The Scotland manager... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Scotland manager...

Chripper

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Against Albania and Israel, though.

Israel beat Austria 4-2 not so long ago. Maybe they aren't so bad.

Christie and Mcgregor both performed against bundesliga opposition. I'm not saying they are world beaters but they have decent quality. I would rather have these players than not have them.

2 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Israel beat Austria 4-2 not so long ago. Maybe they aren't so bad.

Christie and Mcgregor both performed against bundesliga opposition. I'm not saying they are world beaters but they have decent quality. I would rather have these players than not have them.

Austria aren't all that good, either.

Christie, McGregor, Fletch, McDonald, Shinnie, etc. You could throw a blanket over them in terms of quality. There's much of a muchness.

1 minute ago, bazmidd said:

Very unfair on Calum McGregor who has produced Man of the Match performances and big goals in Europe for Celtic.

Against who? Personally I don't rate him. Southampton bought Armstrong for around £8m, he's around the same quality as McGregor, and Armstrong is warming the bench.

Don't believe the hype, we only have one top central midfielder. The rest are English Championship/Bottom of the EPL standard.

1 minute ago, tartanmartin said:

I want change at board level as well Chripper.

Out of interest can you tell me who you'd remove on the board and your suggestions for replacement? Also can you tell me how this board should be elected?

Who would I remove? An easier question would be "who would I keep?"

A football association should have at least a handful of football people on the board, so I'm saying that there should be a smattering of football experts on the SFA board. We have ex pros who know what they're doing and have an idea or two, or better yet, go abroad and employ progressive football people that would shake up the entire framework of Scottish football.

And for starters, I would tell Petrie that he has no place at the helm of the SFA. He's not a football person, he's never been a football person, he's an accountant. He might know figures but he doesn't know a shred about football.

43 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I want us to be crap. I'm 100% serious with this one. I want the SFA out, and if that means we get worse, then I suppose I'd take it. Wouldn't you?

Fletcher was verging towards world class, I think we all saw this, even United fans who hated him to begin with. 

Here's an idea, why not have a decent manager, improve results and try to get rid of the SFA board at the same time. These people probably can't be sacked and they're not going to throw their gravy train away, so I don't think just "being crap" is going to work. 

Fletcher might have been verging on world class with Man U but very rarely showed it in a Scotland shirt IMO.

Can you put names to who you would keep? And name some folk you'd like to replace the ones you're sacking? And also a way that we get this board in place rather than the existing process.

For example I don't think the Chief Executive has had a long enough time in role yet and would keep him just now. But if he was to walk then I'd like Leanne Dempster in.

19 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Here's an idea, why not have a decent manager, improve results and try to get rid of the SFA board at the same time. These people probably can't be sacked and they're not going to throw their gravy train away, so I don't think just "being crap" is going to work. 

Fletcher might have been verging on world class with Man U but very rarely showed it in a Scotland shirt IMO.

I'd take that. I'd take anything as long as the SFA are taken down.

It's that ridiculous, though? Here's a bunch of people who aren't doing their jobs properly, who are imcompetent, so much so that they appoint an obviously frail man to be Scotland boss, and yet they cannot be fired. It's absolutely ridiculous and could only happen in Scotland!

If people don't like a government they overthrow them. The SFA should be physically taken out of office.

I'd say that he could only do what he did. The players around him weren't of the same standard. Put Rakitic in our team and he wouldn't be able to do very much.

18 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

Can you put names to who you would keep? And name some folk you'd like to replace the ones you're sacking? And also a way that we get this board in place rather than the existing process.

For example I don't think the Chief Executive has had a long enough time in role yet and would keep him just now. But if he was to walk then I'd like Leanne Dempster in.

I wouldn't keep any of them. I would literally get rid of them all and begin again. I would clear them out root and branch. Who would I bring in? Well, that's putting the cart before the horse. There are levels to the SFA, and any company, so I'd bring in a head-hunter to employ the best people for the job. The current lot were probably employed because of who they know, not what they know.

I'd like Dempster and Budge brought in. The business part of the SFA is a discussion for another time, though. I'd bring in Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, SAF, Fabio Capello, anyone and everyone who knows football and has a progress blueprint of how we can get out of this hole that they're stuck in.

The whole structure of Scottish football is broken. Have you been to a division one match lately (I refuse to say Championship)? Yeah, don't! Unless you want your neck in a brace for the next few days. The skill, the technique, the intelligence in the SPL is bad, but in lower leagues it's just laughable.

I have many ideas of how to improve Scottish football, just a shame the SFA is a dictatorship ruled by football Nazis who are immune from being fired.

Edited by Chripper

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

I'll give you Forrest, but the other three are awful.

Christie and McGregor have only looked good against free transfers in the SPL. And for McGinn, he's the McEnergizer Bunny, nothing more.

You know Forrest is literally playing against the exact same players, right?

