain changes in the background.

10 hours ago, WeLuvIrnBru said:

Of course things would improve with a top manager.

I am getting a bit fed up with the "does not matter who is manager as our players are awful" mentality.  It is this very train of thought that is killing our game domestically and at international level.

A more positive perspective from the press and the fans may well help us achieve more.  Half of the time we are beaten before a  ball is kicked.  It is no wonder that we have so many players withdraw.  Our attitute stinks at times...this must filter down to the players, who must think...what is the point, we are not good enough?

We have very decent players.  Our captain has been (including this season) instrumental to leading his club team to 2 successive Champions League semi finals, and has a shot of winning a league winners medal at one of the world's top leagues.  We have Fraser too, who is one of the top assisters in the very same league with a bang average side, and being touted with a move to Arsenal.  A slew of very deent professionals at our top Scottish team, the best of which (in my opinion) being Tierney, I do think he will be in one of europe's top leagues very soon.  McKenna, whilst having a lot to learn, is very promising, and valued in the £10million bracket.  Bates...getting rave reviews in Germany.  McTominay, bossing games versus PSG, and playing for one of the world's top teams.  We have the like of Gilmour, who I believe will be top quality, coming through.  Possibily Dembele, although attitudes such as this will ultimately force him to chose England over us.

In Griffiths' absense we do lack a decent striker.  But if Northern Ireland can make Maggenis look decent, then the like of McBurnie and S Fletcher can be made into world beaters.

It is not all doom and gloom, and what I guess I am trying to day is, given the right manager, we will be a LOT better.  No more of this defeatist attitude that had plagued our game for too long.

Anyway...rant over.

Fantastic post.

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Clarke might have the stature though to insist on certain changes in the background.

I don't think the SFA would give a manager the job if they insisted that they actually did stuff.

4 minutes ago, The Ormond said:

Fantastic post

Yes. Awesome post it was. Let's just pretend that things are rosy, shall we?

McKenna is poised to join Real Madrid. McBurnie is about to join Juventus for £1.2bn. Tierney is in talks with Barcelona about a trade with Messi. And Kevin McDonald, well, talk in the clocktower is that he's about to join Manchester City for £1 and a tube of smarties.

We can all pretend that everything is rosy and that the future is bright and that we have a human conveyer belt churning out superstar after superstar. Fine.

Personally, I'd rather be a realist and discuss the barren waste ground that is Scottish football.

It just occurred to me that some potential managers may not want to work with a "performance director" and they might need to get rid of Mackay or employ him in another role.

Btw did I not read on here a couple of weeks ago that some of the players had complained to the SFA about Mackay, although no details were given ?

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It just occurred to me that some potential managers may not want to work with a "performance director" and they might need to get rid of Mackay or employ him in another role.

Btw did I not read on here a couple of weeks ago that some of the players had complained to the SFA about Mackay, although no details were given ?

A top manager may have a view on it, but the manager the SFA appoints will just be glad to receive a wage.

I don't recall.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Something along the lines of Strachan went a year unbeaten before getting the sack...MacKay made mass changes for the 1 game he was in charge and insisted the new manger worked with the new set of players leading to several of our more experienced players (like McArthur and Snodgrass) taking the hump. 

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

I don't think the SFA would give a manager the job if they insisted that they actually did stuff.

Yes. Awesome post it was. Let's just pretend that things are rosy, shall we?

McKenna is poised to join Real Madrid. McBurnie is about to join Juventus for £1.2bn. Tierney is in talks with Barcelona about a trade with Messi. And Kevin McDonald, well, talk in the clocktower is that he's about to join Manchester City for £1 and a tube of smarties.

We can all pretend that everything is rosy and that the future is bright and that we have a human conveyer belt churning out superstar after superstar. Fine.

Personally, I'd rather be a realist and discuss the barren waste ground that is Scottish football.

My word.  I never ever alluded to anything like that.  We have decent players.....not world beaters.  I certainly think that we have better players rhan Northern Ireland.  They have qualified with worse players than us.

We can qualify and be so much better than we are with a decent manager.   I am not saying we will every be world beaters.....but we have quality, and enough to certainly qualify for the European finals.

Edited by WeLuvIrnBru

7 minutes ago, WeLuvIrnBru said:

My word.  I never ever alluded to anything like that.  We have decent players.....not world beaters.  I certainly think that we have better players rhan Northern Ireland.  They have qualified with worse players than us.

We can qualify and be so much better than we are with a decent manager.   I am not saying we will every be world beaters.....but we have quality, and enough to certainly qualify for the European finals.

No, I know. It was me going all eductio ad absurdum. 

I'm not interesting In anything short term such as qualifying. It's evident that we can't, even with a decent manager at the helm. Watch the Kazakhstan match again. Our players froze. It's as simple as that. They froze. People can point the finger of blame to McLeish all they like, the fact is, the players simply are petrified at this level. 

I'm not taking anything away from Kazakhstan, as they were fantastic. They played with a system and they absolutely nailed it! They have inferior players, so they played in a system that managed to condense the pitch, pack the middle and pretty much smother our players when we had the ball In midfield. They reminded me of how we used to play under Craig Brown.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

No, I know. It was me going all eductio ad absurdum. 

I'm not interesting In anything short term such as qualifying. It's evident that we can't, even with a decent manager at the helm. Watch the Kazakhstan match again. Our players froze. It's as simple as that. They froze. People can point the finger of blame to McLeish all they like, the fact is, the players simply are petrified at this level. 

I'm not taking anything away from Kazakhstan, as they were fantastic. They played with a system and they absolutely nailed it! They have inferior players, so they played in a system that managed to condense the pitch, pack the middle and pretty much smother our players when we had the ball In midfield. They reminded me of how we used to play under Craig Brown.

You're not making much sense. Other teams can do it with inferior players if they're organised and play to a system, but we couldn't so we shouldn't even bother?

17 minutes ago, daviebee said:

You're not making much sense. Other teams can do it with inferior players if they're organised and play to a system, but we couldn't so we shouldn't even bother?

We've been trying to that for god knows how many years, where has that actually gotten us?

It's time to rip up the tried and failed script.

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Something along the lines of Strachan went a year unbeaten before getting the sack...MacKay made mass changes for the 1 game he was in charge and insisted the new manger worked with the new set of players leading to several of our more experienced players (like McArthur and Snodgrass) taking the hump. 

What fucking right does he have to demand that ? :blink:

49 minutes ago, Chripper said:

We've been trying to that for god knows how many years, where has that actually gotten us?

It's time to rip up the tried and failed script.

Wait, I thought you've been saying we haven't been trying that since Brown? 

6 hours ago, WeLuvIrnBru said:

Exactly 

On 4/18/2019 at 9:26 PM, Chripper said:

Well, one is playing against free transfers and the other in one of the best leagues in the world.

McGregor may be better, but it's not by much.

I have to disagree.

McDonald largely warms the bench at Fulham and until recently played in the lower leagues in England. McGregor has played regularly at European level and looked competent and I have seen both at international level and McGregor is way above McDonald.