Just seen you put McGregor in the same bracket as McDonald and Shinnie. Not much point in trying to debate with someone who thinks like that.

Edited by Tartan_McCole

2 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

You know Forrest is literally playing against the exact same players, right?

Just seen you put McGregor in the same bracket as McDonald and Shinnie. Not much point in trying to debate with someone who thinks like that.

I gave him Forrest, I didn't put Forrest in my list, nor would I.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

It's all about small increments. 

All the central midfielders, apart from McTominay, are pretty much around about the same standard. 

It’s not as black and white as the club you play for and what league you play in. 

To doubt McGregor’s technical ability is a bit unreasonable to be honest. For me, in this moment in time, McGregor is a better all round midfielder than McTominay. But at the same time, I would have McTominay in ahead of McGinn, who is a bit of a liability at international level.

On the same note, Forrest has shown in the past few seasons that he could play at the highest level, despite the fact he plays against so-called “diddies” every week. Just ask David Alaba........

Just now, SWMM82 said:

It’s not as black and white as the club you play for and what league you play in. 

To doubt McGregor’s technical ability is a bit unreasonable to be honest. For me, in this moment in time, McGregor is a better all round midfielder than McTominay. But at the same time, I would have McTominay in ahead of McGinn, who is a bit of a liability at international level.

On the same note, Forrest has shown in the past few seasons that he could play at the highest level, despite the fact he plays against so-called “diddies” every week. Just ask David Alaba........

It isn't and it is. In the case of Tierney, it clearly isn't, because he could definitely play at a higher level. As for the rest of our players, there's a reason no big team have put in bids.

Mmmmm… I'd say no to that one. McTominay is a better passer, a better tackler and his technique is superior. McGregor might beat him in terms of shooting, but I think that's about it. I'd say that McTominay has a better engine, too, as well as being much stronger.

I know. That's why I said "i'll give you Forrest", because he has shown signs that he's a good player. He wouldn't be out of my Scotland team. He could definitely hold his own in the EPL, the same as Fraser has.

Ask David Alaba? The Bundesliga isn't that bad. :P

We can argue the merits of the individual contributors all day and what level they are at, on paper Ryan Fraser is our best player, but what we need to be be is a good team. To help aid that, we need to have a decent manager who is used to being effective with a low sum of parts.  We need a good motivator and someone with tactical awareness and let me add .........with recent experience.

These in my opinion are the core requirements for our coach. Nationality or "plumbing" is irrelevant.

20 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

We can argue the merits of the individual contributors all day and what level they are at, on paper Ryan Fraser is our best player, but what we need to be be is a good team. To help aid that, we need to have a decent manager who is used to being effective with a low sum of parts.  We need a good motivator and someone with tactical awareness and let me add .........with recent experience.

These in my opinion are the core requirements for our coach. Nationality or "plumbing" is irrelevant.

Agreed.

I would much rather the Scotland fans focus on how to break the SFA, though.

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

Agreed.

I would much rather the Scotland fans focus on how to break the SFA, though.

YES YES and YES again.  Apparently the SFA told BBC one story and Sky another - was he sacked or was it mutual?

The SFA is incompetent.

Just now, romanticscot said:

YES YES and YES again.  Apparently the SFA told BBC one story and Sky another - was he sacked or was it mutual?

The SFA is incompetent.

*sigh*

Sadly, I can believe it.

I'm done with the SFA. In any other company in the world if there's an employee who's incompetent, they get fired. But the SFA are a different breed, for some reason it would appear that every single member is unsackable, hell, if they're useless enough they may even get promoted to president like Petrie.

In any government if the people aren't happy, they either vote to get them out or in more extreme cases they take them down by force.

We don't have a vote, so I'm cool with the other option.

We need to have a public voice, we need to say here are our expectations of the new manager and here are our list of demands, if those are not met there you can expend a freeze on merchandise spend, and a boycott of matches.  Financially is the only way we can hurt them and force change.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Nor has Robertson so far, just another example of a world class player who needs world class players around him.

You could argue that if they need other top players around them then they're not world class. Gareth Bale being a prime example.

1 minute ago, romanticscot said:

We need to have a public voice, we need to say here are our expectations of the new manager and here are our list of demands, if those are not met there you can expend a freeze on merchandise spend, and a boycott of matches.  Financially is the only way we can hurt them and force change.

As well the expectations of the SFA. People seem to forget that the SFA work for us. They're our employees. Therefore, we are well without our rights to be able to have a say in how the SFA is run and outline our expectations. If those expectations aren't adhered to, head's should roll.

I think so. Personally I'm not going to give them another penny of my money. I've officially had enough. I really hope I'm not the only one who thinks that. We all have our petty little squabbles in this place, partisan opinions, etc, but for the love of Scotland I want us to come together on this one.

I'm at the end of my tether.